The Star: Tyler Bozak accuses Boston Bruins of ‘cheating better’ on faceoffs in NHL playoffs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tyler Bozak says the Boston Bruins are cheating.

He is, too. But the Bruins are cheating better. And that’s a big reason why the Bruins beat the Maple Leafs 5-2 on Monday to take a 2-games-to-1 lead in their best-of-7 Stanley Cup Eastern Conference quarter-final.

“They’re the best team in the league at them (faceoffs),” said Bozak. “They’ve got the best guy in the league. (Patrice) Bergeron. It’s going to be hard to beat guys like that.

“Thought maybe they were cheating a little bit. So I tried to cheat. Your timing can be off by half a second. You’re going to have an off night. You’re not going to get away with mistakes in the circle with off-timing with the guys they have.

“I cheat, too. We all cheat. They were just cheating better.”

continued ...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ating_better_on_faceoffs_in_nhl_playoffs.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Not really an accusation so much as an accurate descpription of how faceoffs work in the NHL, and an admission that he didn't cheat well last night.

Agreed with Carlyle, normally you'd hear these stories from an away team, seemed like Bozak was getting shafted way too often last night.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bruins are the best faceoff team in the NHL, I think it's reasonable to say the linesmen give them the most leeway, I don't know how Bozak could get tossed so much last night when we were the home team, going to have to adjust since possession is so much a key in the playoffs.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Bruins are the best faceoff team in the NHL, I think it's reasonable to say the linesmen give them the most leeway, I don't know how Bozak could get tossed so much last night when we were the home team, going to have to adjust since possession is so much a key in the playoffs.

Good point, like any subjective call from the ref, faceoffs aren't immune from reptuation and history clouding the observer's judgement.

Too bad, it definitely reaches a self-sustaining point, as last night showed.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Why the eff do the refs have the ability to throw guys out so often to begin with. Such bs the way they've been throwing guys out in the Habs/Sens series and our Leafs' series. Refs should not have such a big impact on the game.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Why the eff do the refs have the ability to throw guys out so often to begin with. Such bs the way they've been throwing guys out in the Habs/Sens series and our Leafs' series. Refs should not have such a big impact on the game.
Did you miss the part where he admitted that everyone cheats? If the players just put their sticks on the white ice inside the dot you don't have this nonsense. All I see is the refs hold the puck above the dot and the players start flailing their sticks before it's dropped.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Did you miss the part where he admitted that everyone cheats? If the players just put their sticks on the white ice inside the dot you don't have this nonsense. All I see is the refs hold the puck above the dot and the players start flailing their sticks before it's dropped.

I'm just going off of what I see. I didn't see guys getting thrown out of the dot nearly as much in the regular season as I've seen these playoffs. Zebras need to be consistent.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'm just going off of what I see. I didn't see guys getting thrown out of the dot nearly as much in the regular season as I've seen these playoffs. Zebras need to be consistent.
I agree they need to be more consistent because I didn't see any difference between what Bozak and the Bruins' players were doing. The only way to actually fix the problem is to either call it MORE often or let the cheating go.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
I agree they need to be more consistent because I didn't see any difference between what Bozak and the Bruins' players were doing. The only way to actually fix the problem is to either call it MORE often or let the cheating go.

Better yet, give a delay of game penalty, then we'll see the cheating pull back a little.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
I couldn't hardly take it anymore by the end of the game. Someone was getting tossed every single faceoff for a large chunk of the game. Usually it was the Leaf player getting tossed for absolutely nothing. These damn failed Refs!!!

Alflives*

Better yet, give a delay of game penalty, then we'll see the cheating pull back a little.

I like Bozak, but he needs to shut up and just play harder. He needs to take a page from Kessel's book. If any one Leaf has the right to speak up about unfair refereeing it's him. He gets pounded every shift by a freaking giant, but he keeps his trap shut and just plays harder.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
This article makes it seem like he was complaining when he really wasn't at all. He admitted he was off.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is an easy review for the league.

Check the tape and if the Bruin wasn't putting his stick down first then the linesmen should be replaced from the playoffs.

It isn't subjective, it is black and white. Visiting player stick down first.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I've never seen it as bad and one-sided as the 2nd period of last night. It was absurdity.

There was an abnormal amount of players being tossed from the dot last night..

I also can't remember a time or game with this regularity.

You would think the refs would instruct the players what was getting them tossed to allow them to correct it, unless it was simply cheating to gain an upper hand.

saint2e

Aug 4, 2005
Kitchener, Ontario
The delay of game tactics (ie- purposely getting kicked out of a faceoff draw) are also a problem.

They need to penalize those situations as well as the "ohhh, really? That player WASN'T out on the ice for that icing? We didn't know, we'll get him right on now" delay to buy time for the team to recover a pretty sketchy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There was an abnormal amount of players being tossed from the dot last night..

I also can't remember a time or game with this regularity.

You would think the refs would instruct the players what was getting them tossed to allow them to correct it, unless it was simply cheating to gain an upper hand.

Kulemin was 100%, and he's usually decent, 50% regular season.

He's 5 wins 2 losses in the playoffs. Maybe put him there first, if he gets thrown out put the center in, but at least he isn't a 30% like McClement.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
The delay of game tactics (ie- purposely getting kicked out of a faceoff draw) are also a problem.

They need to penalize those situations as well as the "ohhh, really? That player WASN'T out on the ice for that icing? We didn't know, we'll get him right on now" delay to buy time for the team to recover a pretty sketchy.

This was my biggest problem last night. They were delaying the game. In black and white terms. It should absolutely have been a penalty on that icing fiasco. Totally ridiculous.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Here's an easy solution for that one, the player who came off the bench goes back to the bench, but the player who left the ice has to stay on the bench until after the face-off.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This article is titled in a rather deceiving way.

Bozak was not complaining or accusing anyone of anything.

He was describing how faceoffs work in the NHL, and credited the other team with being better than him at cheating on the draw, which (cheating) is a commonplace occurrence.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00