Player Discussion Tyler Benson - becoming what the Oilers need

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I'm a bit worried because he has not done very well in a bottom 6 role. He has been given more opportunities than he deserves imo and as mentioned does not have the skill set.

Had a decent game last night so hopefully he can build on that.

More opportunities then he deserves? Lmao he’s played 14 NHL games.

He seems to be finding a role that he can potentially grow and contribute more. His play is going in the right direction and as his confidence grows his skill will start to show kind of like what we’re seeing with McLeod the last few games.

Reactions: nabob

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully we see Benson - Ryan - Scevior once Ryan is healthy. I dont think the line will get scored on much, which should be the goal for a bottom 6 line (especially on this team).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
More opportunities then he deserves? Lmao he’s played 14 NHL games.

He seems to be finding a role that he can potentially grow and contribute more. His play is going in the right direction and as his confidence grows his skill will start to show kind of like what we’re seeing with McLeod the last few games.

Hope so. I personally didn't see enough good things from him in his training camps to warrant any NHL time myself but I agree 14 games with limited ice time is relatively small and hopefully he keeps gaining traction.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
To start this season I haven't been the biggest Benson booster, however the last couple games I've seen something important, he found his role and he's working towards consistency in it.

He's becoming a bottom-6 agitator with skill. Something this team has wanted.

He's constantly keeping his feet moving, he's hit everyone, especially star players and, frankly, he can get away with a few penalties early because the team's pk is so good, that when the league inevitable evens out he'll be a menace.

Props to the kids for finding a role and I hope he keeps working hard in.

Good on you for being able to adapt your opinion but I have to say to go from the extreme opinion you had on him mere days ago to this for me is as emblematic of the bipolar nature of this fanbase as anything I've witnessed on these boards. You were calling for everything short of a public execution. lol.

I like Benson and I think it's a positive outlook. I don't think penalties will remain an issue, he's a smart player. I don't know if he'll be an everyday agitator but it's an element to his game he's always had so it won't go anywhere either. I don't know if he has a long career but I find it plausible to believe a player that skilled, smart, and industrious will find a way to play.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Props to him for changing his game to try and carve out a niche for himself.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
He recent play reminds me of a grittier but less skilled version of Hall. Not sure if that’s a good thing but I don’t mind Oilers giving him more playing time

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Tell me you haven't watched him at all, without telling me you havent watched him at all.
I see him trying to be gritty and a pest while not being very good at it. Stick fouls don't make you a tough guy... every single player over 12 can do that. Was Giovanni being gritty by grabbing McDavid's leg out of desperation and high speed wrecking him?

Very much doubt any opposition player is worried about having to go up against that Benson guy in Edmonton. Good on him for trying I guess. And hope this post doesn't trigger you into insults again, didn't mean to hurt your feels.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
For me Dan Cleary has kind of always been his upside. I could see him as a 3rd line guy eventually if he keeps working hard and improving his game.

If a couple of the Oilers shooters could pan out he could be part of a third line that really contributes because he is still a guy with playmaking ability.

Three years from now

Benson Holloway Bourgault

could be a nice cheap third line.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I see him trying to be gritty and a pest while not being very good at it. Stick fouls don't make you a tough guy... every single player over 12 can do that. Was Giovanni being gritty by grabbing McDavid's leg out of desperation and high speed wrecking him?

Very much doubt any opposition player is worried about having to go up against that Benson guy in Edmonton. Good on him for trying I guess. And hope this post doesn't trigger you into insults again, didn't mean to hurt your feels.

Winnipeg had the snipers out for those "stick fouls". They legit looked like they got shot.

He's slowly improving, I think once he has more confidence he'll be a pretty good positive for your 4th line. He's already caused a couple scrums, only pisses odd the other team.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
He does need to get some points but has played quite well. I like the fact he's turning into a pest too lol. Edmonton hasn't had one of those is ages. I don't know enough about our other prospects to really know if any of them are agitators. I didn't realize how small Benson was. Looks a lot bigger and sturdier on the ice to me. Kind of surprised!

Reactions: Oilhawks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Tell me you haven't watched him at all, without telling me you havent watched him at all.
Yep after almost every whistle when he’s on the ice there are opposing players trying to take a swing at him. For someone to say he’s only thrown a crosscheck makes it obvious that they’re really only looking to highlight their own ignorance. I get that some posters don’t like the player and have hoped he fails from day one, but they’re only making themselves look bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobias Kahun

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You know Benson is a smart Canadian kid cause he realizes enough that his potential Top 6 skill set may not be enough for the NHL, and thus he’s fine with changing his game to something that’ll better suit the team. Not many skilled forwards learn this or accept this.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You know Benson is a smart Canadian kid cause he realizes enough that his potential Top 6 skill set may not be enough for the NHL, and thus he’s fine with changing his game to something that’ll better suit the team. Not many skilled forwards learn this or accept this.

If he could play 10 years in a bottom 6 role he could retire with enough to live off of the rest of his life if he was careful with his money. You would think that this would help motivate the change!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
If he could play 10 years in a bottom 6 role he could retire with enough to live off of the rest of his life if he was careful with his money. You would think that this would help motivate the change!
I'll bet he could carve out a real nice career for himself in Europe as well. Not that I want him gone.. I hope he keeps figuring it out.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Yep after almost every whistle when he’s on the ice there are opposing players trying to take a swing at him. For someone to say he’s only thrown a crosscheck makes it obvious that they’re really only looking to highlight their own ignorance. I get that some posters don’t like the player and have hoped he fails from day one, but they’re only making themselves look bad.
I focused on the crosscheck because it was being used as an example of being gritty in this thread which I disagree with. I also remember getting crosschecks like that one and gods damn that can send you to your knees.

No problem with your first sentence. If he can make that happen without the stick work instigating it than he will be an effective weasel. As an Oilers fan, I don't hope he fails because that would be Pejorative Slured. Definitely getting an Anton Lander career trajectory vibe though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is fine, and I tend to agree with this argument.

But in the case of a player that is 190lbs, average size, that has never been known to be physical, is this really a valid ongoing play for Benson. Does he have the strength, fight, to back up what he's starting on the ice which he inevitably will have to ahve when people start running him after a high stick? Right now we're just seeing the initial bit of Benson playing aggressive. I haven't seen this demonstrated from him here before. Will he be able to stand up to the inevitable push back? You only know anything about a players ongoing commitment to something if said player still does stuff like this after they've been punched in the face and had their head taken off. Over 50yrs of watching hockey, I've seen a lot of players try to walk tall and swing a stick. The vast majority don't necessarily continue.

So that whether Benson has "learned this" while he's playing 5mins a night is anybodies guess. The one thing going for him though is that he's the replaceable player on the ice any game so no opposing head coach is going to be too pleased with anybody dancing with him or squaring off because that might be taking somebody usefull out of the lineup.

A Benson with zero boxcars is a Belanger with no experience. That still manages to be -2 and have goals against despite having played 40mins all season.

More time required to see if Benson is actually adopting a role and niche. I would say his minutes alotted and games played isn't really backing that. Just that Benson is desperate to do something. At least he's that.

Reactions: TheNumber4

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I haven’t been able to watch the last two, but I’m happy to see Benson has been bringing what we always knew he had in that pest game.

I really believe he can carve out a career as a good bottom 6 player. He’s gritty, can get under the opposition skin, can PK, plays a solid two way game, and has enough skill that having him on a third line with a Foegele and good 3C (maybe McLeod or Holloway in the future) could be a threat to score, while also being good at both ends and creating energy.

I’d hate for him to be scratched after what sounds like 2 good games, but I think Tippett just wants all his fourth liners playing to keep them fresh, especially with the schedule the way it is.

ideally in the next few weeks he’s got a better idea of who our full time bottom 6 is and who’s a bench warmer. Not looking great for Turris and Perlini though with McLeod emerging and Benson looking better.

Hyman Mcdavid JP
DRY
Kassian McLeod Foegele
Benson Shore/Ryan Sceviour

is what I’m hoping to see going forward

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

But in the case of a player that is 190lbs, average size, that has never been known to be physical, is this really a valid ongoing play for Benson. Does he have the strength, fight, to back up what he's starting on the ice which he inevitably will have to ahve when people start running him after a high stick? Right now we're just seeing the initial bit of Benson playing aggressive. I haven't seen this demonstrated from him here before. Will he be able to stand up to the inevitable push back? You only know anything about a players ongoing commitment to something if said player still does stuff like this after they've been punched in the face and had their head taken off. Over 50yrs of watching hockey, I've seen a lot of players try to walk tall and swing a stick. The vast majority don't necessarily continue.

So that whether Benson has "learned this" while he's playing 5mins a night is anybodies guess. The one thing going for him though is that he's the replaceable player on the ice any game so no opposing head coach is going to be too pleased with anybody dancing with him or squaring off because that might be taking somebody usefull out of the lineup.

A Benson with zero boxcars is a Belanger with no experience. That still manages to be -2 and have goals against despite having played 40mins all season.

More time required to see if Benson is actually adopting a role and niche. I would say his minutes alotted and games played isn't really backing that. Just that Benson is desperate to do something. At least he's that.

very valid argument. Is this a role he’s carving, or him finally showing some desperation that may fade if he gets comfortable.

that said, I’ve loosely followed benson since before we drafted him, and he’s always had a pest side to him. He’s not one to throw massive hits, but he’s also always been hard on the puck, and not afraid to ride that line of pest and being a bit dirty.

whether or not he can bring it consistently in the NHL though when he risks getting his teeth punched in is going to really impact whether or not he stays imo.

Without the pest aspect, he doesn’t bring much that any other fourth liner could. Without that, AND his offence developing, he’s definitely not going to be a third liner.

I’m rooting for the kid, and he’s finally showing signs, but at this point it’s hard to justify any 8 minute player over another in this lineup.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

His physical play is not something he started this year. Even as a junior he had a real gritty side to his game. He even had a handful of pretty good tilts in Vancouver. That gritty part of his game continued in the AHL. Here are comments from Woodcroft in May of 2019:

"What he doesn’t get credit for is his competitiveness and his bite. Or for the subtleties in his game. His board work. His willingness to get dirty to find success."

Why AHL coaches, teammates have no doubt Tyler Benson will be NHLer - Sportsnet.ca

The guy has had lots of opportunities to give up on himself. He fought through a lot of obstacles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad