Player Discussion Tyler Benson - becoming what the Oilers need

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
To start this season I haven't been the biggest Benson booster, however the last couple games I've seen something important, he found his role and he's working towards consistency in it.

He's becoming a bottom-6 agitator with skill. Something this team has wanted.

He's constantly keeping his feet moving, he's hit everyone, especially star players and, frankly, he can get away with a few penalties early because the team's pk is so good, that when the league inevitable evens out he'll be a menace.

Props to the kids for finding a role and I hope he keeps working hard in.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
He's hasn't been a net negative which is a huge boost from previous years' bottom 6 guys and has shown a chippiness to his game that I didn't know he had (f*** Pionk and Demelo for the dives btw). He's generated some scoring chances too although nothing has converted yet (6 min per game TOI makes it hard to put up points).

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Takes a real hockey fan to notice the impact and evolution of a 4th line rookie playing 5 minutes a night.

Absolutely agree, he understands he's not going to be that 1st line winger he's been all his life, and needs to change and evolve his game into an NHL role player that focuses on momentum and defense rather than banking points. And he's bought into it all the way, only a matter of time until he gets rewarded with that first NHL goal, by playing the right way.

Tippett put it nicely, "Benny has sort of an irritating element to his game, and I like that.."

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Nice thing too is you can't teach a grinder to score but you can teach a scorer to grind. Nice when your bottom 6 still has skill to capitalize. It will come for Benson. I'm fine with him in the lineup to be honest.
Takes a real hockey fan to notice the impact and evolution of a 4th line rookie playing 5 minutes a night.

Absolutely agree, he understands he's not going to be that 1st line winger he's been all his life, and needs to change and evolve his game into an NHL role player that focuses on momentum and defense rather than banking points. And he's bought into it all the way, only a matter of time until he gets rewarded with that first NHL goal, by playing the right way.

Tippett put it nicely, "Benny has sort of an irritating element to his game, and I like that.."

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
He offers more on the ice than Perlini does for sure. I think he could do well playing with Drai as Draisaitl always enjoys playing with players who are good at making small area plays.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What I like about his game (about the only thing that really stands out right now) is that he’s being an effective pest. Other teams are noticing him, and other teams are annoyed. We don’t have a player like this and a player like this helps the team by drawing heat and attention off our other players. Maybe his skill and offence will come through too as he gets used to the speed of the game. But in the meantime, if he can keep up the Pest part of his job that gives us reason to keep him in the lineup anyways

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Some nice little chips of the puck to open ice for him to recover against Chicago. I know it looks like a nothing play, but that takes some anticipation and awareness to do successfully. He's got good hockey sense.
IIRC he was doing plays like that during part of the 5 minute shift where we absolutely goombastomped Chicago into oblivion, too bad no goals though.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Young player gets better. This was predictable. Imo he has lots of room to grow. McLeod too. The main difference between the two is that McLeod has had more time to work on his game in the NHL.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
For me Dan Cleary has kind of always been his upside. I could see him as a 3rd line guy eventually if he keeps working hard and improving his game.
Exactly what I was just thinking! Dan Cleary is a perfect comparison for him. When Devon Shore is healthy again, I'd really like to see him in the middle with Turris and Benson. I really like that combo, as I think Shore was playing really good when he went down and Turris seems to be finding traction with every game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He gets under the skin of opponents. I like that. Be nice to see him get the odd point and contribute. Hopefully it will come for him. By all accounts he is a good kid. My buddy had lots of praise when he coached him at Pursuit of Excellence.
Honestly I think that will come as he gets more under the opponent's skin, he'll get them distracted at being mad at him and use his skill to find some points.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Honestly I think that will come as he gets more under the opponent's skin, he'll get them distracted at being mad at him and use his skill to find some points.

I think that his passing and vision are his bread and butter. This is why IMO a finisher would be good for his line. I wouldn't mind Perlini to play opposite of him on the 4th line since he has a shooters mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad