Prospect Info: Ty Mueller: 105th Overall 2023 Draft (Nebraska-Omaha) - C

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't know anything about him. Completely unranked as far as I can tell.

Elite Prospects Scouting Report

Skaters who score at the rate Ty Mueller has to this point in his two-season college career are almost exclusively draft picks.

It’s just that simple. You look at Mueller’s rank in raw and per-game offence, and he’s the lone exception in a sea of players who’ve either heard their name called or walked the stage at the NHL Draft.

That Mueller has managed to keep pace after battling injuries in his sophomore season on one of the more anemic offences in the country just makes it all that much more impressive.

A real jack-of-all-trades-type of player, Mueller brought a little bit of everything to the table for Nebraska. He’s a capable two-way forward, with good supporting instincts away from the puck, mostly sound reads with it, and sufficiently fleet of foot. There wasn’t any assignment that the 5-foot-11 centre wasn’t up to last season.

Still, most if not all of Mueller’s physical tools rate as firmly average. There were flashes of quickness and legitimate skill that offered hope for his projection as a skater and handler, but even then, nothing beyond a 5-grade.

There’s cause for some level of optimism as a distributor, too. Mueller often displayed intelligence and an ability to identify the best option with the puck on his stick, but a lack of pace or touch undid many of these plays.

Ultimately, one can do a lot worse with a late-round pick than Mueller, but there’s a reason he slipped through the cracks in the last two drafts. The lack of any separating skill or an easily identifiable profile makes his projection a fraught one.

Reactions: The Poacher

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In his D+2. EP had him unranked, but did have a profile.

Seems to be a kind of generic two-way player in college. No above-average skills. Given his age, seems like a very low-upside pick.

Mania and Cagnoni were right there.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
He's pretty old, he went undrafted twice previously.

If he's worth it, I wonder if they can get him signed right away.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
This is a headscratcher at thus point in the draft. Seems like he could have been free in a year or two even.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Guys passed over twice are usually picked up in the 7th round
Love the NCAA just seems like who are you competing with on this, considering his age.
But maybe they know something we don’t

Heck just take cam Allen and save this guy for the 6th round

Last edited:

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
First pick I think the Canucks simply lost track of their list and quickly spat out a name.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
imagine having a lottery ticket and instead of choosing the ticket that can win you a million dollars you select the ticket at the same price that can win you 10 dollars lawl

May 31, 2006
Hating the pick because you can sign him as a UFA is just bad reasoning. If you like the player and feel that there's a strong chance another team will take him, then it makes sense. Not to mention as a FA he actually has to agree to sign with you.

I think double overagers are an underappreciated market inefficiency and it's nice to see us exploit this.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ron Delorme you're still here? Really though the Canucks lack a 5th and 7th round pick at this years draft, so you gotta pick these guys with your extra 4th rounders. At a glance good Alberta boy from Cochrane who went from the AJHL to the University of Nebraska.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hating the pick because you can sign him as a UFA is just bad reasoning. If you like the player and feel that there's a strong chance another team will take him, then it makes sense. Not to mention as a FA he actually has to agree to sign with you.

I think double overagers are an underappreciated market inefficiency and it's nice to see us exploit this.
Guy was undrafted 2 years in a row in his last year of eligibility with pedestrian numbers. No one is knocking down his door. He would have no reason not to take any NHL offer he got if he wanted any chance at the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad