Two sides: Close as they have ever been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
hockeyfan33 said:
so then work hard, grow your skills and become a hockey players, these guys did and have every right to get the salaries

The "right" to make a salary should be on par with the "right" to make a profit and keep the league in existence. If there is no "right" to make a profit (and there isn't), then a hockey player does not have a "right" to earn a salary. He has a "right" to negotiate individually for a contract, and collectively for a system, but not a "right" to earn a salary.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
The Messenger said:
I guess its reasonable for you to expect human beings to take 85% pay cuts to get to take home table scraps or change their occupation ..

I love to see the look on your face when your boss tells you that he is cutting your salary by even 24% .. Then if McDonalds will not employ you I guess you could always go to Burger King ...

Hey Sherlock, take a look at the US Airline Industry. Seems to be those 'unions' are taking concessions left and right just to stay EMPLOYED and for the BENEFIT of the BUSINESS and FUTURE EMPLOYMENT. For example, you have pilots who used to make $160,000-200,000 per year now making $90,000 with LESS job security and a significant chunk into their benefits.

Seriously, please explain your current level of education. Because a large majority of your posts display a clear lack of business maturity and understanding of the business world. To me, you haven't 'experienced' the working world where decisions that truly effect ones livelihood are made.

Making comparisons of your service industry counter job are not in play here. People that are employed in those jobs, mainly young-uns, do not have the same financial pressures of say 10 year employee of McD's as a marketing manager. Most likely, that person has education debt, mortgage, car payments, taxes, normal monthly bills, insurance, kids, etc. THAT is real world. This person would more than likely attempt to find another job IF faced with a 24% reduction from his current company. However, if all the other jobs are paying less or are not available, you bet your hand that this person would accept the 24% to stay gainfully employed and curtail their personal spending habits. Ever hear of the Defense industry crash in Long Island in the late 80's or in LA? Or the Tech crash in SF/SJ/SV in the late 90's? You would be amazed how many people lost high paying jobs, out of work for months/years because the industry changed, and the sacrifices people make to stay afloat. I guarantee you that you DO NOT want to face that in your life.

Seems to me that the concessions being asked of high 6 figure/7 figure athletes are nominal to the everyday white/blue collar worker that support those salaries...

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i don't think i'd compare the NHL to the airline companies. though the economic system definatly needed to change in the NHL, it doesn't seem like it was in immediate danger of falling apart. i'm sure i'll get flamed for saying that but it's not like the NHL was going to completely collapse on itself if it went one more month under the old CBA or something

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Levitate said:
i don't think i'd compare the NHL to the airline companies. though the economic system definatly needed to change in the NHL, it doesn't seem like it was in immediate danger of falling apart. i'm sure i'll get flamed for saying that but it's not like the NHL was going to completely collapse on itself if it went one more month under the old CBA or something

The comparison is made, not for the state of the industry comparison, but how sometimes, unfortunately or not, employees make concessions for the benefit of stability. Same here.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Take it for what it is but the guys at Hockeybird.com have two sources that said a deal is expected very soon and its close. They NEVER report rumours so you know thats not their thing.

They said the confirmation of the 1st source comes from "the horses mouth".

If it from someone directly involved in these negotiations wouldn't it be more appropriate for the confirmation to come from "the horse's ass?"

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
octopi said:
I know I already posted to this effect, but I just realized
If you say "As close as they have ever been"
Isn't that exactly the same as saying " No closer than they have ever
been?"

Donnie D said:
If it from someone directly involved in these negotiations wouldn't it be more appropriate for the confirmation to come from "the horse's ass?"

:clap: for two excellent posts!

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Boltsfan2029 said:

A brand new practice facility instead with unlimited use instead of a run down sheet of ice.

A state with no state income tax

A place with a low cost of living.

If the owner also owns a baseball or basketball team, access to games for him and his family.

Access to top schools

There are all kinds of things that are worth more than money. Things that very well could be more important than the almighty $$$.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Timmy said:
Wouldn't the players become a threat to their employers if they became educated?

I don't know. There are quite a few NHL players with degrees from Ivy League schools.

But.....for their children

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Icey said:
A brand new practice facility instead with unlimited use instead of a run down sheet of ice.

If the owner also owns a baseball or basketball team, access to games for him and his family.

Access to top schools

There are all kinds of things that are worth more than money. Things that very well could be more important than the almighty $$$.

Gotcha. I thought you meant perks for the players as opposed to the benefits of living in the area.

We have a lot of the above in Florida, along with gorgeous weather, nice beaches and lots of golf courses!

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Timmy said:
The "right" to make a salary should be on par with the "right" to make a profit and keep the league in existence. If there is no "right" to make a profit (and there isn't), then a hockey player does not have a "right" to earn a salary. He has a "right" to negotiate individually for a contract, and collectively for a system, but not a "right" to earn a salary.

Not that I am against some sort of "safty net"...

but... erh.. ah.... I think the owners have 100% of the "right" to make a profit in the old CBA.... and 100% of the needed ablity... Just a few owners and some bad judgment calls made it 100% improbable..

:biglaugh:

A person has a right to get paid whatever the heck he wants.. just as a person has the right to profit whatever the heck he wants.....

BUT....

A person is not going to always get what he wants to be paid.. just as a person is not going to profit what he wants to...

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Icey said:

Access to top schools

So you're saying Columbus already has an advantage over most other teams?

-Exceptional practice facility attached to Nationwide Arena (only attached practice rink in the league)

-Governor is dramatically cutting income tax

-Majority owner also owns a very exclusive golf course, we also have Muirfield Village, which will host the Memorial tournament here in a week and a half, it will be all over ESPN if you mistakenly tune in.

-Only team in the NHL with and exclusive private jet (Detriot shares one with the Pistons).

So how is this supposed to benefit the large market teams, every city has good things to offer.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Icey said:

Access to top schools

I thought that you were going to propose that all the teams relocate to Florida until I got to that last one.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
HockeyMan9 said:
So you're saying Columbus already has an advantage over most other teams?

-Exceptional practice facility attached to Nationwide Arena (only attached practice rink in the league)

-Governor is dramatically cutting income tax

-Majority owner also owns a very exclusive golf course, we also have Muirfield Village, which will host the Memorial tournament here in a week and a half, it will be all over ESPN if you mistakenly tune in.

-Only team in the NHL with and exclusive private jet (Detriot shares one with the Pistons).

So how is this supposed to benefit the large market teams, every city has good things to offer.

Because they can afford things like you mentioned. Columbus actually has more money that most realize. Do you not think the private jet and practice facility did not help lure Todd Marchment there two seasons ago? There are not many players that want out of Columbus. They are a young team, but give them a few more seasons and they will be considered a big market team. Do you think Edmonton is awaiting the delivery of its private jet?

Not every NHL city has something to lure players with. Some do and some have more than others. Players do look at other things than the paycheck. Florida and Dallas are attractive places for them in that there is no state income tax. How many want to go play in Pittsburgh with a beat up old arena like they have? Wouldn't you rather play in Phoenix, Columbus Philadelphia where you have a new arena?

A lot of times when you listen to players say why they signed with a particular team they mention the non-monetary items rather then the bucks the team threw at them. I just think the big market teams have a heads up in the department. Just my opinion.

GSC2k2*

hockeyfan33 said:
so then work hard, grow your skills and become a hockey players, these guys did and have every right to get the salaries

Man, I've never heard that argument. What an interesting angle! Hmm, that really gives us all something to think about. Thank you so much for bringing such a fresh viewpoint to the discussion. :shakehead

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Icey said:
Because they can afford things like you mentioned. Columbus actually has more money that most realize. Do you not think the private jet and practice facility did not help lure Todd Marchment there two seasons ago? There are not many players that want out of Columbus. They are a young team, but give them a few more seasons and they will be considered a big market team. Do you think Edmonton is awaiting the delivery of its private jet?

Not every NHL city has something to lure players with. Some do and some have more than others. Players do look at other things than the paycheck. Florida and Dallas are attractive places for them in that there is no state income tax. How many want to go play in Pittsburgh with a beat up old arena like they have? Wouldn't you rather play in Phoenix, Columbus Philadelphia where you have a new arena?

A lot of times when you listen to players say why they signed with a particular team they mention the non-monetary items rather then the bucks the team threw at them. I just think the big market teams have a heads up in the department. Just my opinion.

:biglaugh: or could it be the five year, grossly overpaid salary? Nawwwww... I can't name one player (other than Bobby Hull), that said he chose a team because of the money.

I agree there are times (rare though they may be, I certainly won't criticize a player for taking the biggest check), when a player chooses a team offering a slightly smaller salary, but Todd Marchant is the most unlikely candidate for that roll.

Brent Burns Beard