Two prospects taken in 2009 Draft remain with Edmonton Oilers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I agree, Musil as the first pick of the second round was the biggest red flag.

Do the Oilers really want to wait until 2016 -- two more years -- before making a decision on their scouting? I think that the sample set from 2008, 2009 and 2010 plus what 2011 is starting to shape up as is enough for me to determine that Stu MacGregor (and about 2/3 of the rest of the Amateur Scouts) needs to go.

well the oilers development sucks and they need to work on it better. Macct keeps saying how they spend more money on player development then most other teams--starting to think they spend it on bar tabs or something. If early reports are to be believe-- the 2012 draft could be a black hole for the oilers as well. While the drafted big guys after the first round-- most are considered long term projects that we will have to wait for them to get to the AHL or NHL

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
In the last decade the oilers have drafted 13 players in the first round. I believe we only have 7 of those still in our system. 5 players out of 13 are currently playing for the oilers, 3 of which are first overalls. So from 10 1st rounders in the past 10 years that weren't first overalls we've gotten 2 and coincidentally both are in recent trade rumors(gagner and eberle) thats either horrible drafting or development or both.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
But both have fallen off the map since getting drafted and so it is safe to say that we already know the oilers drafted a few busts in the 2011 draft

Its safe to say that the Oilers drafted a few busts... in 2011. And I can safely say that the Oilers (and every team) will draft a few busts in 2014.

Very few players drafted actually become regular NHL players. The key for me at least, is that the first round picks should pan out, and hopefully one player from those drafted in the second round and later, will pan out as a regular player.

I know that's not high expectations, but really drafting players is quite difficult. Not just for the OIlers but for every team.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
In the last decade the oilers have drafted 13 players in the first round. I believe we only have 7 of those still in our system. 5 players out of 13 are currently playing for the oilers, 3 of which are first overalls. So from 10 1st rounders in the past 10 years that weren't first overalls we've gotten 2 and coincidentally both are in recent trade rumors(gagner and eberle) thats either horrible drafting or development or both.

Yep, when you qualify everything like that it does appear horrible. Nice spin job!

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
It's funny this is a prospects board and so many people have no idea what they are talking about. I read 2009 is a vomit worthy draft. If you have 2 players play 200 NHL games from a draft (that's 7 picks) its successful. As far as we know (5 years is usually where u can determine a draft is successful or not) both 2008 and 2009 are successful or on the way to be. 2010 looks like it could be a homerun (if both pitlick and marincin play 200) and the rest are no where near determining. People like to throw away our first overall picks but everyone of them is in the discussion for best player that year which isn't always the case. The oilers suck and a lot of what they do can be bashed but the drafting has been average to good since macgregor started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad