Two prospects taken in 2009 Draft remain with Edmonton Oilers

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

As we look back at the 2009 NHL Draft, there are a few familiar names that are still active in the Oilers prospect system, but the majority have moved on from their affiliation with Edmonton.

In a somewhat uncharacteristic move for the Edmonton Oilers club, three of the six players drafted in 2009 are European-born. Only two of the six total draft selections, Magnus Paajarvi and Anton Lander, saw ice time with the Oilers club, but neither are currently on the team’s active roster. Lander and Cameron Abney are the only two players that the Oilers still currently hold rights to, both of which will become restricted free agents at the end of this season.… read more

More...

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
How many years are we supposed to patiently wait until we can judge management for the quality of their drafting?

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
Well, Kevin Lowe was the first ever entry draft pick in Oilers history, and is still an active member of the organization, so I think he knows how to get the most of a draft pick, if it's ever a concern...

chrisj

Mar 7, 2005
I know we all like to blame Kevin Lowe for everything... but you know, that was a Steve Tambellini draft... the guy who doesn't have a job here anymore.

But that was a brutal draft. Finally by the time 2010 comes around it looks like we will have a guy or two outside of our top pick that makes it.

Alawishis

...so anyway.
Mar 12, 2008
Sherwood Park
Isn't great to look at the draft armed with hindsight. We were all pretty pleased at the time that MPS fell down to us at 10. I don't remember anyone complaining about the pick at the time. All that being said he could still turn into a serviceable NHL player once he finds his niche.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Terrible player development. But wow what a weak ass draft. Bunch of busts after the mid first round.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
Most prospects do not turn out.

Believe it or not, if Lander turns into a full-time bottom six NHLer, that is actually a successful draft.

Yes, standards should be that low, realistically.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Was that the worst draft in the history of our franchise?

That draft got us half of Perron and Lander.

We should be vomiting.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Wasn't their Chief Scout turfed soon afterwards? Coincidentally that Chief Scout went on to Hockey Canada's National Junior Program were after failing there miserably was turfed from that plum assignment after 3 short years and is now scouting for the Buffalo Sabres. Good luck Buffalo. That is if he hasn't already been turfed from there.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
it is the 2 3rd rounders were pissed away that hurt the most.

Hesketh was always going to be a project--and his prospect report from this site is a prime example of why some people are amused by how this site reports on prospects. They were smart enough to redo his rankings--but not his review--which was nice of them

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/troy_hesketh/

When Abney was drafted we all knew what we drafted--we were hoping to be able to mold him from a slow moving coke machine into a player.. He never learned to use his size and learn how to skate or play the game. I remember watching him in preseason and hating nearly everything about him especially his bow and arrow style of fighting.

Bigos just turned pro and the team was playing for just folded in the ECHL

Rajala could become david vyborny 2.0-- the oilers bought him out to let him go home--he has decent hands and a good two way game. I think he may come back to the nhl when he is 28

Oliver Roy was a player that some poster believed had what it took to me a number 1 goalie--I assume they meant in the AHL or ECHL but not the nhl.

IF it was not for Ebrle the 2008 draft would be ten times worse

2010 Hall is saving that group until pitlick gets healthy and Marincin keeps things up as well. But after that things look ugly

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Well, Kevin Lowe was the first ever entry draft pick in Oilers history, and is still an active member of the organization, so I think he knows how to get the most of a draft pick, if it's ever a concern...

I think this will be one of the HFOil meme's until Lowe's gone.

Now gotta think of potential aviators...

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
2010 Hall is saving that group until pitlick gets healthy and Marincin keeps things up as well. But after that things look ugly

2011 isn't looking so hot, either. When will Stu MacGregor become accountable?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
2011 isn't looking so hot, either. When will Stu MacGregor become accountable?

Oh good lord, its customary to wait five years to analyze the draft year.

2011 flags are being raised for David Musil---his foot speed is not what we had hoped. Travis Ewanyk slowed by injuries since being drafted is struggling in the ahl. We drafted two finish goalies in Samu Perhonen and Frans Tuohimaa and both have fallen on hard times and are not where anyone hoped they would be. Samu Perhonen played well in the games I saw him play and thought he would be over in the oiler system by now, but the oilers let him walk this off season. Dillion simpson comes out of uni in march and should report to OK city. Tobias Reider was traded and Martin Gernat is in his first year of pro.

the fact the oilers let Samu Perhonen go and signed Frans Tuohimaa, still baffles me. But both have fallen off the map since getting drafted and so it is safe to say that we already know the oilers drafted a few busts in the 2011 draft

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
2011 flags are being raised for David Musil---his foot speed is not what we had hoped. Travis Ewanyk slowed by injuries since being drafted is struggling in the ahl. We drafted two finish goalies in Samu Perhonen and Frans Tuohimaa and both have fallen on hard times and are not where anyone hoped they would be. Samu Perhonen played well in the games I saw him play and thought he would be over in the oiler system by now, but the oilers let him walk this off season. Dillion simpson comes out of uni in march and should report to OK city. Tobias Reider was traded and Martin Gernat is in his first year of pro.

the fact the oilers let Samu Perhonen go and signed Frans Tuohimaa, still baffles me. But both have fallen off the map since getting drafted and so it is safe to say that we already know the oilers drafted a few busts in the 2011 draft

I agree, Musil as the first pick of the second round was the biggest red flag.

Do the Oilers really want to wait until 2016 -- two more years -- before making a decision on their scouting? I think that the sample set from 2008, 2009 and 2010 plus what 2011 is starting to shape up as is enough for me to determine that Stu MacGregor (and about 2/3 of the rest of the Amateur Scouts) needs to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad