Two New Bright Spots - And They Bode Well, Too

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm still very leery of Spooner in the defensive end. All the Bruins centers seem to get down below the goal line and battle for pucks there. B's seem to get in the most trouble down low when both defensemen end up behind the goal line. Spooner seems too slight (and too unwilling) to muck deep in the D zone.

That said, it is exciting once the puck is on his stick, especially if he's on the move. And God knows we can use some occasional excitement from this team.

There are plenty of defensively minded players on the roster. They can afford to have a guy who thinks offense first for a change. It's why they've looked far better since DK got hurt. They finally have some diversity on the roster.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Adding my kudos to Gordy's post. My only hope is that management is patient with this group and doesn't panic and make unwise decisions based upon the standings.

I hope, too, that Claude doesn't revert back to the old lineup once Campbell returns.

This is so obviously going to happen that I wish I could bet on it in Vegas. Easy money because Julien can't help himself. It's who he is, which is why PC has failed by not making him do what's right for the good of the team.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This is so obviously going to happen that I wish I could bet on it in Vegas. Easy money because Julien can't help himself. It's who he is, which is why PC has failed by not making him do what's right for the good of the team.
This influx of young talented forwards should open any coach's eyes. You exploit the assists that everyone brings. You're right, Chiarelli is failing if he doesn't tell Claude to open his eyes, adapt and play his best players.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This influx of young talented forwards should open any coach's eyes. You exploit the assists that everyone brings. You're right, Chiarelli is failing if he doesn't tell Claude to open his eyes, adapt and play his best players.

It should open his eyes, but it won't. I've seen it too many times before with this guy. It's why I want him gone. I'm tired of him picking the safe play over the one iwth upside, and I'm tired of PC/Cam letting him do it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
There are plenty of defensively minded players on the roster. They can afford to have a guy who thinks offense first for a change. It's why they've looked far better since DK got hurt. They finally have some diversity on the roster.

So if everyone is healthy, where would you want Spooner slotted?

Johnmbs1962

Jun 25, 2014
Marchand and Lucic have thrown their support behind having these guys up.....stated it has improved things on ice and in the locker room and everyone's just having fun out there. How many times can you say that this season......

Lucic is a different player on that line. There's gonna be some serious ups and downs with that line depending on who we're up against but we have to stop getting stuck on the idea that guys like Spooner aren't a fit in the system. Incorporating skill guys into the system is the only way it thrives IMO.....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So if everyone is healthy, where would you want Spooner slotted?

Doesn't matter, because everyone is not healthy. Saying there's no place for a guy who has helped is silly, IMO. It's on par with former Sox GM Lou Gorman saying where would we play Willie McGee? It's absurd, IMO.

To answer your question though, I'd keep that line intact, and if DK comes back, put him with Soda and Loui. Paille down on the 4th with Ferlin and Kelly. Campbell sitting. That way you're rolling 3 lines that can all score, and you have a stronger 4th.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
bode-miller1.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Totally agree. I can't get enough of Pastrnak's game. I am really excited about this kid. And I really love him on a line with Lucic.

Honestly, give this team a dependable #4 defenseman, and I feel good about them going into a 7 game series with most teams in the East. (assuming they can figure out how to beat Montreal again)

It's weird. Few would have said this even a week ago. Without getting silly, for the first time this year I feel things may be coming together, and the injection of these three young players is the reason why. Never felt that way with any of the other try outs, although I remain a Craig Cunningham fan. Hope he cleared waivers.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Hold on. That's only two games. No need to get too excited too soon. Our rookies will have their "bump on the road" extravaganzas and will have to live with it. It's clear that both Pasta and Spoony are giving us speed and energy but there guys still have to learn the game. Give me an half-season to evaluate both of them before making any conclusions. That said, Pasta is learning fast, very fast. Have no doubt that the guy will be a good player for us.

Fair enough.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
This thread confuses me.

The Bruins drafted Pasta, Spooner, Ferlin and Caron.

So...we can draft now?

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Agree with # 2, but I think you're over the top on #1.

While Ferlin has brought and energy and enthusiasm that hasn't been there.....Caron still is a waste of a roster spot. I'd take Soup out there with his occasional fisticuffs to get the team going (even if he loses most every bout) and his penalty killing ability over Caron any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That's how awful #38 is.

I've always respected GC, but for whatever reason, it hasn't worked this year, and it didn't work last year, either. I believe he should find another home, and wish him well.

As for Caron... he's everyone's favorite whipping boy (including mine). He's never going to score. He's this, he's that. I get it. But, he *is* a big body, and he and Ferlin appear to be feeding off one another in the physicality department, which the Bruins have lacked all season long. Caron was doing a lot of pushing and shoving near our goal in yesterday's game, and Ferlin registered multiple hits yet again. They're playing with attitude and energy.

I'll take that over anything I've seen on that line this year.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This why I (mostly) like having Bart in the team too. Balances out the slowness of 33 & 44.

Good point. Skating is his game, and he's used it good advantage since his most recent insertion into the line up.

But Bart as a top 4 D is a comical notion and makes me nervous headed into the final stretch, which is why I hope D help is on the way.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Adding my kudos to Gordy's post. My only hope is that management is patient with this group and doesn't panic and make unwise decisions based upon the standings.

I hope, too, that Claude doesn't revert back to the old lineup once Campbell returns.

Thanks. And he damn well better not.

For the time being I would keep DP on the third line, but to me, GC & DP should be moved. I don't want to attempt a resuscitation of 2/3rds of the Merlot Line. That ship has sailed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad