Two New Bright Spots - And They Bode Well, Too

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I loved what I saw last night from Looch-Spoons-Pasta, but I've seen enough forward lines flash then fizzle out that I'm not going to get too invested in them just yet. I want to see this combo get more games, even though it likely means not adding a forward at the trade deadline. Spooner & Lucic may have just found the magic beans they need to be effective in the NHL this year, after uneven starts for each of them.

Agree, but he's 18! Wait until he "grows into his frame." this young gun is offensively gifted yet willing to do the grunt work. And don't underestimate a positive, infectous, energetic shot of youth in the room.

Frankly, I attribute the B's resurgence in January to the addition of Pastrnak injecting some much-needed positivity into the locker room.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Agreed (hey, I`ll just follow ya around the boards this morning:laugh:)

Encouraged by Spoons improved play in his own zone and exceptionally surprised at Pasta`s willingness to take and give a hit, kid sure adds fun and passion to the game

:laugh: :laugh: Don't get me wrong: I like both of them. To me, Pasta has "Bergeron-esque" hockey IQ with an exceptional on ice vision. I'm very happy for the Spooner guy. He worked hard to play in the NHL and I always felt that Clode was a little bit unfair with him. Glad that he finally reach the point where he's a contributor for us. If he can continue to show what he learned in the AHL, it can give us options, for a big trade, in the off-season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
:laugh: :laugh: Don't get me wrong: I like both of them. To me, Pasta has "Bergeron-esque" hockey IQ with an exceptional on ice vision. I'm very happy for the Spooner guy. He worked hard to play in the NHL and I always felt that Clode was a little bit unfair with him. Glad that he finally reach the point where he's a contributor for us. If he can continue to show what he learned in the AHL, it can give us options, for a big trade, in the off-season.

yep, ya draft for two reasons

promote internally or use as a trade chip

aejk

May 18, 2011
A lot has been written about the Bruins needing to get heavier, but to me the most glaring difference (besides age) between 2011 and now has been speed. Pasta and Spooner give them the almost speed that Peverley and Seguin used to provide.

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
If he is a sample of what the new scouting dept. run by Gretzky can bring us, we might actually see some building from within that we missed during the 1990-2000's(with exception to a few good picks, not named Zack Hamill)

I like the start too. Hoping we see more gems in the first and second rounds in the coming years. Its nice having a young player who has speed, creative ability, and gets back to defend. Pasta is all over the ice...

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
A lot has been written about the Bruins needing to get heavier, but to me the most glaring difference (besides age) between 2011 and now has been speed. Pasta and Spooner give them the almost speed that Peverley and Seguin used to provide.

This why I (mostly) like having Bart in the team too. Balances out the slowness of 33 & 44.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
'midst the drear & angst that's been your 2014-2015 regular season B's, two recent developments of an encouraging nature that might make you smile going forward:

1) A newly formed, solid & energetic fourth line of Caron, Kelly & Ferlin. Two big bodies in JC & BF who play unspebctacular but physical, battling hockey, centered by Dr. Responsible. By far the best fourth line assembled this season. Ferlin has been an excellent addition. This line can become a significant asset.

The 4th line has been better in the absence of Campbell but Caron doesn't belong in the NHL. The game is too fast for him and if he gets to touch the puck during a game, it's purely by accident, not because of his hustle along the wall....anyone ever notice he never wins those battles?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Oh I agree completely man. I'm loving this kid's game. He's a breath of fresh air :yo:

honestly thought the big boys would wear him down until he put some muscle on, being proven wrong thus far

still needs some added muscle but man is this kid fun to watch, seems like he has a different move every time he touches the puck

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
what I really was encouraged watching yesterday on the feed I got was Looch on the bench with complete command of a conversation with both of the kids, the precise topic I clearly couldn`t say but it looked pretty obvious this was a vet leading the kids

From where we sit he is leading the two young players. He also seems to enjoy the role.

Looch makes space out there for Pasta and Spooner. I love watching this line.

Having this line and Bergy's line going is something. Marchy looks so good out there.

I like Ferlin too !

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Put him on what ever line you like but Pasta needs to play with Spooner and he needs to stay away from DK. I'm not trying to take anything away from DK but he voids Pasta's value by slowing things down. Pasta needs Spooner to help him speed things up.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bang on GH.

As weve talked about, Looch is only effective when moving his legs. These kids force him to do so.
Now usually two smallish rooks will be eaten alive on the same line. But having that battleship flying around with them at warp speed, thats one helluva deterant.

Its all good.

Win win

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good post. Spooner has been great but he should be playing well right now since so much is at stake for him and his career is on the line while everyone else is going through the motions in late Feb. Agree with the fourth linee easily the best we have put out this year. Lucic also looked great the 1-2 games he and Seguin ever played together.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“When young guys come into the lineup you hope they bring some sort of excitement — and also young skating legs,†said Lucic. “All three of them have the last couple of games. The main thing with young guys coming in, is you want to feed off their excitement from coming in and playing in the NHL. It’s good to see them playing with that and gaining more confidence as they play more games.

“We talk about playing with the puck and supporting each other. I think that’s helped with the chemistry part. We need to stay positive. We need to keep having fun and keep playing with excitement and that chemistry will keep happening.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ner_david_pastrnak_and_brian_ferlin_make_nice

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
“When young guys come into the lineup you hope they bring some sort of excitement — and also young skating legs,†said Lucic. “All three of them have the last couple of games. The main thing with young guys coming in, is you want to feed off their excitement from coming in and playing in the NHL. It’s good to see them playing with that and gaining more confidence as they play more games.

“We talk about playing with the puck and supporting each other. I think that’s helped with the chemistry part. We need to stay positive. We need to keep having fun and keep playing with excitement and that chemistry will keep happening.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ner_david_pastrnak_and_brian_ferlin_make_nice

Seeing them play well together, and hearing these comments, I can't help but take them as an indictment on how Julien and PC have handled this roster. It's criminal that players with skill and offensive upside have been skipped and passed over in favor of safer players that offer very little offensive upside.

5Minutes4Fighting

Light the Lamp!
Apr 9, 2010
Northern NJ
'midst the drear & angst that's been your 2014-2015 regular season B's, two recent developments of an encouraging nature that might make you smile going forward:

1) A newly formed, solid & energetic fourth line of Caron, Kelly & Ferlin. Two big bodies in JC & BF who play unspebctacular but physical, battling hockey, centered by Dr. Responsible. By far the best fourth line assembled this season. Ferlin has been an excellent addition. This line can become a significant asset.

2) Lucic-Spooner-Pasternak. Major injection of youth, speed & skill. Looch forced to keep up, thus moving his legs, thus effective. Also: with two creative greenies to lead & protect, Milan can't depend on the dependable excellence of DK, JI, or NH. He's growing into an entirely new leadership role. I believe it will suit him.

Pasta's work thus far - with the puck or without, along the boards, back checking & forechecking, lifting sticks, board battles, passing, scoring, even hitting, for heaven's sake - what's not to love? You notice this guy every time he's out there.

Spooner looks great, too. Speedy & skilled. With *top minutes, first/second line talent & an extended audition* , he may finally play himself onto this team. How well he might do if given a genuine chance? If the Bruins don't sign Soderberg, and Spooner continues to impress, third line C might be in the cards. For now, I'm enjoying this line immensely.

Realize it's only a few games, & decisions to be made come Monday & going forward, but this is good stuff, ladies & germs. :handclap::yo:

Agree with # 2, but I think you're over the top on #1.

While Ferlin has brought and energy and enthusiasm that hasn't been there.....Caron still is a waste of a roster spot. I'd take Soup out there with his occasional fisticuffs to get the team going (even if he loses most every bout) and his penalty killing ability over Caron any day of the week and twice on Sunday. That's how awful #38 is.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Its all very positive here after big wins against the Devils (in OT) and the Skating Dead from Arizona.

This time next week we should have a little better idea of how this team stands with all the added assets.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

2) Lucic-Spooner-Pasternak. Major injection of youth, speed & skill. Looch forced to keep up, thus moving his legs, thus effective. Also: with two creative greenies to lead & protect, Milan can't depend on the dependable excellence of DK, JI, or NH. He's growing into an entirely new leadership role. I believe it will suit him.

Pasta's work thus far - with the puck or without, along the boards, back checking & forechecking, lifting sticks, board battles, passing, scoring, even hitting, for heaven's sake - what's not to love? You notice this guy every time he's out there.

Spooner looks great, too. Speedy & skilled. With *top minutes, first/second line talent & an extended audition* , he may finally play himself onto this team. How well he might do if given a genuine chance? If the Bruins don't sign Soderberg, and Spooner continues to impress, third line C might be in the cards. For now, I'm enjoying this line immensely.

Realize it's only a few games, & decisions to be made come Monday & going forward, but this is good stuff, ladies & germs. :handclap::yo:

Fantastic post...Love the new look bruins. :nod: Krejci comes back will be interesting to see where he fits. Krecji in my opinion is the trade deadline asset we inherited.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I really like the youth movement not only Pasta, Spooner and Ferlin, but Cunningham has played well and I would want him on the 4th line over Campbell or Caron, also Koko and Morrow are going to be good additions. I am ok with the B's adding someone guys from the list of Cole, Stewart, Glencross and Petry, but I would not deal our top pick or any of our top prospects unless we are getting a great player back like Simmonds/JVR/Eberle/Hall etc.

Would also like to deal Campbell, Paille and Kelly for picks/prospects.

One deal that was rumoured I would love is Eriksson to the Flames for Glencross, their 2015 1st round pick and another player. I would try to extend the deal to include Svedberg and something else to also get Ramo and maybe Hudler or Raymond. Imagine pulling that deal off and the Flames don't make the playoffs and the Bruins get a lottery pick, one lucky ping pong ball goes our way and someone like McDavid or Eichel falls into our hands.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think with Pasta had he not gotten hurt in camp, would have been given every opportunity to make the team. Then they sent him down and have allowed him to get acclimated to the NA game

I`m an admitted backer of patience and allowing prospects to develop their game slowly rather than push anyone into a situation they "may" not be ready for yet

I`ve also admittedly been less impressed with Spoons as many here were in his previous call ups, never questioned what he can do from the red line into the O zone, but if I saw on TV what I saw, which were far too many scenarios where he hesitated to identify exactly where he needed to be defensively, I suspect the coaching staff did as well

I have only seen the Hawks and Yotes game in this callup, and in both games, in spite of that major give away against the Hawks, I also saw him make those defensive decisions much quicker which has allowed him to join the battle and THAT , IMO, is what CJ demands and I have little issue with it. It appears Spoons has really worked hard on that aspect in this small sample size and that`s great

I'm still very leery of Spooner in the defensive end. All the Bruins centers seem to get down below the goal line and battle for pucks there. B's seem to get in the most trouble down low when both defensemen end up behind the goal line. Spooner seems too slight (and too unwilling) to muck deep in the D zone.

That said, it is exciting once the puck is on his stick, especially if he's on the move. And God knows we can use some occasional excitement from this team.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Adding my kudos to Gordy's post. My only hope is that management is patient with this group and doesn't panic and make unwise decisions based upon the standings.

I hope, too, that Claude doesn't revert back to the old lineup once Campbell returns.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I really like the youth movement not only Pasta, Spooner and Ferlin, but Cunningham has played well and I would want him on the 4th line over Campbell or Caron, also Koko and Morrow are going to be good additions. I am ok with the B's adding someone guys from the list of Cole, Stewart, Glencross and Petry, but I would not deal our top pick or any of our top prospects unless we are getting a great player back like Simmonds/JVR/Eberle/Hall etc.

Would also like to deal Campbell, Paille and Kelly for picks/prospects.

One deal that was rumoured I would love is Eriksson to the Flames for Glencross, their 2015 1st round pick and another player. I would try to extend the deal to include Svedberg and something else to also get Ramo and maybe Hudler or Raymond. Imagine pulling that deal off and the Flames don't make the playoffs and the Bruins get a lottery pick, one lucky ping pong ball goes our way and someone like McDavid or Eichel falls into our hands.

Nope, absolutely cannot imagine that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Adding my kudos to Gordy's post. My only hope is that management is patient with this group and doesn't panic and make unwise decisions based upon the standings.

I hope, too, that Claude doesn't revert back to the old lineup once Campbell returns.

I could see Kelly moving to LW and Campbell back to center with Ferlin still at RW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad