Pre-Game Talk: Two Minutes to Midnite with Minnesota on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Well if you would of told me in Oct 15th the Oilers would be 16-7 after 23 games in which:
Smith would only plays 2 games
Nurse was hurt for 2 weeks
Koskinen is 12-3
Skinner starts 6 games going 2-4 against teams like Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle
Keith and Ceci out the same time as Nurse
Our top 6 has 4 rookies for 2 weeks

I think everyone on this board would of taken that record. Once our top 6 is intact again (which isnt going to be much longer) then we will start to try and improve. The last 2 weeks have been total survival mode!

We can not under rate the injuries the last 2 weeks. Its been painful. Our forwards cant even get the puck in their hands to do much unless they get a turn over from the other team. Lets not even get into the dzone talk, because thats much the same.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's actually better they're not adding us to the makeup dates for the Legacy Of The Beast Tour, which we already saw in 2019. I'd much prefer to see them next with the actual Senjutsu tour, even if that means waiting a bit longer.

They have added an entire Senjetsu section to the show complete with new effects and some new songs. I might buy tickets to two or three of the Eastern shows. But then again I might not as that is when the next hockey season starts.

Reactions: MoreDifferentS

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Assuming you're not much of a Judas Priest fan either? Probably the band I'd compare most closely to Maiden.
I like Judas Priest, especially British Steel era. Like I say I can listen to anything around Maiden. like Motorhead, Megadeath, Metallica. Or Early Scorpions. Just that theres a myth and saga kind of thing going on in Maiden that I just never got into. Like I say I can't stand mythology. Its most of their lyrics and many times 15-18mins long. To me its music for people that could read Ben Hur. Try reading Ben Hur sometime. lol. The start of the novel as I remember is a 35 page long segment about a caravan approaching in the desert. My mind blew up. The only book I ever flung against the wall in frustration.

Not dissing with that either. Seems like a lot of bright people are attracted to Iron Maiden, but art attraction is like that, its largely subjective, and in case of music its often associative. We like or dislike some music based on what our memory of it is and what part of our life etc we associate it with, if we do.

I've met so many people that HATE Pink Floyd for instance. So that my feelings about somebody saying that, would be the same as my take on Maiden I guess. We're all different. Just that Pink Floyd is awesome! heh

I've listened to a lot of music, its rare I can't get into something. But often its patterns. People that like Maiden like Rainbow. I never liked Rainbow, which Maiden borrowed heavily from.

You can tell I love talking about music, heh, I go on and on about it.

Reactions: ujju2

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know! SUCKS!

In looking at the dates. My guess is they couldn't get the dates in early October in western Canada. Due to hockey starting. It used to be Vancouver, Edmonton and then Calgary or reverse. My guess is the band could not reserve the dates they wanted at one or more of the cities. Used to be called the Triangle tour by some groups and booking agents

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I like Judas Priest, especially British Steel era. Like I say I can listen to anything around Maiden. like Motorhead, Megadeath, Metallica. Or Early Scorpions. Just that theres a myth and saga kind of thing going on in Maiden that I just never got into. Like I say I can't stand mythology. Its most of their lyrics and many times 15-18mins long. To me its music for people that could read Ben Hur. Try reading Ben Hur sometime. lol. The start of the novel as I remember is a 35 page long segment about a caravan approaching in the desert. My mind blew up. The only book I ever flung against the wall in frustration.

Not dissing with that either. Seems like a lot of bright people are attracted to Iron Maiden, but art attraction is like that, its largely subjective, and in case of music its often associative. We like or dislike some music based on what our memory of it is and what part of our life etc we associate it with, if we do.

I've met so many people that HATE Pink Floyd for instance. So that my feelings about somebody saying that, would be the same as my take on Maiden I guess. We're all different. Just that Pink Floyd is awesome! heh

I've listened to a lot of music, its rare I can't get into something. But often its patterns. People that like Maiden like Rainbow. I never liked Rainbow, which Maiden borrowed heavily from.

Wtf who in their right mind hates Floyd?

Reactions: ujju2 and yukoner88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wtf who in their right mind hates Floyd?

Thats almost what I said. Some co-ed back in University. Almost a turnoff when she said that.

But I've met several others since, they exist. The type that listen to pop music or some tripe.

Excuse to post this..she gets it..

3:44-4:12. This boards reaction to seeing Yakupov play..

Last edited:

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

So I really like pretty much every band you mentioned, Maiden included. Haven't really gotten into Rainbow but that's less because I don't like them and more because I haven't listened to enough. And I don't think I've ever met anyone who hates Pink Floyd haha. I've also never read Ben Hur, I'll have to give it a shot.

I have to take exception to the bolded though. Not exactly metal, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on Rush. Personally Rush is and always will be my favourite band, and your description of Maiden struck me as a perfect description of early Rush. Think Cygnus X-1/Hemispheres for example, which is literally a 2-part, 30-minute long epic based in Greek mythology (blended with sci-fi). Or less for directly mythological but still epic songs, 2112, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lamneth, Xanadu, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad