Pre-Game Talk: Two Minutes to Midnite with Minnesota on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I like Judas Priest, especially British Steel era. Like I say I can listen to anything around Maiden. like Motorhead, Megadeath, Metallica. Or Early Scorpions. Just that theres a myth and saga kind of thing going on in Maiden that I just never got into. Like I say I can't stand mythology. Its most of their lyrics and many times 15-18mins long. To me its music for people that could read Ben Hur. Try reading Ben Hur sometime. lol. The start of the novel as I remember is a 35 page long segment about a caravan approaching in the desert. My mind blew up. The only book I ever flung against the wall in frustration.

Not dissing with that either. Seems like a lot of bright people are attracted to Iron Maiden, but art attraction is like that, its largely subjective, and in case of music its often associative. We like or dislike some music based on what our memory of it is and what part of our life etc we associate it with, if we do.

I've met so many people that HATE Pink Floyd for instance. So that my feelings about somebody saying that, would be the same as my take on Maiden I guess. We're all different. Just that Pink Floyd is awesome! heh

I've listened to a lot of music, its rare I can't get into something. But often its patterns. People that like Maiden like Rainbow. I never liked Rainbow, which Maiden borrowed heavily from.

You can tell I love talking about music, heh, I go on and on about it.

Kinda hard to beat the following bands that came outta England. These guys were the best at their trade and the rest just followed in line.
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Queen

I’d give my left nut to see Pink Floyd. I don’t need them anymore . If you wanna see a great Pink Floyd clone band, watch Brit Floyd. Seen them twice in Halifax . Unreal band

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
farside is the best side. This was my favorite.

ef72d81dbed12628d0cc91e84cebfca5.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kinda hard to beat the following bands that came outta England. These guys were the best at their trade and the rest just followed in line.
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Queen

I’d give my left nut to see Pink Floyd. I don’t need them anymore . If you wanna see a great Pink Floyd clone band, watch Brit Floyd. Seen them twice in Halifax . Unreal band

Seen 3 of those bands. Never got to see Led Zep. Great thing about them, sad as the circumstance was, is they pulled the plug still at their height. For a long time almost everything I listened to was British rock. Of course Sabbath and The Who in there. Always was attracted to stuff that was different. Blue Oyster Cult, was always a huge fan, they were different than most American rock. They had a punk feel with Patti Smith.

Golden Earring, a Dutch band was my favorite for years. They had a great driving take on rock, excuse pun. Most people in North America just know them from a couple albums. I have every song they recorded. Got to see Golden Earring once as well. For me a near religious experience.

Was around this tour. Example of Golden Earring driving beats. Good live band. Rolling Stones, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Johnny Winter all had these guys on tours.

This one goes way back to 1970. First listened to this when I was 10.

Listen to that track and realize that was the time Black Sabbath was dropping first album and Golden Earring had already been playing their stuff for 5yrs. So borrowed, so unmentioned. This is 12 years before Iron Maiden galloping base. Pioneers of sounds.

Eveybody should have Moontan in collection anyway.

Ted Nugent loved these guys too.

Shit, I just don't wanna talk about this game. Feel like something bad happening.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Oiler fans are going nuts in the city. We’ve gone from Jones is a top 4 Dman to Jones is a top pair and better than Nurse and Bouchard :laugh:

Maybe they don’t realize that the Oilers didn’t have Seth Jones

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Wtf who in their right mind hates Floyd?
a lot of their music is boring, Progressive music isn't for everyone.

Also I find when people say they hate x band, they usually mean they won't go out of their way to listen to them. This describes PF and Rush for me. If its on, cool, I won't put it on though, or seek it, not for me.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Minnesota is an incredibly hard working team with an incredibly skilled guy in Kaprisov. Incredibly well coached as well

This is going to be an incredibly frustrating game to watch tonight, but as always, it’s winnable with McDrai

Delete.

I see it was already said

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
All this heavy metal talk has me Jonesin' to see Spinal Tap again!

Somebody I knew for years that was in a band once told me he'd never seen Spinal Tap. I don't even know how that even happens. I mean its required viewing for anybody. The greatest parody movie of all time. Of course if you were one of the bands being mocked at the time, maybe not so much.

So many Rock and metal bands got tarred by this. So much so they'd break out in a cold sweat and Change their concert sets and skits. lol. Everybody from Led Zep to Deep Purple to Stones were mocked mercilessly. Black Sabbath didn't get the memo though...I remember 1980 and they still got small crosses all over the stage being trod on.and hokey imagery. Black Sabbath were great, but they never had good stage sets. Just bring the killer riffs.

Alice Cooper watched Spinal Tap and said f*** it I'm still doing this..

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Like Rush mostly. Have to say though Caress of Steel wasn't one I really liked. Almost everything else they did during the 70's but not that album. Farewell To Kings, probably my favorite as well as 2112 which is based a lot on Ayn Rands works. So not mythology as such. I look at Cygnus/hemispheres more as Science/ Science fiction.

Not sure why you would take exception. I just have no interest in mythology. I'm too pragmatic, don't see much point in it. Very interested in history, but not invented history if you will. When Rush went on those tropes I tuned it out.

just tried to listen to some of Caress of Steel again. It was a transitory stage for Rush I feel. I'll always think 2012 and other works were much much better. Caress of Steel was poorly received at the time. Not many people were listening to that album. people would actually not even play that album. Tended to just get put back in the sleeve or resold. maybe not right for its time. its done better since.

To this day Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are the only tracks I enjoy on that album. Its almost all miss to me.

Taking exception was the wrong phrase, not really what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

As for CoS, I think you're in the majority on that one. Personally I love the entire album. But you're right that it was very much a transitory album. The lessons from it went straight into 2112. I guess one of my more unpopular Rush opinions is that I prefer Fountain of Lamneth to Cygnus X-1 as far as epics go. 2112 is still #1.

I would argue that while yes, Cygnus X-1 Book 1 is purely sci-fi, Book 2 (Hemispheres) is almost purely mythology. It's literally about a war between Apollo and Dionysus.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Somebody I knew for years that was in a band once told me he'd never seen Spinal Tap. I don't even know how that even happens. I mean its required viewing for anybody. The greatest parody movie of all time. Of course if you were one of the bands being mocked at the time, maybe not so much.

So many Rock and metal bands got tarred by this. So much so they'd break out in a cold sweat and Change their concert sets and skits. lol. Everybody from Led Zep to Deep Purple to Stones were mocked mercilessly. Black Sabbath didn't get the memo though...I remember 1980 and they still got small crosses all over the stage being trod on.and hokey imagery. Black Sabbath were great, but they never had good stage sets. Just bring the killer riffs.

Alice Cooper watched Spinal Tap and said f*** it I'm still doing this..

Absolutely the best.

Anybody here have an Amp that goes up to 11?

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Queen

I'd add The Who and Cream to the list. And as a prog fan my list of British bands would definitely also have Genesis, Yes, and King Crimson. There's still plenty more, of course.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Has there been any indication when Smith will be back? I think we will see some better starts when he comes back at least. He gets the team ready to play better than Tippett. Maybe Smith should be the coach. :)

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'd add The Who and Cream to the list. And as a prog fan my list of British bands would definitely also have Genesis, Yes, and King Crimson. There's still plenty more, of course.
The Who and Cream are dandies as well

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
97 vs 97
McDavid vs 'The Green McDavid'
Really excited for this one. There are alot of similarities between the 2 teams

Expecting an exciting blow for blow contest, and for the PP to come back to life tonight

Also glad to see Dadbot and the twins are doing well in Minnesota. I'll always have a soft spot for Cam

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
One thing I've learned about watching this team over the last 15 years in particular is that when you expect conventional wisdom to prevail, this team will do the exact opposite.

Opposition coming in on a back to back, so easy for the Oilers right? Get out worked.

Young goalie in net - the guys will be defensively responsible to help out! Tire fire.

Looks like a soft spot in the schedule, should be able to get some points here! Lose them all.

This schedule stretch is tough, I'm worried this will ruin the season. They win them all.

Been playing like shit lately and now up against a good team, we're gonna get smoked! We win handily.

Effort level was awful last game and they are getting roasted for it publicly, you know they're gonna come out strong tonight! Float around all game again.

Basically what I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if we won this game 5-0 and wouldn't be surprised if we lost this game 5-0. Seems like as soon as you get that Oiler crest on your chest nobody knows what the hell is gonna happen.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Queen

I have seen the Stones three times. The first was July 16, 1995 at Wembley. The Black Crowes opened the concert in pouring rain but it all cleared up before the Stones came on. That was quite the experience.

Queen is one of my all time favorites. Never saw Freddie but Adam Lambert is a great talent that fits the band very well.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I have seen the Stones three times. The first was July 16, 1995 at Wembley. The Black Crowes opened the concert in pouring rain but it all cleared up before the Stones came on. That was quite the experience.

Queen is one of my all time favorites. Never saw Freddie but Adam Lambert is a great talent that fits the band very well.
I seen the Stones 3 times as well. And as same as you, I seen them in pouring rain in Halifax. Alice Cooper and Kayne West opened up. I drank in the city while those 2 played.
It’s funny, I wasn’t into Queen heavy until I married my wife. She is a big Queen fan. I have the Queen live at Wembley DVD. I’ve seen it over 100 times and I still watch it. Freddie is greatest performer of all time

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Taking exception was the wrong phrase, not really what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

As for CoS, I think you're in the majority on that one. Personally I love the entire album. But you're right that it was very much a transitory album. The lessons from it went straight into 2112. I guess one of my more unpopular Rush opinions is that I prefer Fountain of Lamneth to Cygnus X-1 as far as epics go. 2112 is still #1.

I would argue that while yes, Cygnus X-1 Book 1 is purely sci-fi, Book 2 (Hemispheres) is almost purely mythology. It's literally about a war between Apollo and Dionysus.

no worries. Wouldn't you know though is I don't listen to the Hemispheres side. Unpopular opinion but not my favorite. I guess I didn't listen to side 2 much. Albums unfortunately we're kind of like that with the format, different than CD. With an album sometimes one side would get worn out and the other a few listens and never see the time of day. I really don't like mythology, heh trust me. my eyes start rolling back in my head. Could never watch or read Lord of the Rings, anything like that.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad