Proposal: Two Habs trade (CHI/NASH)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Trade 1:

To Chicago: Pacioretty

To Montreal: Beaudin, Chicago conditional 1st (Top 5 protected)

Reasoning: It has been reported that Montreal were very high on Beaudin at the draft and he would’ve been MB’s pick had the trade with L.A went through. It is also reported that Chicago have Pacioretty has one of their target right now along with Skinner and Faulk. Bowman cleared cap space two days ago for a reason and he probably think his team can be up there with the addition of a goal scorer.

Trade 2:

To Nashville: Byron

To Montreal: Conditional 2019 1st round pick. If Byron gets 20G and/or Nashville goes past round 2, it’s a 1st. If not, it turns into a 2nd and 4th round pick (2019).

Reasoning: Nashville adds a cheap and fast 20G scorer who can play up and down the lineup. Competition level is off the chart and only gets paid 1.1M. Montreal stock up on draft picks.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
In no way is Byron worth a first round pick. Nashville is in the top three for most complete offense in the NHL. They easily say no

I don’t know. Two times 20G scorer (Three times if the condition is met) who barely seen any PP and is making 1.1M, is one of the fastest player in the NHL and play a very solid 2-way game (PK1 as well) definitely worth a late first, no?

Reactions: 20six and CapSpace

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Preds don't need more 3rd liners. If it doesn't upgrade the 2nd line wing, no thanks. And the Preds will probably enter the season with around 8 million in cap space, his contract isn't a big bonus for them at all.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
I don’t know. Two times 20G scorer (Three times if the condition is met) who barely seen any PP and is making 1.1M, is one of the fastest player in the NHL and play a very solid 2-way game (PK1 as well) definitely worth a late first, no?
Sadly no. Byron has two 20 goal seasons because he plays on the most dried up offense in the NHL. He is given a chance to score in Montreal. If he was traded to an example team like Nashville in this proposal, he is going to sit on the 4th line, maybe third at best and no generate goals but solid defensiveness hockey. At best I can see a team sending a late second. But most likely a third as he has only one year left at that 1.1 M

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
No way are we giving up another 1st for someone like Byron. We already have Fiala, Smith and Tolvanen for potential 2nd line wingers so we don't need really Byron, and our prospect pool is pretty much garbage aside from Tolvanen and Fabbro.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The only way Patches returns a 1st for Montreal is at the deadline from a top 5 team...... So the pick will be 25th O.A. or higher in 2019. It will also not include a previous 1st round selected player from an earlier draft.

Montreal has to hope Patches shows up to play this fall or his trade value is going to drop even more. Montreal biggest risk is he gets injured b4 trade deadline and they recieve zero return.

Patches is not extending and going U.F.A. which limits his value.

Reactions: NoName

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Nashville's LW is Forsberg/Fiala/Tolvanen with their RW being Arvidsson/Smith/Hartman. Byron might be an upgrade to Hartman or Tolvanen but only if they have poor seasons. Tolvanen has much higher upside so I don't see them pushing him down the lineup.

What Nashville needs is an upgrade to Smith, who had a good regular season with Turris but a poor playoffs. Byron isn't an upgrade.

Reactions: Tex76

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
To everyone saying Byron gets 20 goals cause he plays top six minutes you should Google his time on ice for those two years. He played about 15min a game. Which is pretty standard middle six minutes, Byron is a solid middle six guy getting middle six minutes.

That being said remove the The condition in the Nashville trade Byron for a 2nd + 4th straight up to any team at the deadline.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
To everyone saying Byron gets 20 goals cause he plays top six minutes you should Google his time on ice for those two years. He played about 15min a game. Which is pretty standard middle six minutes, Byron is a solid middle six guy getting middle six minutes.

That being said remove the The condition in the Nashville trade Byron for a 2nd + 4th straight up to any team at the deadline.

Byron averaged 16:08 TOI per game last year, more than any forward on the Preds not named Forsberg, Johansen or Arvidsson. Some of that was PK time, but even if you only take EV + PP time, he only got around 1:00 less per game than Arvidsson/Smith/Fiala. There is zero chance he gets that kind of ice time on the Preds.

Reactions: ivanlwan and sfvega

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Maybe if Patches agreed to an extension at an awesome price would he return that... if this is for a rental, pick one of those and it’s a maybe.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Byron averaged 16:08 TOI per game last year, more than any forward on the Preds not named Forsberg, Johansen or Arvidsson. Some of that was PK time, but even if you only take EV + PP time, he only got around 1:00 less per game than Arvidsson/Smith/Fiala. There is zero chance he gets that kind of ice time on the Preds.

I was looking at his past two years where he played about 15:30 average (I thought it was 15). It even says in my original quote 2 years so why you quoted just last year seems like you trying to twist numbers. And he also played almost 2 minutes a game short handed last year so looking at your statement of 16.08 toi Byron played 1.51 short handed. Giving him 14.17 seconds of time on ice not shorthanded in which he scored over 20 goals.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In no way is Byron worth a first round pick. Nashville is in the top three for most complete offense in the NHL. They easily say no

Look up the past several years of deadline deals & you'll find several cases of lesser players traded for a 1st

Wether or not the preds should or would make that trade is another question, but based on market value, Byron is certainly worth a late 1st

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the Chicago trade is realistic but Pacioretty would need to be extended as well it's more likely lottery protected.

Byron for a conditional first is solid too as it's likely a late first. This idea that Byron only scores 20 because he's on Montreal is poppycock. He doesn't get PP time, he literally creates all of his goals for himself with his speed. A guy like him who can PK and create 20+ goals a year in your bottom/middle 6 is a major asset.

Reactions: JayF and CapSpace

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I was looking at his past two years where he played about 15:30 average (I thought it was 15). It even says in my original quote 2 years so why you quoted just last year seems like you trying to twist numbers. And he also played almost 2 minutes a game short handed last year so looking at your statement of 16.08 toi Byron played 1.51 short handed. Giving him 14.17 seconds of time on ice not shorthanded in which he scored over 20 goals.

He has actually averaged 15:36 over the past two seasons, so closer to 16 than 15. And he didn't score over 20 goals last year, he scored exactly 20. Actually, since one was short handed and you excluded that TOI, he scored 19. If anyone is trying to twist numbers, it's you.

Look at the players he would be fighting for ice time on the Preds. Fiala put up better goals/60 at even strength at 1.06 to .92 for Byron. Jarnkrok put up .90 goals/60. Of course, both destroyed him in A/60. Jarnkrok played tough minutes as well and plays all 3 forward positions. Hartman also plays both wings and had much better pts/60 last season. He's a decent player, but he doesn't upgrade the Preds at all. At best, he's more of the same and he probably lines up on the 4th line.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Look up the past several years of deadline deals & you'll find several cases of lesser players traded for a 1st

Wether or not the preds should or would make that trade is another question, but based on market value, Byron is certainly worth a late 1st
That's typically only happens with players with size, where teams are looking to bulk up for playoff runs. Byron is tiny.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Trade 1:

To Chicago: Pacioretty

To Montreal: Beaudin, Chicago conditional 1st (Top 5 protected)

Reasoning: It has been reported that Montreal were very high on Beaudin at the draft and he would’ve been MB’s pick had the trade with L.A went through. It is also reported that Chicago have Pacioretty has one of their target right now along with Skinner and Faulk. Bowman cleared cap space two days ago for a reason and he probably think his team can be up there with the addition of a goal scorer.

Trade 2:

To Nashville: Byron

To Montreal: Conditional 2019 1st round pick. If Byron gets 20G and/or Nashville goes past round 2, it’s a 1st. If not, it turns into a 2nd and 4th round pick (2019).

Reasoning: Nashville adds a cheap and fast 20G scorer who can play up and down the lineup. Competition level is off the chart and only gets paid 1.1M. Montreal stock up on draft picks.

If I'm Chicago, I don't touch that. Beaudin is pretty much their 2nd best D prospect now (Boqvist #1 obviously). Those 2 are the future of their team on the back end.

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
If I'm Chicago, I don't touch that. Beaudin is pretty much their 2nd best D prospect now (Boqvist #1 obviously). Those 2 are the future of their team on the back end.

Especially for a 30 year old rental I can't see Stan committing that much when he is probably thinking they use this year and try for a 4th cup if not the money his their to resign debrincant and schmaltz and still have their 2 top defenseman picks as their future blue line.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Byron is not getting a 1st. He is a third line winger, who generally scores at less then half a point a game, and he is 29 so a further break out is unlikely. That class of player maybe gets you a 2nd rounder from a contender at the deadline, but rhat is it.

As to Patches, unfortunately Bergevin has done everything in his power to torpedo his trade value (publicly refusong to negotiate an extension with yoyr captain?!), so I doubt they will end up getting fair return for a 30 goal 60 point player, like him and likely have to settle for a package that is less then stellar.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Here is my take on what Stan is looking to do.
Chicago has 9.3 million in cap space currently

Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook ,Crawford are still the core and un-tradeable .

They have 2 more years with this group before the new CBA 2020 and the potential for 1 more cup run.

I see Stan trying to be bold and acquire both Skinner and faulk
With a trade already in place to get Pac as well .

Shoring up a RHD and getting the scoring punch they lacked last year.

Here is who I see as being traded
Saad , murphy, rutta and Gustafson.

They would like to keep anisomov as a 3rd line center for the youth like sikura, edsel

Kruger centers Kunitz and Hayden on 4th line
With toews centering Skinner and debrincant
Schmaltz centers Pac and kaneer

D pairings

Keith and faulk
Forsling and joki...
Manning and Seabrook

By moving out saad and either rutta and or murphy they can then pick up all 3 of those guys and still have cap money in season if need be come February trade deadline to shore up any needs.
That's my take on what I think Stan would like to happen.

Saad moving gives them additional 6 million free that with the core locked into 5 more years with no movement clauses their eith cup winners but their cap money is a lot better for schmaltz and debrincant.
And having cap room to sign free agents next summer as well.

Any thoughts

Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
From Chicago's standpoint id rather wait and see how the season plays out a bit more before offering our first in order to avoid a Ottawa Duchene/Islanders Vanek situation where the pick could end up being high. With the central you never really know who ends up where

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad