Proposal: Two Habs Draft Day Trades

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
To Canadiens
#26 (BOS 1st)
#29, 30 or 31 (TB 1st)

To Rangers

The Rangers get their top end talent prospect, most likely Zadina. The Habs address their bigger needs at center or left defence at #9 while picking up two late first to rebuild with.

To Canadiens
Adam Mascherin

To Panthers
Max Pacioretty

The Panthers missed the playoffs by one point last year. They think that Pacioretty can put them over the hump and be a playoff team. The Habs get a mid first and Mascherin who has requested a trade.

The Habs end up with picks #9, 15, 26, (29-31), 35, 38, 56, 59 all from the first two rounds.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the only way the Habs can get Mascherin is if the trade happens in the next 3 days as he has to be signed by June 1st or he re-enters the draft.

elitebottomsix

Feb 19, 2016
Patches deal is probably pretty realistic but don’t see the rangers giving up all their 1sts to move to 3 from 9. Maybe 3 for 9,26,88.

Habs already have a ton of picks though so I doubt they are looking to trade down to acquire more. If anything I see them packaging some seconds to get a another first.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

David25

Nov 22, 2016
To Canadiens
#26 (BOS 1st)
#29, 30 or 31 (TB 1st)

To Rangers

The Rangers get their top end talent prospect, most likely Zadina. The Habs address their bigger needs at center or left defence at #9 while picking up two late first to rebuild with.

To Canadiens
Adam Mascherin

To Panthers
Max Pacioretty

The Panthers missed the playoffs by one point last year. They think that Pacioretty can put them over the hump and be a playoff team. The Habs get a mid first and Mascherin who has requested a trade.

The Habs end up with picks #9, 15, 26, (29-31), 35, 38, 56, 59 all from the first two rounds.
i do the second trade, but bjugstad instead of Mascherin

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
To Canadiens
#26 (BOS 1st)
#29, 30 or 31 (TB 1st)

To Rangers

To Canadiens
Adam Mascherin

To Panthers
Max Pacioretty

Id consider the second offer but i have no interest in trading a dollar for 3 quarters. We are hopefully keeping our 1st.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
2008 NHL Entry Draft Transactions

The Islanders received a high 3rd and a future 2nd from a mediocre Toronto, thus it was a good bet that it would be relatively high, to jump from 5 to 7. Going from 7 to 9, the Islanders picked up a relatively high 2nd from Nashville.

If you think about, bundle the two 2nds up and that perhaps returns a late 1st. Jumping from 5 to 3 would cost another 2nd or 2 using that framework. Bundle the remaining picks up and perhaps that's worth another late 1st. From a neutral perspective, you can rationalize the value.

Push comes to shove, I take if I’m Gorton. The Rangers can generate those type of picks by virtue of location; they will attract quality veterans that can be flipped at futures deadlines to build depth. A Top 3 pick is a once in a decade type opportunity for some franchises.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Wouldn't do #1 for NYR personally. We need to fill a lot of holes, this is a deep draft and I don't think pick 3 is going to be in a tier of it's own like some people do. I think 3-10ish is pretty much a crap shoot.

Reactions: bl02

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
The NYR trade was originally proposed by a rangers fan in several other threads just some background knowledge on it. And I don't think either team does it.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Doubt you get that much for 3rd overall and for Patches
Come on, this is one of the most realistic return for Patch, it's in the lower end of possible return. Rentals like your Kane and Nash have cost more while Patches have a year left. Plus Mascherin basically holds next to no value for the Panthers, making it a pretty easy add on and straightforward deal.

I agree with you for the 3rd OA, I would not do this as the Rangers.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
There was a thread a couple weeks back where the agreed upon return (from a couple of Rangers fans) was 9ov, 26ov, and NJD 2nd.

I'd do that then talk to VAN about flipping 9ov and NJD 2nd for the 7th if I felt it was necessary to land Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
There was a thread a couple weeks back where the agreed upon return (from a couple of Rangers fans) was 9ov, 26ov, and NJD 2nd.

I'd do that then talk to VAN about flipping 9ov and NJD 2nd for the 7th if I felt it was necessary to land Kotkaniemi.

I don't think the 48OA gives you 2 spots in the top 10. It would at least costs us 35OA . Which i wound't do because i'm pretty sure one of Hughes or Kotkaniemi will still be on board comes 9th pick.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Nope, Habs are not going to give up a #3 pick for a bunch of uncertainty with later picks. They need to take the best player they can at the 3 spot.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While the Rangers would love Zadina, they arent trading all of their 1st round draft capital for the 3rd pick. 9 + 26/~30 + 3rd/NJD 2nd is the highest id consider and even then I'm not positive.

Wasn't there a thread posted by a Rangers fan of the very same trade? :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Rangers trade is something both teams think about but might not do. That is a major move on both sides IMO. Stats show that the 3rd OA pick has a much higher probability of turning into a impact NHL player. Not sure the Habs make that move. And the Rangers trading 3-1st is also risky for them.

The Panthers trade is one I would make and I think some Panthers fans would as well. On these boards, it's the most acceptable trade for Patch we have seen. And that don't happen often in these trade proposals.

Solid proposals though IMO.

Reactions: Habsrule

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think the Rangers trade is something both teams think about but might not do.

The Panthers trade is very low return for Patch. One of the lowest returns we have seen on these boards IMO.

I disagree. 15OA in a great draft is a pretty strong asset. And while Mascherin's value is down since his refusal to sign, he is still a pretty good prospect at center.

at 15OA, you can draft another center like Veleno or Lundestrom, both being high on Habs list. With Veleno/Lundestrom, Poehling, Mascherin, your center depth is becoming pretty good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree. 15OA in a great draft is a pretty strong asset. And while Mascherin's value is down since his refusal to sign, he is still a pretty good prospect at center.

at 15OA, you can draft another center like Veleno or Lundestrom, both being high on Habs list. With Veleno/Lundestrom, Poehling, Mascherin, your center depth is becoming pretty good.

I edited it. I thought it was for Mascherin alone.

Reactions: Benstheman

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
To Canadiens
#26 (BOS 1st)
#29, 30 or 31 (TB 1st)

To Rangers

To Canadiens
Adam Mascherin

To Panthers
Max Pacioretty

As a Rangers fan i would not do this but if it were for the 2OA i would. Rangers could use a guy like Svechkinov .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad