Twenty games until the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If we trade both Phaneuf/Franson, we'll have the capspace to add a half-decent NHL dman in free agency as a stopgap. Not to mention I'd imagine we'll be getting either a young contributing NHLer and/or NHL capdump back in trades for Phaneuf/Kessel, and could make sure we get a dman in one of those deals.

Our blueline looks incredibly inexperienced/thin without those two, but by next season we'd have plenty of opportunity to add to it. As for the rest of this season? Who cares, it's evaluation time for the younger guys trying to compete for full-time jobs next season (Holzer/Granberg/Percy/etc). It's not like we're worried about trying to make the playoffs at this point.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Theoretically though, wouldn't Shanahan have the final say on any deal and, by extension, if his mandate is to draft high, would Nonis be obliged to follow his orders? In my kind it comes down to what Shanahan wants regardless of if Nonis has a conflict interest in his current role. Is this right?

Let's not kid ourselves here shanhan is the gm, nonis just his frontman. Semantics aside, shanhan is nonis's boss and he reports directly to Brendan, bottom line if shanahan were to nix things or put an order out then yes nonis has to follow or risk losing his job.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I was hoping with Richards waived (and someone claims him, probably not) we would have gotten a deal with LA for Franson along the lines of Adrian Kempe (Nylander's MODO linemate) and the return of our 2nd round pick this year from the Bernier trade. Kempe is a 1st round pick in 2014 with good size and I could see him becoming a Lars Eller type for us.

Wow, that would be great. But is that not a high price to pay for LA for a rental that really isnt that good even do he have some nice tools?

But it would be nice to get our 2nd back.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Here is my concern.

Leafs GM Nonis and doing what is best for the team are currently in a conflict of interest position. The worse the team plays the more likely Nonis will be fired for the poor results, however the poor results favour the higher draft pick which benefits the team.

No question dealing UFAs like Franson, Santorelli and Winnik would be in the teams best interest in the future as those losses for futures will most likely see the team drop.. However Nonis might actually be trying to re-sign some of these players hoping to keep them around beyond the trade deadline as that helps protect his own job better.

All we can hope is that Shanahan has already decided on his course of action. We might not see the results until the summer but if he has made up his mind about direction, which critical positions need to be filled or upgraded, drafting strong, etc. I don't think it will matter at this point what Nonis believes. Reports have made it clear that Nonis has a boss, Shanahan and decisions will go through him. I don't think a continued losing streak or winning streak will change a decision he might have already made.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
All we can hope is that Shanahan has already decided on his course of action. We might not see the results until the summer but if he has made up his mind about direction, which critical positions need to be filled or upgraded, drafting strong, etc. I don't think it will matter at this point what Nonis believes. Reports have made it clear that Nonis has a boss, Shanahan and decisions will go through him. I don't think a continued losing streak or winning streak will change a decision he might have already made.

Every gm has a boss (I use the title loosely to describe nonis role btw)' anyone who thinks a gm has much power is kidding themselves. Shanhan I feel has a plan, and I'm sure it's going to be followed out.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Wow, that would be great. But is that not a high price to pay for LA for a rental that really isnt that good even do he have some nice tools?

But it would be nice to get our 2nd back.

No doubt it's probably California Dreamin' but right now, a rebuild, clearing the deck of the last 6 Burke years is my playoffs. Hopefully the draft is our Stanley Cup.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You act like this "5-5-5" is something new, actually Carlyle preached it all along but the players either never bought into it or couldn't adapt. Actually to be honest I despise the "5-5-5" approach especially In the offensive end because if it goes wrong you have all 5 guys caught up ice and it leads to multiple odd man rushes... Essentially run and gun imo.
All 5 guys caught up ice? How so? The idea is to bring the puck up together with support, so once you're in the offensive zone you're set up.

Every teams sets up in the offensive zone with 5 men, so I don't see how it's more prone to odd man rushes.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I hope Phaneuf's injury doesn't prevent Leafs from trading Franson if the right deal is there for the taking.

It would be a shame if Leafs felt and obligation to the players in the present and not thought about the future.

Don't worry. He'll tweak something too, just before the trade deadline.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
No doubt it's probably California Dreamin' but right now, a rebuild, clearing the deck of the last 6 Burke years is my playoffs. Hopefully the draft is our Stanley Cup.

Right now we have 5 picks, but let's imagine what could be lol

Franson-1st rounder
Lupul- 2nd rounder, 4th rounder
Reimer-4th rounder
Bozak- 2nd rounder

In total we'd have

1st rounder (original)
1st rounder (franson)
2nd rounder (lupuls)
2nd rounder (bozak)

That right there is 4 picks in the top 60... Mouth drools lol

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
whats the right deal in your opinion Mess?

The right deal is where we get whatever the market is dictating his value is, and that we get something out of him, instead of letting him walk. Obviously maximize value.

I can hope for a first rounder such as Dallas's, or a late first rounder and middling prospect... decent prospect and a second rounder. Nick Ritchie from Anahiem for example... but then this could depend on how many interested parties.

At the end of the day, if the best offer is a 3rd rounder, you take it and run. I mean, a 3rd rounder is better than letting him walk for free.

The right deal is where you get the most the market will give you, and not sign him for $5.5 million for 5 years.

Durkin67

The right deal is where we get whatever the market is dictating his value is, and that we get something out of him, instead of letting him walk. Obviously maximize value.

I can hope for a first rounder such as Dallas's, or a late first rounder and middling prospect... decent prospect and a second rounder. Nick Ritchie from Anahiem for example... but then this could depend on how many interested parties.

At the end of the day, if the best offer is a 3rd rounder, you take it and run. I mean, a 3rd rounder is better than letting him walk for free.

The right deal is where you get the most the market will give you, and not sign him for $5.5 million for 5 years.

Soooo......

while other teams will be lining up to sign Franson long term to something likely north of 5 M, you are willing to accept anything as marginal as a 3rd rounder?

That suggests to me that there is a glaring disparity in valuation between you and the GM's who will be bidding for his services...

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Trade Kessel for Seth Jones++
Trade Phaneuf for ROR
Trade Franson for 1st
Trade Bozak for 1st

At the draft, trade the picks for a top3 pick. Draft Eichel since of course the 1st overall will never be traded.

Roll with Eichel, Nylander, JVR, Kadri, ROR, Rielly, Jones, Gardiner, Percy, Bernier

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Soooo......

while other teams will be lining up to sign Franson long term to something likely north of 5 M, you are willing to accept anything as marginal as a 3rd rounder?

That suggests to me that there is a glaring disparity in valuation between you and the GM's who will be bidding for his services...

What would you prefer, a 3rd rounder, or nothing?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Trade Kessel for Seth Jones++
Trade Phaneuf for ROR
Trade Franson for 1st
Trade Bozak for 1st

At the draft, trade the picks for a top3 pick. Draft Eichel since of course the 1st overall will never be traded.

Roll with Eichel, Nylander, JVR, Kadri, ROR, Rielly, Jones, Gardiner, Percy, Bernier

I dont think we can even get Jones straight up for Kessel, less so them adding.

Dion for ROR, perhaps fair value.

Franson can probably get us a late 1st.

Bozak will not get us a 1st, perhaps a 2nd?

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
I would want to get a really clear indication if Leivo, Granberg, and Percy can be NHLers over the next 20 games...
If there is to be a big sell-off and a couple years of pain, the team will still need capable bodies to remain somewhat competitive...

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Crazy talk in this thread lol.

Phaneuf for ROR? No chance. If Arizona is structuring a deal for ROR centred around Yandle, the only way ROR ends up a Maple Leaf is if this year's 1st rounder or Rielly are involved.

Lupul for 2nd / 4th? He's on the wrong side of 30, can't stay healthy, and has a deal with term on it. Not happening.

Franson for a 1st? Possible. More likely that you'll see a 2nd and a mid level prospect, unless the Leafs can create one hell of a bidding war.

Bozak for a 1st? Lol! This one made me chuckle. Particularly as it's the same people who dump on Bozak daily for all his inefficiencies, now suggesting he can net you a 1st lol?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Anything can happen at TD.

At the TD GM's overbid depending on their situation.Some teams are clearly win now (i.e NYR) so their viewpoint is different. Bozak could get a late first easily at TD,Franson as well in a bidding war. A lot depends on what the other GM sees being there late in the first. Some teams may see Bozak as a number 2 C but see no for sure number 2 C's in the(where they pick) draft. Don't underestimate GMs ability to go mad. Different markets have different pressures and the GM may see this year as their best chance to win.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I dont think we can even get Jones straight up for Kessel, less so them adding.

Dion for ROR, perhaps fair value.

Franson can probably get us a late 1st.

Bozak will not get us a 1st, perhaps a 2nd?
lol Bozak would easily get a 1st round pick. Jordan Staal fetched an 8th overall pick, Brandon Sutter and Brian Dumoulin. Paul Gaustad fetched a 1st round pick.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
lol Bozak would easily get a 1st round pick. Jordan Staal fetched an 8th overall pick, Brandon Sutter and Brian Dumoulin. Paul Gaustad fetched a 1st round pick.

Staal is also a much better player and younger. And the Gaustad trade shouldn't even be used as an example, that was an atrocious trade and we all know that. A first for Bozak is unreasonable, he doesn't do anything well enough to warrant that kind of return.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

At the TD GM's overbid depending on their situation.Some teams are clearly win now (i.e NYR) so their viewpoint is different. Bozak could get a late first easily at TD,Franson as well in a bidding war. A lot depends on what the other GM sees being there late in the first. Some teams may see Bozak as a number 2 C but see no for sure number 2 C's in the(where they pick) draft. Don't underestimate GMs ability to go mad. Different markets have different pressures and the GM may see this year as their best chance to win.

Stop the insanity :laugh:

Seriously - Bozak is not getting you a 1st rounder lol.

In one of the deepest drafts we've had lately, teams aren't going to give up their 1st round pick for a 3C+ / 2C- player.

It's not happening.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Every gm has a boss (I use the title loosely to describe nonis role btw)' anyone who thinks a gm has much power is kidding themselves. Shanhan I feel has a plan, and I'm sure it's going to be followed out.

The obvious difference between GMs in other cities have the ability to make their own decisions, and go to their bosses for a simple signing off / approval process.

That's not the case here - Nonis is nothing more than Shanahan's lame duck puppet until he's not needed anymore. He needs his experience for now, and presumably wants his league contacts and his expertise on board right now, but once Shanahan has the time to run his own search he's going to be replaced.

The Shanahan - Nonis arrangement is very different to the other BOSS-GM relationships around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad