GDT: 'Twas the day after July 1st... Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I just don't get it. What makes Dallas, Florida, Buffalo (!), and even the NY Islanders a more attractive landing spot? OK, I'll give you the weather/beach in Miami. But we have one of the best goalies in the league and his world championship performance should tell you he's healthy. We have one of the top defensive groups in the league. We brought in a new coach that has won a Stanley Cup with one team and took another one to game 6 of the Cup Finals and employs a more offensive system. We just traded for a pure goal scorer, we have the complimentary scoring, we have offensive ability from our defense. We have plenty of money to offer. Why don't FA see that we need them to help lead us and they can be the lead/first line guy? Or is it that none of them want to be that guy?

I know that we can't just make FAs sign here, and signing someone just for the sake of signing someone is not the answer. But it's disappointing to hear that we aren't even in the players final choices. And it seems that lately we've been on more player's no-trade list. It just sucks watching our team getting passed over for division rivals.

I guess we just need to hurry up and start churning out homegrown players so that 15-20 years from now we can get the players that want to "go home" to play.

Hope Poile can pull off a Gilmore Tuttle type player.
He's too old. Ogilthorpe is younger and since Canada refused to take him he can't "go home" to play.
...how did this go by? :laugh:

ugh, I misread, MIN has a lot more capspace than I thought their number wasn't including Vanek… it is. They have 13M in cap space...
How is that possible? With Suter and Parise and now Vanek, too? That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying the city of nashville is boring. I am saying that the rest of Tennessee is boring. The players we are trying to bring here are 24-30 years old. I don't see most of them wanting to spend their years here. Especially not for a team that hasn't gotten past the second round of the playoffs before. I grew up here I know the greatness of our state. They are having to come in to a place that isn't sold as a top 15 city. Once you get here you find out that it's great, but the stereotypes of the south supercede that.
Um, hello why do you think we're called "IT CITY"?

Unless of course every player is listening to, and whole-heartedly believing the trash that is .... (I don't want to even type his name).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I really think we end the day with Vinny as our center. With us still having two CB's left, I think it's a great move (depending on what we give up). After Stastny (who I think is being overrated on here), he's been my #2 choice. If we can get Vinny for a mid rounder, I'm all over that.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I really think we end the day with Vinny as our center. With us still having two CB's left, I think it's a great move (depending on what we give up). After Stastny (who I think is being overrated on here), he's been my #2 choice. If we can get Vinny for a mid rounder, I'm all over that.

Im pretty sure we couldn't use a compliance buyout on VLC because he signed last summer, plus I think this is the last summer that compliance buyouts can be used anyway. The compliance buyouts were designed to let GMs get off the hook for a couple of bad pre-lockout contracts, but post lockout its caveat emptor

that said, with the amount of cap room we have, and with our major star players already locked in long term I just don't see how taking on 4.5 for 4 years is a really big issue

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Im pretty sure we couldn't use a compliance buyout on VLC because he signed last summer, plus I think this is the last summer that compliance buyouts can be used anyway. The compliance buyouts were designed to let GMs get off the hook for a couple of bad pre-lockout contracts, but post lockout its caveat emptor

that said, with the amount of cap room we have, and with our major star players already locked in long term I just don't see how taking on 4.5 for 4 years is a really big issue

Good call...scratch the CB stuff. I'd still be happy with Vinny as our center.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yes. I was just thinking down the road if he starts losing some steps in the final year of his contract.

I thought this was the last year of the compliance buyouts and that regular buyouts would be the way to go moving forward. That we could do.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I just don't get it. What makes Dallas, Florida, Buffalo (!), and even the NY Islanders a more attractive landing spot? OK, I'll give you the weather/beach in Miami. But we have one of the best goalies in the league and his world championship performance should tell you he's healthy. We have one of the top defensive groups in the league. We brought in a new coach that has won a Stanley Cup with one team and took another one to game 6 of the Cup Finals and employs a more offensive system. We just traded for a pure goal scorer, we have the complimentary scoring, we have offensive ability from our defense. We have plenty of money to offer. Why don't FA see that we need them to help lead us and they can be the lead/first line guy? Or is it that none of them want to be that guy?

I know that we can't just make FAs sign here, and signing someone just for the sake of signing someone is not the answer. But it's disappointing to hear that we aren't even in the players final choices. And it seems that lately we've been on more player's no-trade list. It just sucks watching our team getting passed over for division rivals.

I guess we just need to hurry up and start churning out homegrown players so that 15-20 years from now we can get the players that want to "go home" to play.

He's too old. Ogilthorpe is younger and since Canada refused to take him he can't "go home" to play.
...how did this go by? :laugh:

How is that possible? With Suter and Parise and now Vanek, too? That's ridiculous.

Um, hello why do you think we're called "IT CITY"?

Unless of course every player is listening to, and whole-heartedly believing the trash that is .... (I don't want to even type his name).

Dallas made the playoffs, had a very exciting series with Anaheim and has a longer hockey tradition than us (N Stars). Buffalo also has a longer hockey tradition and they are building through draft choices - have been much worse than us. I didn't see any great signings by the Isles and frankly, if you looked closely at who Florida signed and for how much, you would thank God we have Poile instead of Dale Tallon: way overpaid for injured Bolland, an old enforcer (Thornton, Winnipeg's back-up goalies, Jussi Jokinen, ex Thrasher McKenzie and ancient Willie Mitchell. Cost 17 million - zero quality starters, zero youth. You want what Florida did?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I thought this was the last year of the compliance buyouts and that regular buyouts would be the way to go moving forward. That we could do.

Yeah, that's what Doc reminded me. Regardless, I'd be very happy having a top line of Neal-Vinny-Smith

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, that's what Doc reminded me. Regardless, I'd be very happy having a top line of Neal-Vinny-Smith

:shakehead

That's what I get for not reading through the entire thread before I posted. Alot was said after I went to bed last night.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

the sample size is still small enough that individual , personal factors play a role and it truly cannot be inferred that players somehow dont like the city of Nashville... and in fact there is a lot of evidence that players feel just the opposite about the city.. isnt Dumont still living here? and Arnott too I think? Grimson obviously liked it here even though he only played half a season with us...

Florida is obviously attractive because, well its Florida

Buffalo is overspending to get to the cap floor and Moulson had already played there. I seriously doubt players (and their wives) are looking at Bufflao as a "destination city"

and Dallas always seems like a team who is just about ready to get really good, which probably looks like a good opportunity for players, and yet, they seem to continually hover around 8-10 no matter who they have.

Fact is we need to get VLC or somebody to center Neal, have Lavy's system drive players numbers up, and get back to being a perennial playoff team, and then the UFAs will want to come here

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I like the Moulson deal. It is still a bit overpriced but not by much. It readds hornqvist 20-30 goal play. Alas .... I think Poile wanted that one.

If I'm Poile, I go after a Staal or both of them, Evander Kane, Patrick Sharp, Krecj, Loui ericcson, marleau, Thornton, etc. Some would require a huge price. Others less.

Still - you suck it up and improve. You use your cap space to get back some of the talent you lost in the Ufa pool and you celebrate.

I think you can make a trade without sacrificing Josi, jones, weber, or Rinne. It may cost smith or Wilson or forsberg or a 1st or a combo of those ...

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I like the VL idea.

He's still got gas in the tank, fits in Laviolette's system, can teach the young centers a thing or two. Yeah, we might only get 2 good years, but if 4.5 on the books is the only bad contract we have for 2 years after - we'll be fine (it doesn't appear that we'll be a cap team anyway), consider it the cost of doing business.

There will be teams regretting spending 4/5/6 million on guys signed today probably more than we'll regret VL for 4 years.

And, he shouldn't cost a lot - probably a middling pick.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
the sample size is still small enough that individual , personal factors play a role and it truly cannot be inferred that players somehow dont like the city of Nashville... and in fact there is a lot of evidence that players feel just the opposite about the city.. isnt Dumont still living here? and Arnott too I think? Grimson obviously liked it here even though he only played half a season with us...

Florida is obviously attractive because, well its Florida

Buffalo is overspending to get to the cap floor and Moulson had already played there. I seriously doubt players (and their wives) are looking at Bufflao as a "destination city"

and Dallas always seems like a team who is just about ready to get really good, which probably looks like a good opportunity for players, and yet, they seem to continually hover around 8-10 no matter who they have.

Fact is we need to get VLC or somebody to center Neal, have Lavy's system drive players numbers up, and get back to being a perennial playoff team, and then the UFAs will want to come here

I doubt Dallas is 8-10 this year, Jim Nill has transformed that team in just two off seasons via trading for Seguin and Spezza.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I like the Moulson deal. It is still a bit overpriced but not by much. It readds hornqvist 20-30 goal play. Alas .... I think Poile wanted that one.

If I'm Poile, I go after a Staal or both of them, Evander Kane, Patrick Sharp, Krecj, Loui ericcson, marleau, Thornton, etc. Some would require a huge price. Others less.

Still - you suck it up and improve. You use your cap space to get back some of the talent you lost in the Ufa pool and you celebrate.

I think you can make a trade without sacrificing Josi, jones, weber, or Rinne. It may cost smith or Wilson or forsberg or a 1st or a combo of those ...

There really little value in going after Vinny. Recall there was a reason the Bolts bought him out. Its the term now that prevents much interest in him. 5 years ago he was still a viable 1C today far less. There is nothing that indicates he is much of an improvement over Fish or Cullen for that matter. We are only a few months removed from kicking Legwand to the curb who was in the same draft class. It would be a huge mistake to take on that 4 year contract. The reward of a year or two of less than the player we need would bring much gnashing of teeth about what a bad deal it was to bring him in. And while it is not acceptable that Poile does nothing to address the need of a center I would be surprised if he relents and take on the term of Vinny.

Now what would not suprise me would be him bringing in Grabs, this would help Poile save face but I doubt he is the answer again there is a reason the Leafs got rid of him and why he is on the market again and not picked up the first day of F/A. I think he would be much the same as SK perhaps a decent year followed by a disaster.

It would also be a bad idea to even consider Ribeiro but Poile has had a knack of taking a chance on problem children. See SK, AK, and RadulovII,

Standing pat is not an option either and with the F/A well pretty empty the lone avenue left is pick up a guy through a trade. This is likely going to create a hole in the defense as well as losing one of Jarnkrok or Forseberg and next years first. This would only return a 2C that has potential to become a 1C in all probability.

Poile is now facing a firing squad he will do something but what we just do not know.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
There really little value in going after Vinny. Recall there was a reason the Bolts bought him out. Its the term now that prevents much interest in him. 5 years ago he was still a viable 1C today far less. There is nothing that indicates he is much of an improvement over Fish or Cullen for that matter. We are only a few months removed from kicking Legwand to the curb who was in the same draft class. It would be a huge mistake to take on that 4 year contract. The reward of a year or two of less than the player we need would bring much gnashing of teeth about what a bad deal it was to bring him in. And while it is not acceptable that Poile does nothing to address the need of a center I would be surprised if he relents and take on the term of Vinny.

The bolts bought him out because he was due an insane bonus - not because he couldn't play anymore.

Vinny is alot better than Cullen, and a little better than Fisher. He'd be a #1C here. He brings intangibles, and a fit in Laviolette's system.

His 4 year average is 22-24-46.
Cullen's is 12-24-36
Fisher's is 18-26-44.

And I don't know why anyone would gnash their teeth over the money. You're ticket prices aren't going down if we don't sign Vinny. It's not our money, and it if anyone thinks we're going to be a cap spending team - not going to happen. Plenty of bad money comes off the books before VLC's contract starts to look bad (Cullen is done next year, Gaustad/Stalberg will all be off the books).

Even if he has his average year - down the middle of VLC, Jarnkrok, Fisher, Gaustad looks alot better than what we have today.

Heck, even if you have to have a 4 mil guy on the bottom line - so be it. One of the reasons we've had trouble signing guys is that we're still perceived as a budget or cheap franchise. No one gets a Cup for being frugal, No one wants to play for a team that would rather win the budget trophy rather than the Stanley Cup.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I doubt Dallas is 8-10 this year, Jim Nill has transformed that team in just two off seasons via trading for Seguin and Spezza.

Meh, if Spezza's wonky back acts up (which it probably will at some point), Dallas is back to square one. Plus, he'll likely test free agency in a year.

Dallas didn't address their defense and Let-em-in is still thier goaltender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad