96f1e03ea91cd025e32f3af93a6c00d8_zps106862c0.jpg

Current Subtractions for 2014-2015

barrytrotznsh-304_zps423b2793.jpg
NSH_Lambert_Lane_zps2863ddec.jpg
korn_zps2a458108.jpg
MichaelDelZotto5_zpsd2abc072.jpg
NickSpaling13_zpseac24c63.jpg
PatricHornquist27_zpsdfbe3a96.jpg

Great article on Predslines.com with updated info from GMDP on the free agency outlook.

A couple quotes from the article

Predators General Manager David Poile attempted to add a first line center to his roster during the NHL Draft festivities, but Ottawa Senators Jason Spezza blocked a deal that would have sent him to Nashville. The inability to acquire the top center disappointed Poile, but it also renewed his drive to add one through free agency.

“In this case it was made public that [Jason Spezza] was available and obviously he’s a top-six forward, and I wouldn’t be doing the right thing for our franchise if I didn’t investigate. We had some preliminary discussions with Ottawa–knowing he had a limited no-trade contract–and once it was determined it was his wish not to play in Nashville, discussions ended. We’ve moved on,” Poile said. “My vision is that at some point we’ll get a top center. We’re trying to get a top-six and specifically a top-three guy.”

Now the Predators turn to free agency where a few (but solid) options will be available.

“I think the window for the type of player we’re looking for is in the first few days in July. Every now and then a guy slips through until closer to the fall, but I don’t think that would happen for who we want,” Poile said a couple weeks ago. “For the most part, the first two or three days are all there is for the type of names you would say we’re going after, period.”

With so many teams looking for skilled forwards themselves, the Predators will make an aggressive and early push for a center. They’ll likely know in 48 hours or less after free agency opens at 11 a.m. (CDT) if they’ll be able to sign the forward they want.

I am looking forward to 12 pm ET tomorrow with some excitement and anticipation, but Iam not putting too many eggs in any one basket. I think the moves we have made already this offseason have improved the team, but would love to add a couple more pieces to give us that extra boost.​

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva
Paul Stastny and the Avalanche were not able to get a deal done. He'll hit the market tomorrow. #tvasports

Get 'er done Poile

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
What Poile considers a top 3 and what is really a top 3 player could be a little out of line.

He said in an interview that Hornqvist was not a top 3 guy and that James Neal is. I think he has a pretty good grasp of what constitutes a true top 3 guy.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Agreed. He may not have made all of the right moves over the years, but I'm pretty sure he has been involved in the game long enough to know what a top 3 guy is.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'd rather hold off on getting any more wingers until we either solve the center issue or run out of ways to solve it. Niskanen could very well be seeking $5m per year for 7 years, which is quite a bit to take on when we are more in need of a stop gap on the back end to give Jones and Ekholm time to develop.

ItsKangarooJack

Sep 29, 2013
1st Choice: Sign Stasny for top dollar long-term, sign a mid level winger and a third pairing defenseman

2nd Choice: Sign Moulson, B. Richards and a third pairing defenseman

Absolute Last Resort: Acquire Vinny L

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I predict we sign:

1 center: Richards (backups are Grabo and Roy. Dream is Stastny)
1 winger: Raymond (I want to say Moulson but I don't see it. Backup is Stempniak)
1 dman: Volchenkov (Backups are Pitkanen and Gleason)

Possibly another winger as well. I could easily see two guys among Raymond, Stempniak, Moulson, Jokinen, and maybe Heatley. The dream here is Vanek but no chance.

Neal-(Richards)-xxx
Smith-Jarnkrok-Wilson
Cullen-Fisher-xxx
xxx-Gaustad-xxx

xxx's are Beck, Stalberg, Forsberg, Bouque, Clune, and UFAs

Weber-Josi
Jones-Ekholm/xxx
Ellis-xxx/Ekholm

xxx=UFA/Alm/Bartley

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Richards make too much sense to not happen. We've been connected to him before, he probably wants a smaller market after NY, we need a center, and he has been a linemate of Neal's before.

I just hope we can get him cheap and use the rest of that money to find him another linemate. I'm looking at you Moulson/Vanek/Vrbata.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'm getting the feeling some on here are going to be very disappointed. I'm not expecting anything but another bargain bin offseason. And thanks to Sean Avery with all those nice things he said about Nashville free agents are just lining up to sign here.

VandyBuck

Oct 4, 2010
twitter.com/aportzline...

retweeted someone w/ a source at flyers saying trade for Vinny Lecavelier fell through today

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I'm getting the feeling some on here are going to be very disappointed. I'm not expecting anything but another bargain bin offseason. And thanks to Sean Avery with all those nice things he said about Nashville free agents are just lining up to sign here.

I would hope most NHLers base their UFA decisions on more than what Sean Avery tweets.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Moulson and Neal are pretty similar (Neal obviously better). I think it would be redundant to go after him. We need someone who isn't afraid to be active in the play, likes to hold on to the puck, and can distribute it accordingly.

I think the shopping list is:
1. #1 center with playmaking ability (likely leave disappointed here)
2. 2nd/3rd pairing strong skating dman
3. Top 6 winger
4. A utility guy with some scoring upside (maybe a camp invite, essentially another Spaling)

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We really are going to need a 2nd pairing d man to play with Jones. Left handed. Gleason, Pitkanen, volchenkov, and Ehrhoff.

We need a center, I think Richards is our best bet here followed by Roy. If we can't get a center, we roll with what we got down the middle or we Trade Wilson + for a center and sign one of the mid level wingers (Stempnaik, Jokinen, Raymond etc).

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I'd rather hold off on getting any more wingers until we either solve the center issue or run out of ways to solve it. Niskanen could very well be seeking $5m per year for 7 years, which is quite a bit to take on when we are more in need of a stop gap on the back end to give Jones and Ekholm time to develop.

True, just wondered about the chemistry between Niskanen and Neal in terms of passing/playmaking potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad