Confirmed with Link: TVR signs 2 year extension ($825K AAV)

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Strange he would sign this summer. i guess he is betting against himself. He has one year in the NHL and a ring. He plays solid this year again, he is a 2M d-man who plays regular minutes in Chicago's top 5.

I mean this is like half off a guy. Regualr D men in the NHL, young, 1.5 and up would be normal. I think if he waits a year, and he plays normal like he already was, he could have gotten more.

I am glad he didn't. That cap hit for a #5 d-man in the NHL is a steal. Next summer we will be like wow TVR is good AND cheap this coming year.

Nice job Stan. Now trade Sharp please :)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Strange he would sign this summer. i guess he is betting against himself. He has one year in the NHL and a ring. He plays solid this year again, he is a 2M d-man who plays regular minutes in Chicago's top 5.

I mean this is like half off a guy. Regualr D men in the NHL, young, 1.5 and up would be normal. I think if he waits a year, and he plays normal like he already was, he could have gotten more.

I am glad he didn't. That cap hit for a #5 d-man in the NHL is a steal. Next summer we will be like wow TVR is good AND cheap this coming year.

I don't think he's betting against himself. I think he's putting himself in a position where he's not going to be kept down because of his contract and will be evaluated based on his play. I forget who it was, I want to say Bickell maybe, took a 3 year deal at like 575K per to ensure he would have a chance to be up after he was struggling to break the lineup with a higher ELC.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

One of the reasons why he'd take a deal like this is that it makes it quite attractive for the Hawks to give him plenty of ice time, as they will reap the benefits next year if he has a good year, as he's signed for another year cheaply.

Bickell signed a 3-year contract at about $550,000 and ending up being a bargain when he parlayed that cheap contract into better playing time. You might surmise that the cheap contract allowed him to become a regular player, which he than parlayed into a 4-year $16M contract.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I don't think he's betting against himself. I think he's putting himself in a position where he's not going to be kept down because of his contract and will be evaluated based on his play. I forget who it was, I want to say Bickell maybe, took a 3 year deal at like 575K per to ensure he would have a chance to be up after he was struggling to break the lineup with a higher ELC.

Good point on Bicks, but TVR already was, so that can't be it. He had cleared the Q trust hurdle, unlike Morin/Pirri/.....

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The exact reason he did not get more...injuries...TVR has to prove he can go full seasons without getting injured...hurt most of this past season..and got hurt most of his Sr. YR. in college..So that is 2 years in a row not playing a lot.Glass body? Gotta stay healthy to improve and prove worthy of a bigger bucks contract after this
new contract is over.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
One of the reasons why he'd take a deal like this is that it makes it quite attractive for the Hawks to give him plenty of ice time, as they will reap the benefits next year if he has a good year, as he's signed for another year cheaply.

Bickell signed a 3-year contract at about $550,000 and ending up being a bargain when he parlayed that cheap contract into better playing time. You might surmise that the cheap contract allowed him to become a regular player, which he than parlayed into a 4-year $16M contract.

Q does NOT look at contract when he makes a line change or throws a D pair out there. LOL

See Vermette etc. He does not give a crap what you make. If you are not good you don't play. TVR as a rookie was good, so he played.

I don't think you earn more TOI when you have a better cap hit. That does't make sense to me. Sign me for $1. I can take draws for you. :)

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
The exact reason he did not get more...injuries...TVR has to prove he can go full seasons without getting injured...hurt most of this past season..and got hurt most of his Sr. YR. in college..So that is 2 years in a row not playing a lot.Glass body? Gotta stay healthy to improve and prove worthy of a bigger bucks contract after this
new contract is over.
Yeah and that is why he signs now. Why play the year and get hurt and maybe never be in the mix again, since like you say that is 3 years in a row. So now you get paid a little and if you make it 3 years you are looking real good to get a BIG raise. 3 years at .825 or under, and then boom. He will be in the 2.1 range for a #5 d-man, maybe a top 4 in 3 years who know.

But I agree, he takes less now since inj risk is real. He is betting against himself. If he gets hurt AGAIN, he did the right thing signing now for less. If he is a stud this year, climbs to 15min a game, wow .825 is a steal, bigger than it already is.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Q does NOT look at contract when he makes a line change or throws a D pair out there. LOL

See Vermette etc. He does not give a crap what you make. If you are not good you don't play. TVR as a rookie was good, so he played.

I don't think you earn more TOI when you have a better cap hit. That does't make sense to me. Sign me for $1. I can take draws for you. :)

Right, but you can fit under the cap making 575k instead of 900k.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

It's not about playing time, it's about being in Chicago or in Rockford. With a team like the Hawks who are always up against it, every dollar counts. Darling took a similar deal which all but sealed Ranta's fate. Teuvo was down for most of the year and was only able to stay up because they traded Smith for Desijardins. If you are a fringe roster guy, it's better to have the cheaper contract.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
It's not about playing time, it's about being in Chicago or in Rockford. With a team like the Hawks who are always up against it, every dollar counts. Darling took a similar deal which all but sealed Ranta's fate. Teuvo was down for most of the year and was only able to stay up because they traded Smith for Desijardins. If you are a fringe roster guy, it's better to have the cheaper contract.

Good point as well, is the contract 1 way?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So after this season, TVR will be making $100,000 less per year for the next two years?

I knew this kid was all sorts of awesome. Thanks TVR!

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
So after this season, TVR will be making $100,000 less per year for the next two years?

I knew this kid was all sorts of awesome. Thanks TVR!

But that is one way, when you are on a two way which he is now(ELC) when you get sent down you only get paid ~60k

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
But that is one way, when you are on a two way which he is now(ELC) when you get sent down you only get paid ~60k

I know he's currently on a two-way contract, but I don't envision him being sent to Rockford this year (provided he doesn't suffer from any more injuries). So him currently having a two-way deal doesn't matter that much to me, nor will having a one-way deal next year have much of an affect.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
TVR = Trent Yawney

Good 5-6-7 dman ... nothing more ... good signing ... inexpensive ... hopefully stays healthy ... low risk

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nothing to complain about here

Worst case TVR is a affordable #6/7 ,, Best case he establishes himself as solid #5

Its laughable of course that Rundblad got more then TVR given TVR can actually play hockey and isn't a complete disaster in his own end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad