Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Rask is a heck of a goalie - he can play for me any day

Bennington is a JAG

He’s not in the same zip code as Rask but then again hockey is my third sport
I mean, he went head to head against Rask in the clutch in his first attempt and embarrassed him. Obviously you can't know how his career will unfold from here, but he's already displayed more mental toughness than Rask ever has.

Reactions: BBruins

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I mean, he went head to head against Rask in the clutch in his first attempt and embarrassed him. Obviously you can't know how his career will unfold from here, but he's already displayed more mental toughness than Rask ever has.
Really? You pull out this drivel, but claim you don't have an agenda against Rask? Please.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Really? You pull out this drivel, but claim you don't have an agenda against Rask? Please.
Him stepping up in the 1st period specifically is the stuff of legends to be completely honest. He had his back against the wall 3 times during that run and was lights out every time.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
You can only control what you can as a goalie. Winning or losing is not what you should use as the barometer, it's how much they contributed to a win or a loss. If a goalie lets in 1 goal on 70 shots and loses you're not going to blame him.

Having played the position myself for over 30 years I agree.

Having said that I still believe you apply a different set of standards between the two.
Thats your right. I just dont buy into it.

This past playoffs without Rask’s performance they wouldnt have gotten a sniff. Nothing.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Having played the position myself for over 30 years I agree.

Having said that I still believe you apply a different set of standards between the two.
Thats your right. I just dont buy into it.

This past playoffs without Rask’s performance they wouldnt have gotten a sniff. Nothing.
I'm not saying they would have. Rask was incredible the first 3 rounds. But as always, it rears its ugly head at some point.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The post Rask goalie carousel is going to be pure comedy gold. In the ten years following his eventual departure will the plus or minus be set at 4 or 5 different #1 goalies for the Bruins?

Before Rask, who was Bostons #1 franchise goaltender for any extended time(4+ years)?

Andy Moog from 88 to 93.

He was run out of town also for his postseason "collapse" in the 93 playoffs. Boston got swept in the 1st round by the Sabres, losing 3 of the 4 games in OT. With the game 4 OT goal coming by Brad May(MAY DAY! MAY DAY!)

Combine that and the NHLPA rumors with Sinden and the franchise spends the next ~15 years going through a goaltending carousel never finding a #1 until they sign and overage local guy playing in Europe(Tim Thomas) and trade their Rookie Goalie sensation(Andrew Raycroft) to Toronto for the most solid Bruins goaltender in modern history(Tuukka Rask).

Just goes to show how things just dont change as much as we think they do over time, especially with people. If some fans had their way, Rask would have been run out of Boston ala'Moog after the Philly series.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think Rask is 1000 times mentally tough then Binny

I think he’s soft and a very odd guy

Check back in a few years

Not a fan of his

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think Rask is 1000 times mentally tough then Binny

I think he’s soft and a very odd guy

Check back in a few years

Not a fan of his
I don't know how you can even argue this, the on ice results speak for themselves. Don't think it matters what they're like off the ice. Rask is one of the most normal guys you can get in interviews, he's really sharp, quick-witted and engaging whereas Binnington comes across kind of odd and standoffish. I almost got the impression that it was an act and he was trying to put on a front that he didn't get rattled. But forever we were hearing "Binnington always bounces back" or "Binnington always comes through when it matters", and while it seemed crazy to say this about a guy with half a season of experience and one playoff run, he delivered in spectacular fashion when it really did matter.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I don't know how you can even argue this, the on ice results speak for themselves. Don't think it matters what they're like off the ice. Rask is one of the most normal guys you can get in interviews, he's really sharp, quick-witted and engaging whereas Binnington comes across kind of odd and standoffish. I almost got the impression that it was an act and he was trying to put on a front that he didn't get rattled. But forever we were hearing "Binnington always bounces back" or "Binnington always comes through when it matters", and while it seemed crazy to say this about a guy with half a season of experience and one playoff run, he delivered in spectacular fashion when it really did matter.

Andrew Raycroft - Drafted in the 5th Round by Boston
In 2003–04: 29–18–9 record with a 2.05 goals against average (GAA), .926 save percentage and three shutouts
Winner of the Calder Trophy as Rookie of the Year

Next season he lost his job to Tim Thomas and eventually the backup position to Hannu Toivonen.
Traded that summer to Toronto for the rights to unsigned goaltender Tuukka Rask.
(Later revealed they were going to just release Raycroft and the Leafs could have gotten him for free)

Yeah, I'm with DKH. Lets see how Binnington does the next 2 seasons.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Before Rask, who was Bostons #1 franchise goaltender for any extended time(4+ years)?

Andy Moog from 88 to 93.

He was run out of town also for his postseason "collapse" in the 93 playoffs. Boston got swept in the 1st round by the Sabres, losing 3 of the 4 games in OT. With the game 4 OT goal coming by Brad May(MAY DAY! MAY DAY!)

Combine that and the NHLPA rumors with Sinden and the franchise spends the next ~15 years going through a goaltending carousel never finding a #1 until they sign and overage local guy playing in Europe(Tim Thomas) and trade their Rookie Goalie sensation(Andrew Raycroft) to Toronto for the most solid Bruins goaltender in modern history(Tuukka Rask).

Just goes to show how things just dont change as much as we think they do over time, especially with people. If some fans had their way, Rask would have been run out of Boston ala'Moog after the Philly series.

seriously.

its painfully obvious who didnt watch the merry-go-round from hell of Raycroft, Potvin, Carey, Grahame, Toivonen, Fernandez, Tallas, etc

the lone bright spot being '99 Dafoe going .926/2.00, 3rd in Vezina, AS-2

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm not saying they would have. Rask was incredible the first 3 rounds. But as always, it rears its ugly head at some point.

Like Game 2 at home when Thomas gave up that 2nd OT winner to Troy Brouwer?

(Ugly head)

Or game 4 when they had to go another minute to escape the second period?

(Ugly head)

Or Game 5 when he gave up the winner with only a minute left in the game to Brouwer yet again?

(Ugly head)

And then at home in Game 7 with only facing 27 shots he gives up the game winner to Ward 2 minutes into OT.

(Ugly head)

One and done that year.

He also spit the bit against Carolina in 2009. They owned him in overtime.

My point is not that guy you make him out to be.

He had a glorious run the year prior. Im thankful he was part of my third Cup in my lifetime. But he wasnt what you make him out to ge in relation to Rask. At least Im not buying it.

Last edited:

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Him stepping up in the 1st period specifically is the stuff of legends to be completely honest. He had his back against the wall 3 times during that run and was lights out every time.
You said Binnington "embarrassed" Rask, and you claim he has more mental toughness. Yep, I stand by my assertion that's nothing but agenda-driven drivel.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Yikes. No Binnington did not. He has plenty of weaknesses and teams will be figuring them out.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
That is ridiculous. He made a few great saves but a number of the premium Bruins scoring chances were wasted into his logo (Marchand open net as a primary example). His stats heading into Game 7 were woeful. He is an average goalie at best.

"Stuff of legends".

What happened Game 6 when he could have won it on home ice?

Stuff of legends.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You said Binnington "embarrassed" Rask, and you claim he has more mental toughness. Yep, I stand by my assertion that's nothing but agenda-driven drivel.
It was embarrassing, it's tough to get around that. Veteran goalie with a decade of experience having an incredible playoff run going up against a goalie with not even a year experience and coming off a bad game. And Rask on home ice. Binnington stood on his head when it was literally all Boston and it was almost like Rask saw that and gave up when it was his turn. You could just feel the game turning and the Bruins completely deflating when those 2 quick goals went in. If we weren't wallowing in disgust/despair/anger at the time we would have been cringing.

Reactions: BBruins

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That is ridiculous. He made a few great saves but a number of the premium Bruins scoring chances were wasted into his logo (Marchand open net as a primary example). His stats heading into Game 7 were woeful. He is an average goalie at best.

"Stuff of legends".

What happened Game 6 when he could have won it on home ice?

Stuff of legends.
Watch that 1st period back, or the whole game. He was absolutely incredible. It was a landmark moment for a goalie that he can just hang his hat on.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Like Game 2 at home when Thomas gave up that 2nd OT winner to Troy Brouwer?

(Ugly head)

Or game 4 when they had to go another minute to escape the second period?

(Ugly head)

Or Game 5 when he gave up the winner with only a minute left in the game to Brouwer yet again?

(Ugly head)

And then at home in Game 7 with only facing 27 shots he gives up the game winner to Ward 2 minutes into OT.

(Ugly head)

One and done that year.

He also spit the bit against Carolina in 2009. They owned him in overtime.

My point is not that guy you make him out to be.

He had a glorious run the year prior. Im thankful he was part of my third Cup in my lifetime. But he wasnt what you make him out to ge in relation to Rask. At least Im not buying it.

Thomas did win 2 Vezina's in 3 years. Along with the Conn Smythe.

He was pretty good.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thomas did win 2 Vezina's in 3 years. Along with the Conn Smythe.

He was pretty good.

He was.I think Ive said that umpteen times.

But he wasnt the Jesus freakin Christ some think he was either.
The same critique of rearing an ‘ugly head’ applies to him as much as it does Rask. Thats my point.

Now between the two its the best tending we’ve had in a hockey generation. I sure as hell dont want to go back to the wasteland prior.

My absolute bottom line and what I know seperates the best from the mediocre is did he, either one, give the team a chance to win?

More often that not - yes.

We lost this year because of the f***ing forwards . Will beat skill.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He was.I think Ive said that umpteen times.

But he wasnt the Jesus freakin Christ some think he was either.
The same critique of rearing an ‘ugly head’ applies to him as much as it does Rask. Thats my point.

Now between the two its the best tending we’ve had in a hockey generation. I sure as hell dont want to go back to the wasteland prior.

Because only one team wins the Cup every year, that would mean (at least) 15 goalies have ugly head moments every year. And Thomas had them in 2011 also.

Is that your point?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Because only one team wins the Cup every year, that would mean (at least) 15 goalies have ugly head moments every year. And Thomas had them in 2011 also.

Is that your point?

Every goalie has them. Every as in including Thomas.
I LOVED Thomas. But lets not make him a saint and Rask dog shit.
The difference has been razor thin over the long haul.

And to even p,ay with the thought we didnt get a Cup this year because of Rask is beyond laughable to me.

Holy shit. Wheres the tylenol?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
It was embarrassing, it's tough to get around that. Veteran goalie with a decade of experience having an incredible playoff run going up against a goalie with not even a year experience and coming off a bad game. And Rask on home ice. Binnington stood on his head when it was literally all Boston and it was almost like Rask saw that and gave up when it was his turn. You could just feel the game turning and the Bruins completely deflating when those 2 quick goals went in. If we weren't wallowing in disgust/despair/anger at the time we would have been cringing.
It's only embarrassing, because you look for any little thing to shit on Rask about. Rask gave up. Good grief.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Are we talking a franchise first home stanley cup game giving up 5 goals on 19 shots and getting pulled embarrassing?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
For all the Thomas talk, if the Bruins had given Rask goal support of 8-4-5-4 in the Finals they win the Cup.

the 1st line cost them the Cup, not the goaltending. They had zero ES points in the series together and got bent over by the O'Reilly line.

Games 4-7:

Bergeron: 0-1-1, -2
O'Reilly: 4-2-6, +7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad