Player Discussion Tuukka Rask VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Tuuka is elite. Top 5 in the NHL. Just look at the Leaf fans *still* crying because they traded him for Andrew Raycroft. That team's trajectory would have been somewhat different if they'd had Tuuka for the past 8 seasons or so.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In absolute terms it might be a reasonable argument, but athletes are almost always compared to their peers. Hence the "this mediocre modern day player would destroy the league if he had a time machine and went back to the 70s" arguments aren't usually taken very seriously. I'm sure if you zapped Rask back to 80s or 90s, even with smaller equipment his talent and knowledge of modern day goaltending technique would help him to 10 consecutive Vezinas. That said, he doesn't stand out from his peers that much in current era. When Hasek was regularly posting >.920sv% seasons his peers were struggling to get above .900sv%.

I don't think this is the case at all.

Go to the History of Hockey site on these boards. There is a list of top 40 goalies all-time. Lots of info in there.

Remember, Save Percentage wasn't even a stat until the 1980's. This is the era of light yet huge equipment for goalies. Everyone plays a defensive system. From 1970 to 1994 most teams were all offense.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tuuka is elite. Top 5 in the NHL. Just look at the Leaf fans *still* crying because they traded him for Andrew Raycroft. That team's trajectory would have been somewhat different if they'd had Tuuka for the past 8 seasons or so.

The fact is Tuukka hasn't been in the Top 5 in Goals Against Average or Save Percentage since 2013-2014.

Could the Bruins win the Cup with Rask in goal? Absolutely. As things are panning out, Bruins could be the favorites right now.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Past 3 games Rask looks like in 2013 Vezina form

Quickness + anticipation is on point. He is also seeing those high shots very well

Hopefully he can keep it up

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The fact is Tuukka hasn't been in the Top 5 in Goals Against Average or Save Percentage since 2013-2014.

Could the Bruins win the Cup with Rask in goal? Absolutely. As things are panning out, Bruins could be the favorites right now.

Stats are all fine but I can't think of five goalies in the league I'd rather have than Rask.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Who are the other 4?

Good question. Right now I can't think of five or fewer. At the beginning of the season I might have said Holtby, Price,Vasilevsky, Quick. Now? Maybe none of them. I think you could make a case that any of those guys with maybe one or two others would be wash in terms of talent, except Quick with his injuries.

Reactions: rocketdan9

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
The difference (so far) is, he’s not letting in soft goals that breaks the teams back. He’s making timely saves. He actually stole a game 7, and hasn’t looked this good in years. If Rask keeps playing like this, then I can see him taking this team to the promise land. I still don’t like him much. Let’s see what happens.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The difference (so far) is, he’s not letting in soft goals that breaks the teams back. He’s making timely saves. He actually stole a game 7, and hasn’t looked this good in years. If Rask keeps playing like this, then I can see him taking this team to the promise land. I still don’t like him much. Let’s see what happens.

Probably the most negatively toned “compliment” I’ve ever read on this board. Basically implies that Tuukka is more often than not an obstacle to this team succeeding. Which is, of course, completely false.

Tuukka has overall great since the playoffs started. Game 1 of this series could have easily gone the other way and CBJ would be headed home still not having lost a playoff game.

If he stays at this level, Bruins skaters have no excuse outside of themselves to not advance.

Reactions: HumBucker

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
As we all know, not everyone loves Rask. Some criticisms are valid; some are not. One of them in the "not" category that really jumped out at me when I looked at today's game day thread is this:

[Argument against Rask] He's too inconsistent.

[My Response] While no goalie is ever perfectly consistent from game to game or even year to year, Rask might be the most overall consistent goalie to ever play the game. Look at these numbers and tell me they don't scream consistency:

Career regular season numbers = .921 save percentage and 2.28 GAA
Career playoff numbers = .924 save percentage and 2.25 GAA
This year's playoff numbers (so far) = .927 save percentage and 2.24 GAA

It's uncanny.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Not sure bruins have had even a top 10 defense since 2013-2014

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
tenor.gif

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Locked in!

This was a rare game (nothing against him...I’m just typically skittish) where I felt confident that he’d stop everything!

Last edited:

member 96824

I've never had more confidence in him than since he returned after his personal issue.

Reminds me of when Rory right after he broke up with Caroline Wozniacki. Every time he stepped up to the Tee Box you just knew he was going to stripe it 345.

Lucky for him, he didn’t have to depend on other golfers...cause the rest of the team looks like Tiger driving an SUV into a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad