Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow.

I didn’t realize until tonight looking through stats how close he is to becoming the franchise leader in GP and wins.

They’ve had a lot of stability in net over the last decade. Far cry from the days of my childhood when it was a carousel of goalies and coaches.

I projected that Rask would break the record at the Winter Classic. Now I am not even sure he will start that game.

Tuukka will start Sunday in Raleigh and then the break. Then you have the home game with the Devils and a now huge game in Buffalo and then the WC.

Right now it appears Halak is Cassidy's #1.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was surprised when I saw Halak get the start against the Ducks last game.

Been really busy with work during the Christmas period. Did I miss something?

Halak now gets third start in a row against Nashville. At least at this moment, we have to assume Cassidy feels more comfortable with him.

Reactions: smithformeragent

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I projected that Rask would break the record at the Winter Classic. Now I am not even sure he will start that game.

Tuukka will start Sunday in Raleigh and then the break. Then you have the home game with the Devils and a now huge game in Buffalo and then the WC.

Right now it appears Halak is Cassidy's #1.

I think you should start Rask in the WC.

Reactions: Alicat

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think you should start Rask in the WC.
Perhaps because Chicago is bad and you typically play the backup against weaker teams or ok back to backs.

However, if their current levels of play hold, I start Halak in prime time.

As for Rask, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. They’ll need him at some point. This is a good tandem to have and it’s not crippling them financially.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I was surprised when I saw Halak get the start against the Ducks last game.

Been really busy with work during the Christmas period. Did I miss something?

halak shut out montreal on monday, so it seemed like a slam dunk halak would go again. and he was strong
against the ducks, so with back to backs this weekend, he rewards halak's performance with the first start.
rask is still the "#1", but halak is earning more starts. and i'd 100% start rask in the WC.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Doesn't make much sense since Rask has outplayed Halak for 2 months now.

November:

Rask: 3-1-2, .933, 1.96
Halak: 4-3-0, .928, 2.56

December:

Rask: 2-3-0, .909, 2.62
Halak: 3-2-0, .913, 2.62

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Eyeball test says Halak has been better.

You can lay the stats out, but what about the quality of opponent, home/away splits etc.?

Rask has been better since his little hiatus.

They’ve both been very good. It was very interesting though that Halak not only got the start Thursday, but is getting it again this afternoon against a wagon in Nashville.

This tells me a couple of things.

Cassidy isn’t f***ing around. They know every point matters. If that weren’t the case, I think a simple every other game rotation is what you go with and then start the hot hand in the playoffs. They want to avoid 4th place and the WC IMO.

Having said that, I think it’s becoming clear that Cassidy trusts Halak more right now.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Doesn't make much sense since Rask has outplayed Halak for 2 months now.

November:

Rask: 3-1-2, .933, 1.96
Halak: 4-3-0, .928, 2.56

December:

Rask: 2-3-0, .909, 2.62
Halak: 3-2-0, .913, 2.62
Um... Your own stats only show he outplayed him for 1 month, and they are pretty much on par for the 2nd month, with Halak slightly edging him out.

Right now, take away their salaries, I'm fine with Cassidy picking whomever he feels is most ready the game of.

Reactions: sleepyh

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Reactions: Dr Hook

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
halak shut out montreal on monday, so it seemed like a slam dunk halak would go again. and he was strong
against the ducks, so with back to backs this weekend, he rewards halak's performance with the first start.
rask is still the "#1", but halak is earning more starts. and i'd 100% start rask in the WC.

And Rask's career numbers were not good against Montreal or the Ducks.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Halak now gets third start in a row against Nashville. At least at this moment, we have to assume Cassidy feels more comfortable with him.
They mentioned today that Rask was playing with minor upper body injury. That is the beauty of signing Halak. If your “backup” is playing lights out then you have luxury of letting minor injuries heal.

As someone said in the “who sits on D thread” — B’s are in same situation on D. Having depth allows nagging injuries time to heal outright or just improve with maintenance days.

We need an add or two up front. If we can even approximate same depth up front as we have on D and in net, watch out!

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
They mentioned today that Rask was playing with minor upper body injury. That is the beauty of signing Halak. If your “backup” is playing lights out then you have luxury of letting minor injuries heal.

As someone said in the “who sits on D thread” — B’s are in same situation on D. Having depth allows nagging injuries time to heal outright or just improve with maintenance days.

We need an add or two up front. If we can even approximate same depth up front as we have on D and in net, watch out!
This is bang-on. Get another wing that can score (ideally that'd fit with Krejci) & maybe a solid 3c and - I hesitate to jinx anything - but I'd be very comfortable headed into the playoffs, barring injuries of course.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Not too shabby. From today’s Herald

Rask approaching milestone

Heading into Saturday’s game, Tuukka Rask is just two wins away from 250 in his career, and five wins away from having the most goalie wins in franchise history.

Just 10 other NHL active goalies have more than 250 wins, and all of them have played more games than Rask.

Bruins notebook: Kevan Miller’s latest return a bit different – Boston Herald

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
upload_2019-1-8_18-25-58.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad