Tuukka Rask: can he maintain consistency?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
20140625_094758_tuuuuuuuuuk_300.jpg

Step it up, man!!!

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I could see a scenario where the Habs are fighting for their playoff lives this coming year.

I hardly think Chia is sitting in his office and making moves based solely on the thought of playing the Habs

Great Plan B... :5:

Mind you, the plan would get a helping hand if Rask could beat them during the regular season.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Wait ? What ? :laugh:

We've been spoiled in net !

Gotta love when Bruins stop skating and Tuukka takes the blame ..hahaaa

Last edited:

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Tuukka Rask:...

I got nothing to say about this guy. He may have off nights like everybody else, but overall, the guy is a world-class goaltender and a winner. He keeps getting better every year.

After winning the Vezina, what else can you ask? He's not the reason we lost against Chicago, although those final two goals are not his best work.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Tuukka sucks against the Habs but so does our entire team. Our first line center had 2 points in the 7 game series. 2. And I think one of them may been an empty net goal.

Tuukka did not play well enough to steal a game/series but he played well enough to give us an opportunity to win. 1 goal in two clinching games...1 ******* goal. Unless Tuukka's scoring goals now he didn't have much of an opportunity.

He does need to work on making the big saves at the big times. But our team needs to work on getting the puck behind the net at the big times. This was his first year as a full-season starter and he did incredibly well. He has a lot of playoff experience and will only get stronger. He is the very least of our problems.

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010
Tuukka has consistency covered. Will he ever win the big one? Whatever, I'll take him and I think his effect will be felt over time. Developing and signing Tuukka is the fruition of a long term plan that is in its best years. The cap will shake out but Tuukka isn't going anywhere and that is about as consistent as it gets.

Let's face it, the Bruins defense is going to be good for the foreseeable future, which doesn't leave a lot to gripe about in the goaltending department. Other goalies are always very good in the Bruins system but Tuukka is great! And he paid his dues working with/against one of the great competitors the position has ever seen in Thomas. He knows he has that to live up to, and it probably drives him. What's not to like? Who would you rather have?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Yeah, Rask is a tough to figure out.

He's been so good in some playoff series, like when he beat Pittsburgh or when the B's upset Buffalo in 2010, but at other times he seems to kind of come unravelled, like in that Philly game 7 or the end of G6 against Chicago, where he leaves in a couple quick goals and we go from almost winning the game to the series being over. I also thought he got outplayed by Price pretty soundly last year. I don't blame the series on him, lots of blame to go around, but he deserves a slice of the blame pie. Given his ability, what he makes and the status he's earned in the league I think it's fair to hold him to a high standard, and he didn't play up to that standard in that series, IMO.

Last edited:

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010

He's been so good in some playoff series, like when he beat Pittsburgh or when the B's upset Buffalo in 2010, but at other times he seems to kind of come unravelled, like in that Philly game 7 or the end of G6 against Chicago, where he leaves in a couple quick goals and we go from almost winning the game to the series being over. I also thought he got outplayed by Price pretty soundly last year. I don't blame the series on him, lots of blame to go around, but he deserves a slice of the blame pie. Given his ability, what he makes and the status he's earned in the league I think it's fair to hold him to a high standard, and he didn't play up to that standard in that series, IMO.

Agree, but don't find especial fault with him for this on the team. I don't know, goalies are kind of like starting pitching and or quarterbacks to me in a way- you either have it or you don't and the Bruins have it. There is still a hurdle for Tuukka to get over, I suppose, but that's what keeps me watching, eh?

I do think the run stopped by a great Blackhawks team does absolve some of the Philly sting and answered all questions but one.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Must win vezina+hart+smythe

Just the Smythe would be great

Rask has proven himself to be a top goalie in the NHL, however, there are many great goalies in the NHL now. In my opinion winning the Vezina is nice, but it just illustrates that he had a great season. The question isn't if Rask is a great goalie, he is, but if he can become the best goalie in the NHL.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The guy seems to be at his best when the Bruins D gives up almost nothing or gives up a ton. Against the Habs we often doesn't give alot of shots or alot of chances, but alots of "A" chances and he doesn't seems to find his groove.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
In the Montreal series, Boston gave up a lot of gret scoring opportunities with blown coverages and turnovers and the Canadiens players capitalized on those chances. Boston had a harder time generating quality scoring chances that they actually could score on. Boston made Price look a lot better than he is as they continually shoot the puck into Price's chest (which they have done since he came into the league). This can be contributed to Price being good positionally, but we have seen Bruins' players have half the net to shoot at, hit him in the chest. When they didn't hit him in the chest, they either missed the net or hit the post.

No Boston goalie even Thomas can win against Montreal when the team in front of them is not scoring goals. The biggest difference between the two teams is that Montreal players step their games up gainst the Bruins where the Bruins players (ALL PLayers) tend to play poorly. It could be that Montreal is normally the underdog and have nothing to lose where the Bruins know if they lose then everyone will be talking about how they cannot beat the Canadiens because of some curse.

I think we have to remember that even Tim Thomas had trouble at times against the Canadiens when he was first starting out with Boston. The Bruins play a completely different style against Montreal than they do against every other team in the league and as a former goalie, you plan your game based on how the team in front of you plays. When you know how the team plays against 28 teams it easy to know what is expected from you. Against Montreal, we don't know if Boston will win 7-6 or or lose 6-0. This means that Rask (or any other goalie) doesn't know if they are going to have to get a shutout to win or if they can play a little more relaxed if a goal happens to go in because they have confidence that the team in front of them will score.

Until the entire team can figure out the proper gameplan against Montreal, we will continue to see loses go up in the column and the same conversations every off season.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Bingo.

Some real issues in the Chicago series. The goal he let up in overtime of Game 4 haunts me. That whole game haunts me.

A top 3 goalie in the world, and even those guys have bad games or series in the playoffs. You get there enough you'll have some bad ones.

It is okay to say he didn't play well enough against Montreal. He didn't. Lots of guys didn't. I dream of a day on this board where a guy can get criticized without forty modifiers included so you can avoid being called a "hater."

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Bingo.

Some real issues in the Chicago series. The goal he let up in overtime of Game 4 haunts me. That whole game haunts me.

A top 3 goalie in the world, and even those guys have bad games or series in the playoffs. You get there enough you'll have some bad ones.

It is okay to say he didn't play well enough against Montreal. He didn't. Lots of guys didn't. I dream of a day on this board where a guy can get criticized without forty modifiers included so you can avoid being called a "hater."

As always, there's a difference between intelligent critiques and "he stinks because he's never won a Cup."

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
As always, there's a difference between intelligent critiques and "he stinks because he's never won a Cup."

Agree. But it isn't just that.

I have seen a ton of posts since we lost to Montreal where someone said, "Rask got outplayed. He wasn't at his best," followed by something like, "Jesus yeah blame him. It was all his fault when the team couldn't score!"

Too many people take any criticism as hatred. It gets tiresome.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As far as regular season game-to-game consistency goes, I think he's the most consistent goalie in the league. He's also had multiple incredible performances in the playoffs (Penguins, Rangers, Wings, Sabres), along with a decent series against the Leafs too. Problem is that he's more or less collapsed all 3 times he lost in the playoffs (and honestly, the epic loss to the Flyers was probably his best performance out of those 3 series, so you know it's been really bad). While his consistency in the regular season is definitely commendable, he really needs to put together a complete playoff run.

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
Two of the posters in here criticizing Rask and demanding he win a Cup for THEM before THEY would deem him worthy of excellence were unable to spell his name correctly. Just an observation.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
great thread to make after he wins the Vezina in his first year on a new contract

What goalies have even been bought out?

Bryz? His monster one was the first he signed his with Philly, so no proven success with that system.

DiPietro? Do I even need to get into him?

Whereas Rask has already had good seasons before signing a big extension. Same with other goalies like Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick, who all signed big contracts after proven success. So no, we haven't seen "that" before

Loungo?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I find it amazing how there exists a list of players no one can dare challange (i.e Rask). I have not one poster in my ignore, simply because it would make me ignorant. Ignorant of the fact that there exist opinions other than my own. It's probably the worst feature on HF boards.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Too many years, too much money. And yet, we are talking about a top 3 goalie in the NHL so it's hard to be mad. Hopefully in, say, 5 years it doesn't look bad though.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Tuukka Rask:...

I got nothing to say about this guy. He may have off nights like everybody else, but overall, the guy is a world-class goaltender and a winner. He keeps getting better every year.

After winning the Vezina, what else can you ask? He's not the reason we lost against Chicago, although those final two goals are not his best work.

Before 2011 Thomas was a legit no.1 goalie for the Bruins,he obviously peaked in 2011 with an outstanding year.I feel that Rask has the potential to rise to the occasion like Timmy did,he isn't there yet but is still young and entering his prime.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Bingo.

I am going to watch highlights of that game 4 vs.Chicago now on Apple TV.That whole series haunts me,when we went up 2-1,I started making preparations for a Stanley Cup party.I feel like I jinxed the series.:sarcasm:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
The guy won the Vezina in his first *full* year at #1 goaltender. Yeah, he doesn't have those magic games like TT had, but we're still fairly spoiled to have him.

PlaceboFan

Sep 24, 2014
I say that he was pretty darn magical against the Red Wings. He made that series look easy for the Bruins, when in reality it was much closer than it should've been. It's just that Bruins are apparently incapable of closing a playoffs series unless their goalie is playing like a demon. Kings were well capable of winning the cup while Quick was being mediocre. Hopefully Seidenberg's return will ease the work for Rask and he can carry them all the way this time, because he's the one who has to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad