Player Discussion Tuukka-non vs Anti Rasker: where do you stand?

What side of the Tuukka Rask debate are you on

• Total voters

member 96824

I'm guessing the same people can't believe it's not butter

UnselfishDecisiveHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Alicat

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I adore Rask one of my favorite Bruins, and favorite Bruin goalie of my lifetime.

That said, I'd start Swayman tonight

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I'm pro Bruin,

But at the end of the day Sweeney and Butch where not going to put their jobs on the line and go with a rookie. Rask can save their jobs with two great performances and they know it.

I have faith we can pull it off

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Underachieving at the most important times and the fans of Rask treating any criticism as heresy because how dare you criticize a long tenured Bruins player.

Point out the moments where Rask underachieved.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
For me the Tuukka question is always amusing. That, my friends, is because I've seen the darkness. So much so, that I understand the real risk of letting perfection being the enemy of good. Is Tuukka the guy moving forward? I don't know, but I know he's been damn good for us.

You look for perfection but along the way (next bit not safe for children) you find: Grahame, Pettie, Belanger, Craig, Moffat, Riggin, Baron, Foster, Keans, Daskalakis, DelGuidice, Casey, Blue, Bilington, Lacher, Chevaldae,.....oh God, help me please............ Potvin, Graham, Tallas, Fernandez... Oh Sweet Jesus make it stop....... MANNY f***ING FERNANDEZ......

I'd go on, but you'd not sleep for a decade if I did. So please ignore me, I'm going to go away and very loudly weep in the corner. Tuukka?????:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Not sure why any Bs fan would necessarily be anti Rask considering he is an elite goalie who has done more than enough multiple times in the playoffs to put the team in a position to win series. I am "anti-Bs can't score goals in key situations" if anything.

I agree that he shouldn't be playing tonight if he is hurt. Hard to believe Bruce would put him in if he is not close to 100%.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Bullsh*t

In 2019 Rask played good enough to where the series should've been over in less than 6 games. It's not his fault the team couldn't score to save their lives.

Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak combined for 3 total ES points in that series. ROR alone had 8 ES points against them

Game 2: Rask had stopped 34 of 36 before the OT goal, only gets 2 goals support
Game 5: Rask stops 35 of 38, again only gets 2 goals support
Game 6: Allows 2 goals, gets a whopping 1 of support

Games 2, 5, 6 he gets 5 total goals of support. How many goalies win with 1.33 GPG for?

Games 1-6, Rask allows 12 total goals for 2.00 GAA (2,3,2,3,1,1) and a .925 SV%

I agree without Rask especially in 2019 they wouldn't have gotten that far but in game 7 that same Tuukka wasn't there and in Game six vs the Blackhawks, if he had been he would be legend, like Tim Thomas or more so.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I still don’t understand how one could maintain a…

You know what? I’m not going to get into it. It’s not the time.

Rask is one of the best and most consistent goaltenders I’ve had the pleasure of watching in this league. I feel extra fortunate that he’s been a Bruin the entire time. Whatever happens tonight, it doesn’t change that.

Go Tuukka and Go Bruins!

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I am not anti anything other than more small Don Sweeney esk D men.

However we are NOT getting the goaltending heroics that teams whom advance get.

Wanting more from him is not wrong because we know he is capable.
Pulling him out of a clutch game because he has an injury and not capable of attaining the elite level we need is management.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
"When it matters"

How you define this is my favorite exercise.

Rask haters always make the claim that he chokes "when it matters". When pushed to provide examples, they bring up bubble games, regular season games, early round games....

I guess conference finals never count. Name another goalie in nhl history that is 8-0 in the conf finals with 7 total goals against.

A shutout in the actual cup finals doesn't count.

Game 6 vs St Louis with our backs against the wall doesn't count.

It's always a moving target with them.

Tonight will only count if he loses.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
"When it matters"

How you define this is my favorite exercise.

Rask haters always make the claim that he chokes "when it matters". When pushed to provide examples, they bring up bubble games, regular season games, early round games....

I guess conference finals never count. Name another goalie in nhl history that is 8-0 in the conf finals with 7 total goals against.

A shutout in the actual cup finals doesn't count.

Game 6 vs St Louis with our backs against the wall doesn't count.

It's always a moving target with them.

Tonight will only count if he loses.
Just the fact that he’s been in so many of these “big” games that we have the option of cherry-picking which ones count and which don't says something, doesn't it? How many garbage goaltenders have afforded their teams that kind of success over the years?

Reactions: Lo97 and BrainOfJ

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Tuukka has been a very good to great goalie for a long time. I'm also tired of what seems like an annual guessing game with him. Will he be injured, will he have the runs, will he finally put it all together and get over that Stanley Cup hump, being the only player to have to leave the bubble.

I don't hate the guy. He's good but also has gotten deserved criticism. I am just ready to rip the bandage off and embrace the Swayman era.

I get it. But I'd like Rask to stick around for, say, two more seasons.

He can help bring Sway along, and one shouldn't underestimate that.

As far as handing the reigns to Jeremy post haste, he's good and will get better. But

"Be careful what you wish for, Virginia. You just might get it."

MarbleMist

May 17, 2021
It's no surprise that the Bruins starting goalie has become a hot button for debate over the years and the news today coupled with the awful performance in game 5 has brought it to a tipping point. So I figured I would create a thread and a poll to truly measure the opinion of Bruins Goalie Tuukka Rask as it really has become a pick a side level of debate now. There is no middle ground anymore. Albeit, with a bit of a comical twist coming from 98.5 as they came up with the "Anti-Rasker" and "Tuukka-non" labels.

So Bruins fans, I ask you. Are you an anti Rask-er like me or are you part of the Tuukka-non?

Also, let's try to keep it civil please. I know this very contested and I have been very strong worded in my past critiques, but I would like to keep this as calm as possible.

There is no Rask 'debate'. There are just threads and conversations like this started by an extremely vocal but overwhelmingly small minority.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is a shame it is going to end like this. Broken down by injury, and with a coach too spineless to sit a wounded player

I love Tuukka. It's not his fault. He should be getting medical treatment and not on the ice the last 2 games

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I was 100% in his corner but I'm done. Bailed last year.

I don't think he wants it bad enough. Time to move on.

I wouldn't mind Andersen or some 1B to run with Swayman.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Rask should be back next year, but I am totally open to Swayman getting a chance to win the starting job from him . Not hate, just circle of life

PlinySR

Oct 12, 2017
New England
He was clearly bad tonight, and he never seems to be able to steal a game when you need it.

I don't hate the guy, but he should no longer be payed at the top of the goalie market. At least not by the Bruins. I think it's time to move on if he is unwilling to take a significant pay cut.

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
It is time to move on from the guy.....especially at 7 million. I really liked what i saw from Swayman.....Lets get a solid backup veteran for the kid...Not Halak eitherl.....Is he signed ?....I need to see our contracts......Lots of changes have to be made. But i still love the core......

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Great decade plus but came up short when it mattered. He's also going to cost a lot.

Good luck in Colorado. Swayman and 7mil to spend on depth works for me.

AK37

May 25, 2006
RI
If people still think Rask is/was the problem.....there is no hope for you to be able to dissect hockey plays

Every goalie gives up some goals they want back, every goalie gets beat.....the problem has never been weak goals allowed, the problem has always been complete defensive breakdown over and over and over along with turnovers, poor puck management and the goal scorers inability to produce 5 on 5 in the playoffs against tougher opponents

I've never been more confident that Rask is not "the problem".....that being said, I'm totally fine with turning it over to Swayman, free up the money and use it to get better defensemen to help McAvoy

Erase McAvoy and tell me that a team with 5 D of Reilly, Grzelcyk, Clifton, Tinordi and Lauzon is a cup contending team.....I've seen last place teams with a better #2 through #6 dressing on defense

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Rask is an elite regular season goalie, he's had playoff runs where he has been elite and if i had to pick a side im on it's a positive one but there are things that will always be held against him unless he can win a cup and it might be over for him in Boston, being part of the biggest choke job in franchise history and then Thomas coming back the next season and carrying the team at times as they won the cup wasn't a great look for him, his record in game 7's is also terrible and has been bailed out in these games just as much as he has been let down by the rest of the team. 3-3, .866 save%, 3.39 GAA if someone told you those were Fleury's career numbers in game 7 some would be surprised but plenty wouldn't, they're not Fleury's numbers though they're Tuukka's. He's not the problem and if the money is right would be happy for him to stay but part of me thinks that the spotlight and pressure some of these big playoff games create makes him smaller as a goalie and it might be time to investment that money in improving the defense and going with Swayman or a cheaper veteran option than Rask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad