Player Discussion Tuukka-non vs Anti Rasker: where do you stand?

What side of the Tuukka Rask debate are you on

• Total voters

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It's no surprise that the Bruins starting goalie has become a hot button for debate over the years and the news today coupled with the awful performance in game 5 has brought it to a tipping point. So I figured I would create a thread and a poll to truly measure the opinion of Bruins Goalie Tuukka Rask as it really has become a pick a side level of debate now. There is no middle ground anymore. Albeit, with a bit of a comical twist coming from 98.5 as they came up with the "Anti-Rasker" and "Tuukka-non" labels.

So Bruins fans, I ask you. Are you an anti Rask-er like me or are you part of the Tuukka-non?

Also, let's try to keep it civil please. I know this very contested and I have been very strong worded in my past critiques, but I would like to keep this as calm as possible.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm not anti Rask in general, and I'd love to see him come back next year, but for tonight's game, it should be Swayman. I get that's not ideal, but I'm basing it only on Rask not being healthy and clearly looking uncomfortable out there. In a perfect world, Rask would be healthy and it would be an easy decision. As it stands now, Cassidy is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Go with the known commodity that's not right, or take a chance on the young guy with no track record.

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I'm in the middle. I think many fans, myself included tend to blame Rask before anyone else because when you lose its easiest to blame to goalie as they are the one that let the puck . You could have McAvoy decide to randomly slap shot it past Tuukka 25 times and people would still blame Rask.

Another thing, before Thomas this team had 0 goaltending and I don't think many people realize how good we have it with Rask. I highly doubt we approach the 2013 or 2019 cup without him in net.

With that said, I do think its time to move on and look towards the future and I would be okay if they didn't resign him.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm not anti Rask in general, and I'd love to see him come back next year, but for tonight's game, it should be Swayman. I get that's not ideal, but I'm basing it only on Rask not being healthy and clearly looking uncomfortable out there. In a perfect world, Rask would be healthy and it would be an easy decision. As it stands now, Cassidy is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Go with the known commodity that's not right, or take a chance on the young guy with no track record.

This is where I am too. I know how tricky back injuries are. I know what I saw Monday was a guy struggling to move with back pain. I know it doesn't just go away overnight.

I won't be surprised if Cassidy has to put Swayman out there sometime tonight.

Reactions: LSCII

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
He’s a great goalie who played great for the bruins. If they bring him back I’m cool with it. If they go with Swayman I’m cool with it.

He takes a lot of heat when they lose. For instance on Comcast post game they talked about the barzal shot out of position ... I think not . I didn’t see the puck go in until the light went in. Barzal has beaten a lot of goalies like that lol .

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I am not a Rask hater, but there have been several incidents over the years in which he failed to rise to the occasion. He has fallen ill at inopprtune times; when it's mattered most, he has not delivered.

There are several aspects of this series that have proven problematic, like being outmanned and outplayed on D; third and fourth line woes; Cassidy outcoached by Trotz.

If Rask were healthy, I'd say put him in. He's an excellent goaltender, and he has a lot of experience.

But he's not healthy. Not knowing the nature of the injury or injuries, it's unwise to have him start.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Bruins fans have been spoiled by excellent goaltending for a long time. Rask is elite and if you are an antiRasker I can't understand what your issue is with him.

Underachieving at the most important times and the fans of Rask treating any criticism as heresy because how dare you criticize a long tenured Bruins player.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Thomas will always be my binky.

That said, I’m biased against whoever the next guy was.

However, it comes down to results.
I want Tuukka to do well.
I want the team to play well and win.
Whomever is in net, I want the Bruins to be successful.

Now, moving forward, I look at the reality of the cap and the teams that have been able to turn it over at the goaltending position and use those cap dollars to fill other holes.

That’s mighty appealing to me.

At the same time, you look at how a guy like Carey Price is carrying the Canadiens.

Hockey is unique in that if you don’t have the guy in net, it might not matter how good the rest of your team is in front of him. Looking at you, 2010s Flyers.

Unless you’re the 90’s Red Wings and can win with average goaltending, you need a workhorse back there.

So, Pro Rask? Anti Rask?

I dunno.

Label me what you will.

I want the team to win. There are different ways to do that.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Bruins fans have been spoiled by excellent goaltending for a long time. Rask is elite and if you are an antiRasker I can't understand what your issue is with him.

We absolutely have been spoiled, and less than grateful, per the generally superior goaltending that Rask has provided for over a decade. He's been an elite talent/technician for that long, which is amazing.

Sometimes, you don't know what you've got till it's gone,

Luckily, Bruins fans finally recognized the greatness of Thomas, Chara, Bergeron & Marchand while still members of the club. That was not the case for many years. Good for you, what have you done for me lately Boston fans!

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Ive seen Rask stand on his head and literally win games that the Bruins shouldn't of won regular season and Playoffs, but then I've seen him lay an egg in big games. Overall I think he's great more than not but he hasn't made the difference in 2013 or 2019 when it really counted.

With this said, I want him back to play along side Swayman because Rask is still elite but Im not breaking the bank.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Tuukka has been a very good to great goalie for a long time. I'm also tired of what seems like an annual guessing game with him. Will he be injured, will he have the runs, will he finally put it all together and get over that Stanley Cup hump, being the only player to have to leave the bubble.

I don't hate the guy. He's good but also has gotten deserved criticism. I am just ready to rip the bandage off and embrace the Swayman era.

Reactions: GordonHowe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Tuukka should've won the Conn Smythe in 2019, and could've won it in 2013 if a bounce went our way. He's a guy with some really bad luck at the worst times, it seems.

Reactions: Lo97

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
I've seen too many years of Bruins teams that got substandard goaltending to personally not appreciate Tuukka. And I personally hope Swayman can be the next guy, but I'm not sure we can hand the reins to him after 9 games. I hope we resign him for a couple of years to groom Swayman and then go from there.

Reactions: Lo97

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Tuukka is a great goalie. Has had a great career.

I have however, over time, developed a sinking feeling with him that he just can’t get it done when it matters. I actually think his mental approach of not giving a f*** helps him win a lot of games, but for some reason he never seems to be able to get us to the top of the mountain. I get it, his numbers are awesome etc but it’s just a gut feeling I’ve developed by being gut punched too many times. It’s not all on him but it is what it is.

given his tendencies to choke, and the injury issues, there is zero doubt in my mind I roll with Swayman tonight if I’m Cassidy. I think this is Rasks last game in Boston anyway, so would have thrown the dice and hoped Swayman could go on a Rookie run like Patrick Roy.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Pro Bruins.
I want them to win.

I hate how any criticism or doubt in a player automatically makes people anti-Player X. Or if you blindly treat them as the best player ever, you are Pro-Player X. It's all a grey area, and while we can be fans of players and fans of the team, it kills discussion (good or bad) towards a player if you start labeling yourself one way or the other. I think most people here are pro-Bruins, and obviously some may have favorites over others, but I don't get this sentiment to pick sides either way.

Whether I agree with the choice or not, I want the Bruins going with the goalie they think is healthiest and gives us the best chance of winning. The name/number on the back of the jersey doesn't matter.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ive seen Rask stand on his head and literally win games that the Bruins shouldn't of won regular season and Playoffs, but then I've seen him lay an egg in big games. Overall I think he's great more than not but he hasn't made the difference in 2013 or 2019 when it really counted.

With this said, I want him back to play along side Swayman because Rask is still elite but Im not breaking the bank.

Bullsh*t

In 2019 Rask played good enough to where the series should've been over in less than 6 games. It's not his fault the team couldn't score to save their lives.

Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak combined for 3 total ES points in that series. ROR alone had 8 ES points against them

Game 2: Rask had stopped 34 of 36 before the OT goal, only gets 2 goals support
Game 5: Rask stops 35 of 38, again only gets 2 goals support
Game 6: Allows 2 goals, gets a whopping 1 of support

Games 2, 5, 6 he gets 5 total goals of support. How many goalies win with 1.33 GPG for?

Games 1-6, Rask allows 12 total goals for 2.00 GAA (2,3,2,3,1,1) and a .925 SV%

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA

I agree. If Tuukka isn't 100%, then Swayman should START. Allowing him to prepare, and get into the game from the start would give him, and the team the best chance for success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad