News Article: Turris Lagesson to waivers

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Out of the 3 I think Shore will stick. I expect McLoed to replace Turris at some point this season. If Perlini can get 15 goals from the bottom line that’s also a huge plus and he’s done that before. Also these lines don’t play in a vacuum. We have a much stronger cast in front of them and a rising tide floats all boats.
Shore certainly could be the steadiest of the three.
Along time ago when the earth was green i remember a two way scoring centre for the University of Wisconson. His defensive ability was touted. Its been obvious for sometime Kyle is not up to centre responsibilities....I wonder if he could shape shift back and play two way on the wing....can he get his mind around not being a top line player and not being an elite scorer/playmaker on his line?
The fourth line this year will be anything but static.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
That's what Holland did the past two seasons and those bottom two lines basically cancelled out all the good the top two did at 5v5.

And this offseason brought in 4 forwards who with the idea of easing the burden of the top line doing 95% of the work.

I'm stoked to see what the reinforcements can do now that the action is finally going to be for real

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sounds more like a useless NPC to me.

Ok you can be a smallish half elf Druid whose favourite transformation is into a Honey Badger who goes by the name Yamo Kailer and given that he’s true Nuetral he doesn’t give a shit about anything.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's what Holland did the past two seasons and those bottom two lines basically cancelled out all the good the top two did at 5v5.

Sorry, not buying that a teams 4th line is the lynchpin for the entire season like it seems you’re trying to claim. Go look around the league at 4th lines everywhere. Guess we could trade Drai for a couple of good 4th liners if it would make you happy…but it’ll make the team worse.

your top six needs to be able to win the EV battle, your top paid players need to be the ones who come through in the clutch. That didn’t happen for us at EV last year. That’s where things fell apart in the playoffs.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Shore was on the ice for 12 goals for and 15 goals against at even strength last year. Far from the disaster your making it out to be. If he’s with some guys who can actually produce that easily swings into the positives.
this thread is about drastic sweeping generalizations, so if you dont mind can you keep cold hard actual facts out of the discussion?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Sorry, not buying that a teams 4th line is the lynchpin for the entire season like it seems you’re trying to claim. Go look around the league at 4th lines everywhere. Guess we could trade Drai for a couple of good 4th liners if it would make you happy…but it’ll make the team worse.

your top six needs to be able to win the EV battle, your top paid players need to be the ones who come through in the clutch. That didn’t happen for us at EV last year. That’s where things fell apart in the playoffs.

Your fourth line becomes important when they bleed goals at a rate higher than your top six is scoring them.

I'd ask you to do the same. Take a quick look at teams around the league and see how many had four 4th line players among their six worst forwards in 5v5 GA/60 like the Oilers did last season.

I don't really get why people get so offended when you suggest the team should maybe not target players who have been historically horrific defensive players for close to a decade and then throw them all on a line together.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Your fourth line becomes important when they bleed goals at a rate higher than your top six is scoring them.

I'd ask you to do the same. Take a quick look at teams around the league and see how many had four 4th line players among their six worst forwards in 5v5 GA/60 like the Oilers did last season.

I don't really get why people get so offended when you suggest the team should maybe not target players who have been historically horrific defensive players for close to a decade and then throw them all on a line together.
Not offended at all. Just don’t get it when people think the 4th line who plays 5ish minutes a game is the linchpin of the entire team.

I would expect 4th liners to have the worst 5v5 GA/60. They get the worst zone starts…and they’re 4th line players. Do you expect 4th liners to have better GA/60 than top line players??? That’s ass backwards.

but again if your top lines, who take up a huge amount of the salary cap, can’t make up for the even strength deficit of the bottom lines, then it also means that your top two lines aren’t getting the job done at EV. We saw that last year where our top lines could score at EV, but they bled goals against at EV as well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not offended at all. Just don’t get it when people think the 4th line who plays 5ish minutes a game is the linchpin of the entire team.

I would expect 4th liners to have the worst 5v5 GA/60. They get the worst zone starts…and they’re 4th line players. Do you expect 4th liners to have better GA/60 than top line players??? That’s ass backwards.

but again if your top lines, who take up a huge amount of the salary cap, can’t make up for the even strength deficit of the bottom lines, then it also means that your top two lines aren’t getting the job done at EV. We saw that last year where our top lines could score at EV, but they bled goals against at EV as well.

Goals against are goals against. You don't have to be a "linchpin" to affect the team.

If that's your expectation, take a quick look at other teams. These are guys that have no expectation for offense and the easiest job on the team. Being competent defensively is pretty much the base line for every quality fourth line in the league.

I'd say that's a questionable conclusion. Dressing players that are as bad as McDavid is good isn't McDavid's fault.

Reactions: Rengorlex

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

Edmonton's 5vs5 goalshare without its top 2 players was the worst in the entire NHL.

Worse than Buffalo's without their top 2 guys, and massively worse than any other playoff teams.

It's ass-backwards to blame the top 6 for this.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Except every 4th line bleeds goals at a higher rate than they score them. These are the tough minute D-zone start guys playing 9 minutes tops a game, and penalty killers. They have many more minutes in the d-zone and the neutral zone than the offensive zone and the best we can expect is a few goals chipped in and play keep away on the wall to rest our top players.

This ideal where every player needs to outscore the opposition is idiotic, and has no basis in reality other than the 80's Oilers and some of those guys were D-zone tough minute guys too.

I'd love to see Tippett play Benson - McLeod - Marody for 10 games and let's see what that goal rate is. It won't be above 50%.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Except every 4th line bleeds goals at a higher rate than they score them. These are the tough minute D-zone start guys playing 9 minutes tops a game, and penalty killers. They have many more minutes in the d-zone and the neutral zone than the offensive zone and the best we can expect is a few goals chipped in and play keep away on the wall to rest our top players.

This ideal where every player needs to outscore the opposition is idiotic, and has no basis in reality other than the 80's Oilers and some of those guys were D-zone tough minute guys too.

I'd love to see Tippett play Benson - McLeod - Marody for 10 games and let's see what that goal rate is. It won't be above 50%.

You might want to fact check that. There were two teams in the playoffs last year with a fourth line that bled more 5v5 goals against than scored them. The Oilers and Bruins.

That wasn't what I was talking about though. A 4th line is pretty insignificant when they're hovering around an even goal differential. When they're so bad that they start getting outscored more than the best player in the world is outscoring people, that's when it becomes a pretty important thing. Some attention from the GM other than throwing the leftovers down there would have been nice.

I'm not asking for skill players like Benson/McLeod/Marody. I'd just like to see some guys with a track record of being slightly competent defensively. They really aren't that hard to find. A bunch of them signed for league minimum. We had one on a PTO. Even a handful of them hit waivers. Turris and, to a lesser extent, Shore, have been so bad for so long, it's hard not to upgrade on them defensively.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Sceviour is exactly the type of player that can tread water and play tough defensive zone minutes. Basically you want 3 Sceviours on the 4th line and you are laughing as that 4th line then is an asset as it can kill penalties and also play 10 minutes of low event hockey every night... clearing the way for your top 3 lines to positively take advantage of their minutes.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Sceviour is exactly the type of player that can tread water and play tough defensive zone minutes. Basically you want 3 Sceviours on the 4th line and you are laughing as that 4th line then is an asset as it can kill penalties and also play 10 minutes of low event hockey every night... clearing the way for your top 3 lines to positively take advantage of their minutes.

Tippet doesnt like him.

Sceviour Shore Aechibald would be a interresting 4th line.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Can somebody explain to me what the Oilers would have to do to obtain Gibson (if he's available, and needed, at the TDL)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad