TSN: Turning Point: Team Toughness And Brotherhood

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
The big difference is our goaltending is actually competent this year.

It's like noone remembers almost every game post january at least one soft goal going in each game. It was actually shocking when we didn't give up a softy in a game.

Reimer is back to form now, not playing nearly as scared or deep, seemingly improved on his glove hand as well.

a #1 G can really give your team momentum and can really steal those few extra games you need to make the playoffs. We were 6 games out last year, a few less the year before, we definitely had more than 6 games of bad goaltending last year.

MrLegend28*

I'm going to be "that guy" and say we haven't reached the turning point yet.

I agree. But at the same time, last year and the years before we would lose these games to the lower seeded teams. This year were getting those points and we're gonna steal games against the better teams and that will be the difference in the end between the playoffs and not.

No win has been pretty lately minus Montreal but all that matters is the W.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Randy's system is resulting in the same amount of shots for and against, the same amount of goals for.

the one big difference in the numbers is a huge jump in save percentage for only one, not both, of our goalies.

Those numbers don't tell anyone anything about the quality of the shots.

The Leafs have played much smarter defensively.

This has a lot to do with the new system Randy Carlyle has put into place.

I suppose you think there has been zero changes since Ron Wilson got fired.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
It does feel like the defensive coverage is much better this year and no more two hands on the stick rule from Wilson.

It all depends on what you mean by defensive coverage.

They're 24th in shots against per game, averaging just over 30, (but oddly enough tied for 3rd in win% when getting outshot)

Not sure defensive coverage is what you're seeing, just less time short handed, they have been very disciplined, being one of the least penalized teams in the league

12345*

I'm going to be "that guy" and say we haven't reached the turning point yet.

I agree. But team is a lot more organized, especially in the D zone. You can see that zone exit has been a focus of coaching.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

They're 24th in shots against per game, averaging just over 30, (but oddly enough tied for 3rd in win% when getting outshot)

Not sure defensive coverage is what you're seeing, just less time short handed, they have been very disciplined, being one of the least penalized teams in the league

shots against doesn't matter if all the shots against are to the perimeter.

12345*

Shots on goal is a trivial stat. The Leafs system is slot protection and heavily collapsing. There is a lot of central ice congestion. All perimeter offense is allowable in exchange for aggression when the puck goes below the goal line and blocking point shots. All five players are usually within the hash marks if the opponents are able to establish puck control.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
....but only when Reimer is in net, not when scrivens is net, for some reason.

and of course, somehow Riemer was able to look just as good - and the leafs defense gave up just as few goals while he did - as a 22 year old rookie under Wilson's crap system.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The firing of Wilson/Burke/Allaire is the best thing that could happen to this organization. I honestly believe Connolly and Lombardi would be playing right now with Kadri-Frattin in the marlies. Reimer would still be trying to learn Allaire's style... and we would be 4-8 and everyone would be wondering whats wrong. Kadri is truly developing into a very good centre men... Maybe not an 80 point big center we all want want but a guy in the mold of Joe Pavelski. Very shifty, very creative with the puck and should be a 60 point guy. I think we would all be thrilled by this. It's early but Reimer looks like the goalie from 2 years ago.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
#1 in hits
oooohhh baby

love a physical tough team
how awesome is that when you have more than 1 person who can step it up

Leafs For Life*

The firing of Wilson/Burke/Allaire is the best thing that could happen to this organization. I honestly believe Connolly and Lombardi would be playing right now with Kadri-Frattin in the marlies. Reimer would still be trying to learn Allaire's style... and we would be 4-8 and everyone would be wondering whats wrong. Kadri is truly developing into a very good centre men... Maybe not an 80 point big center we all want want but a guy in the mold of Joe Pavelski. Very shifty, very creative with the puck and should be a 60 point guy. I think we would all be thrilled by this. It's early but Reimer looks like the goalie from 2 years ago.

No, it is not near the best thing. A GM doesn't have much effect on the performance of the players on ice. Nonis hasn't proved anything to say he is better than Burke. Wilson, ******* yes I agree, and Allaire, somewhat because he was staying to his model but the Asst. coaches were butting in, and Riemer was playing great pre-concussion. There is a lot of things that are better than firing 3 guys.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Up until the pounding on the scabs no one said boo about toughness or effort. Actually many in the media questioned it. And in one day the leafs are now apparently the flyers of the 70s. Love reactionary media outlets

Agreed. Hopefully this is actually the start to something new and they can evolve as a group and not buy their own hype and get lost like last season.

Kirkpatrick

Oct 6, 2011
Ottawa
#1 in hits
oooohhh baby

love a physical tough team
how awesome is that when you have more than 1 person who can step it up

It's impossible not to hear this in Bob Cole's voice.

Now we've just got to carry on this team toughness against some teamness with some actual toughness, and things will really be looking up.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Showing toughness and togetherness in a one-off, marquee Saturday match against the Montreal Canadiens is one thing.

It's time to make this a consistent trend now - this team needs to be hard to beat every night. Starting Monday against the Flyers.

They will need to pick and choose when to be tough and physical and mean, much like the Bruins, but they can't just go back to being a soft team.

Build off of what was found in Montreal, and go from there.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Showing toughness and togetherness in a one-off, marquee Saturday match against the Montreal Canadiens is one thing.

It's time to make this a consistent trend now - this team needs to be hard to beat every night. Starting Monday against the Flyers.

They will need to pick and choose when to be tough and physical and mean, much like the Bruins, but they can't just go back to being a soft team.

Agreed.

They need to do this most nights, if not every night, against the Habs to the Florida Panthers. That's the true test.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Well said.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
shots against doesn't matter if all the shots against are to the perimeter.

And this the one huge difference i see this year. Our team D is boxing out and keeping everything on the outside, this allows the goalies to see the shots.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
And this the one huge difference i see this year. Our team D is boxing out and keeping everything on the outside, this allows the goalies to see the shots.

They've also been better with picking up rebounds or forcing them back to the perimeter.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
When Wilson coached here you never heard the likes. This is credited to Carlyle.

Couldn't agree more. This team looks like a tight-knit group and that starts from the head coach. Haven't seen this type of us vs. the world attitude since Pat Quinn was here. Whatever the result, it's fun to watch.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I would agree. While there are some good signs, perhaps the Habs are not the benchmark.

I would hope that everyone realizes is this and is just caught up in the excitement of Saturday's game. By tonight, everyone should be back down to earth and tempering their expectations accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad