TSN: Turning Point: Team Toughness And Brotherhood

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
A video I got a came across while studying has made me proud to be a Maple Leafs fan. Fraser said it best, fight for each other and how you can look at your teammate and know he doesn't have to go through it alone and that you will fight for and with him. This is the type of toughness the team needs. From the first line and first pairing all the way down to the 4th line and 3rd pairing guys. Love being a fan of a team that even though they might lose on the scoreboard, won't get physically beaten up as in years past.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/862072/clip/320

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Love the atmosphere.

Young team sticking together, maturing, and pushing eachother to be better.

I really think the veteran influence of Orr and Fraser has helped as well

leafspring*

When Wilson coached here you never heard the likes. This is credited to Carlyle.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I've been very hesitant to throw Dallas Eakins the same amount of kudos as some Leaf brethren have been giving him, but I truly believe this whole team toughness is coming from him.

We see it with every Marlies player who comes up; they fight for eachother and don't let anyone touch our goaltender. It's being fostered into the big club, and this is one instance where I have to give Eakins a lot of credit for forcing these guys to buy into the idea.

leafspring*

Agree with this. It is going to be fun watching this team come together and mature. :D

Eakins is cut from the same cloth,but he had all the fighters on the farm,brcause Wilson didn't see the need for them.:laugh:

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Up until the pounding on the scabs no one said boo about toughness or effort. Actually many in the media questioned it. And in one day the leafs are now apparently the flyers of the 70s. Love reactionary media outlets

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Eakins is cut from the same cloth,but he had all the fighters on the farm,brcause Wilson didn't see the need for them.:laugh:

And now the team has no need of Wilson and the fighters are back.

It was nice to see Kessel in the scrums. :). I think he grew about four inches for this game. ;)

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
This is exactly the type of team Brian Burke has been putting together for the last few years.....

It's sad that MLSE didn't let him stick around long enough to get credit....

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
Up until the pounding on the scabs no one said boo about toughness or effort. Actually many in the media questioned it. And in one day the leafs are now apparently the flyers of the 70s. Love reactionary media outlets

You're right. But this is a team attempting to find their identity. A young team with a new coach.

Monday will be a good test to see if the toughness holds up.

There will be stumbles along this path but with the prospects that are coming up through the system I believe that this is the type of hockey we can expect going forward.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Turning Point: Goaltending and a 3rd line that can score.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You're right. But this is a team attempting to find their identity. A young team with a new coach.

Monday will be a good test to see if the toughness holds up.

There will be stumbles along this path but with the prospects that are coming up through the system I believe that this is the type of hockey we can expect going forward.

The Flyers aren't as tough as their reputation. Rinaldo, Sestito and Simmonds are the only ones the Leafs should worry about. We have Orr, Mclaren and Fraser to match. I think the Leafs being such a soft team the last few years has made fans think we can't go toe to toe with the toughest teams in the league. We matched Boston physically last week, no reason why Philly should be a problem. Regardless, should be a good battle.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
The Flyers aren't as tough as their reputation. Rinaldo, Sestito and Simmonds are the only ones the Leafs should worry about. We have Orr, Mclaren and Fraser to match. I think the Leafs being such a soft team the last few years has made fans think we can't go toe to toe with the toughest teams in the league. We matched Boston physically last week, no reason why Philly should be a problem. Regardless, should be a good battle.

It has more to do with the consistency of playing a physical game as a team.

They are still trying to establish their identity and the Flyers have that identity if in reputation only.

I'm hoping they can maintain the intensity.

12345*

Turning point: Systems and accountability to that system. If you don't play your role in the system, you get benched. Simple as that.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It has more to do with the consistency of playing a physical game as a team.

They are still trying to establish their identity and the Flyers have that identity if in reputation only.

I'm hoping they can maintain the intensity.

The Leafs have the most fighting majors in the NHL this season, I would say that is consistancy. Last night showed that they are more than willing to oblige if a team wants to push their buttons and take things over the edge. Like I said, this isn't Ron Wilson's small, skilled team anymore. Orr, Brown, McLaren, Fraser, Komisarek, Phaneuf, Frattin, Komorov, McClement, Kulemin and Kadri are all physical players to some degree. The Leafs shouldn't be intimidated by any team, as they are slowly gaining respect back as one of the tougher teams in the NHL.

Last edited:

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
The Leafs have the most fighting majors in the NHL this season. Last night showed that they are more than willing to oblige if a team wants to push their buttons and take things over the edge. Like I said, this isn't Ron Wilson's small, skilled team anymore. The Leafs should'nt be intimidated by any team, as they are slowly gaining respect back as one of the tougher teams in the NHL.

And I agree with you.

But the team is young so I'm expecting inconsistencies.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Just amazing what difference a coaching change makes. Carlyle has his flaws at times, but there is no denying his ability to make his players bond and play balls out for each other. I truly see the sense of brotherhood when this team plays.

God forbid, but if one of our players takes a dirty hit and gets hurt on the ice this year, I expect all hell to break loose.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Far too simple.

Team defence has been the major turning point.

If I could reduce it to anything it would be Randy Carlyle who is the "turning point".

Exhibit #1 - Leafs defense giving up the same amont of shots

12-13

SA/G: 30.2 (24th)
SV%: .915sv% (10th) ---- Starter .929, Backup .892
GA/G: 2.58 (12th)

11-12

SA/G: 30.8 (24th)
SV%: .898sv% (29th)
GA/G: 3.16 (29th)

Exhibit #2 - Leafs offense attacking just as much

12-13

GPG: 2.83 (9th)
SPG: 28.2 (19th)

11-12

GPG: 2.77 (10th)
SPG: 28.3 (21st)

Exhibit 3 - Only one goalie's save percentage has increased, not both

12-13

Reimer: .929
Scrivens: .892

11-12

Reimer: .900
Scrivens: .903

Randy's system is resulting in the same amount of shots for and against, the same amount of goals for.

the one big difference in the numbers is a huge jump in save percentage for only one, not both, of our goalies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Exhibit #1 - Leafs defense giving up the same amont of shots

12-13

SA/G: 30.2 (24th)
SV%: .915sv% (10th) ---- Starter .929, Backup .892
GA/G: 2.58 (12th)

11-12

SA/G: 30.8 (24th)
SV%: .898sv% (29th)
GA/G: 3.16 (29th)

Exhibit #2 - Leafs offense attacking just as much

12-13

GPG: 2.83 (9th)
SPG: 28.2 (19th)

11-12

GPG: 2.77 (10th)
SPG: 28.3 (21st)

Exhibit 3 - Only one goalie's save percentage has increased, not both

12-13

Reimer: .929
Scrivens: .892

11-12

Reimer: .900
Scrivens: .903

Randy's system is resulting in the same amount of shots for and against, the same amount of goals for.

the one big difference in the numbers is a huge jump in save percentage for only one, not both, of our goalies.

The Leafs may be giving up the same amount of shots as last year, but I'd rather see advanced statistics showing the amount of quality chances they've given up this year compared to last year.

I only remember the Leafs giving up one breakaway this season, and a handful of two-on-ones. Last season the Leafs would give up one breakaway and a few odd-man rushes a game, which of course led to the poor goaltending stats.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The leafs have given up a number of breakaways this year, and plenty of odd man rushes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad