Turner Stevenson

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
quat said:
Yup... fan's would watch dogs on ice for $15 a game. At least I would. heh. Anyhow, well said.

I highly doubt that. Or else many franchises down in the US would not have to resort to ticket giveaways, two for one's and sales. You might get some interest in Canada to replacement players, but you would be hard pressed to get any interest in the US.

me2 said:
LOL you are out of your tree if you think the NHL teams would charge full price for replacement players. Double LOL.

Most teams would charge $15-25 for general seating for replacement player games. The whole plan with the replacement players would be to sign them cheap, probably get a whole team for $5m-10m and have plenty of change left over. The whole point is to play hockey with the replacement players not to make massive profits. Just get the games back up and running, charge as little as you must to get the people coming back. Charging $15-25 should start getting the rinks full again.

Once the games start flowing its the players who see the fans at the rinks cheering others wearing their jerseys, who see their teams playing games while they are in the Swiss league being relative nobodies, who see their $1.3+m paycheques wafting away on the breeze. This is the time the players will really have to stop and think is it worth it to hold out, maybe I am prepared to work for less.

I don't expect the players to fold until the replacement player games start.

I think the comment you quoted was in reference to the other guy who said that Bettman was trying to get a cap so that ticket prices could be lowered. He was explaining how teams who make money are still going to be charging $100 plus dollars even if they get their 31 million dollar salary cap. Ticket prices will not be lowered, cap or no cap.

You honestly think that some of these players will come back because Johnny Nobody is wearing number 13 for the Maple Leafs or they are worried about them taking their jobs? The only NHLPA players you will see crossing the lines with replacement players or becoming replacement players are the people that you are making fun of in this thread. Not exactly the type of players Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic have to worry about. The only thing you are going to get when replacement players start being used is a marginal product and empty seats.

SENSible1*

Not exactly the type of players Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic have to worry about. The only thing you are going to get when replacement players start being used is a marginal product and empty seats.

Older established stars might decide to just retire. However, the younger stars would be much more likely to realize that they need to cross to get their share of the pie, albiet a smaller one.

Here is a simple economic fact to consider. As long as the NHL is still the highest paying league in the world, the best players will be there.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
shakes said:
I highly doubt that. Or else many franchises down in the US would not have to resort to ticket giveaways, two for one's and sales. You might get some interest in Canada to replacement players, but you would be hard pressed to get any interest in the US.

I think the comment you quoted was in reference to the other guy who said that Bettman was trying to get a cap so that ticket prices could be lowered. He was explaining how teams who make money are still going to be charging $100 plus dollars even if they get their 31 million dollar salary cap. Ticket prices will not be lowered, cap or no cap.

You honestly think that some of these players will come back because Johnny Nobody is wearing number 13 for the Maple Leafs or they are worried about them taking their jobs? The only NHLPA players you will see crossing the lines with replacement players or becoming replacement players are the people that you are making fun of in this thread. Not exactly the type of players Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic have to worry about. The only thing you are going to get when replacement players start being used is a marginal product and empty seats.

My only thought is that if Jagr was willing to go to Russia for $1MM than he was making at home, he'd probably come back to the NHL for the same or a little more.

If Sundin, Sakic or Forsberg don't want to play hockey where they still have a chance to make the most money on the planet, they can cut off their nose to spite their face. Their will be another group of stars right around the corner. I think the salaries the stars are making in Europe prove that the current players need the NHL more than the NHL needs the current players.

I realize as a Hawks fan that I'm probably WAY off base. But I would rather telling about half the team that was on the ice last year to stay in Europe (or wherever), and bring the young kids up anyway.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
shakes said:

I could see some of the more expensive markets dropping prices, Wings, Philly and TO. They be making a killing elsewhere so it won't hurt the PR to lose a few million from ticket revenues. Financially weaker teams probably won't drop prices.

They might not come back. But the low paid guys and young guys probably will. And when the low paid guys are back and making 3 to 5 times as much as the next level up guys get in Europe then those better guys will start coming back too. After that the prospects have to decide, and they'll probably opt for the NHL over Europe. This gives the NHL its next generation of stars. If a handful of stars like Pronger, Sundin, Forsberg and Sakic don't come back, we'll m'eh they've only got a few good years left anyway.

myrocketsgotcracked

shakes said:

lets assume the owners win and get their $31M cap with replacement players. that average out to be around $1.3M per player ($31M/24 players). lets assume also that the 3rd and 4th liners will be getting below average salary. that leaves approximately $12M-$15M for 2 or 3 star players, so the star players get $5M-$6M each. now if im sakic or forsberg or sundin, i wouldnt care much because i already have enough money in the bank to spend over my lifetime. but if im crosby, what would i do...? play in the most famous hockey league and earn $5-$6M annually, or play in europe for a fraction of it? now repeat this exercise with ovechkin, and brule, and maybe even kovalchuk, nash, heatley, etc. all im saying is the sakics and sundins have more to worry about then marginal players, the stars can and will be replaced if they decide not to come back.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
kremlin said:
I read the full article and this particular hockey player that nobody gives a damn about, also said that using replacement players wouldn't work, cause fans wouldn't cough up US$ 100,- to see a bunch of replacement player. My comment: of course they won't pay up to US$ 100,-, cause the ticket prices will be much lower. These silly ticket prices are only there to pay your overpaid ass. Bettman is actually trying to fix ticket prices by installing a CAP, so teams can lower their ticket prices somewhat.

This is a comment I don't really understand. Why do people think that salaries and ticket prices are linked? Do you honestly think that owners will charge less just because they don't have to pay the players as much? Take the Canucks for example: We sell out almost every game, and already make a profit. Looking at the way people think about this, since we make a profit, we should be lowering ticket prices right? If for some reason our payroll suddenly became 20 million instead of 45 ticket prices wouldn't be dropped, the owner would just take more of a profit then he does now. Plain and simple.

Scarlet Jaspar

I always see ticket prices as more supply and demand. If a team can charge a $100 a ticket and still sell out, then obviously there is little need to lower prices. By contrast, if they need something to entice more people to go to their games and get into their team. They may lose money on individuals tickets, but they could well make that up, by having more people at the games and having those people possibly spending money on concessions, souvenirs, etc.

I could see some middle of the road American teams lowering ticket prices. They probably don't have a large, loyal fanbase like in Canadian markets and the stronger American ones, so they will need something to get the fanbase back to the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad