Turner Stevenson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=103521

Some gems here:

Stevenson believes it is the owners goal to make the players suffer financially and that if they attempted to start again using replacement players, there would be trouble.

Yep, the players would be suffering pretty hard. $1.3 million a year is a terrible life, and no one should have to go through that. I'm having trouble paying off my student loans, but at least I'm not suffering financially like these guys would be.

"It's easy for them to say that. When I signed, I got a $120,000 signing bonus, everyone now is getting $750,000 or more. . . If some of these guys left the game tomorrow, no one would miss them, so their opinion is an uneducated one." - Turner Stevenson

Okay, let's vote. How many would miss Turner Stevenson if he never played another game in the league. Anyone? Come on, don't be shy... No one? Didn't think so.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
What did Turner expect to accomplish with his remarks? Tears --- that he'll have to settle for striploin this year rather than have filet mignon?

For a guy who averaged about $1.5M for the last 5 seasons being a third/fourth liner, I have no tears to shed for Turner Stevenson.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
chara said:
For a guy who averaged about $1.5M for the last 5 seasons being a third/fourth liner, I have no tears to shed for Turner Stevenson.

Ahhhh but the question is;

if he left the game tommorrow, would you miss him?

I think he figures you will....

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The worst part about all of this is that they cancelled the All-Star Game. I was really looking forward to seeing Stevenson in that this year.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Maple Leafs Forever said:
O come on guys, lay off, he has a family to feed. :joker:

Well so what, lots of people have hungry kids. You want to talk about somebody with responsibilities to atend to??/

Mike Modano, now there's a guy who takes his role as caregiver seriously!! He has this fantastic super giant "farrah fawcett hair" style poodle that does out of this world tricks. Now when Mike speaks up for the union cause, I stop and listen. I understand that those fabulous giant poodles require regular grooming, feeding, bathing and toenail clipping. And that ain't cheap. So, Mr. Turner Stevenson, don't look to me for sympathy because you have kids to feed. I already loaned the only 20 dollars I had to Modano for dog food. (note: I don't actually know the doggie's name, but I would guess it's something like Anastasia or Trixie)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Dagenais scored 17 goals last years , Stevenson never been over 14 and scored 10 or more only twice in 8 full NHL season . What a stupid overpaid baby . No one will miss you , learn 2 skate .

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
hmm mr stevenson i am not real sure how not being missed by anyone equates with an uneducated opinion
also you sort of made the other sides arguement with your signing bonus story
Seachd said:

Some gems here:

Stevenson believes it is the owners goal to make the players suffer financially and that if they attempted to start again using replacement players, there would be trouble.

Yep, the players would be suffering pretty hard. $1.3 million a year is a terrible life, and no one should have to go through that. I'm having trouble paying off my student loans, but at least I'm not suffering financially like these guys would be.

"It's easy for them to say that. When I signed, I got a $120,000 signing bonus, everyone now is getting $750,000 or more. . . If some of these guys left the game tomorrow, no one would miss them, so their opinion is an uneducated one." - Turner Stevenson

Okay, let's vote. How many would miss Turner Stevenson if he never played another game in the league. Anyone? Come on, don't be shy... No one? Didn't think so.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
hmm i havent seen modano speak up for the union cause. if you think that quote about his dogs is prounion i am not real sure about how you connected the two

Bring Back Bucky said:
Well so what, lots of people have hungry kids. You want to talk about somebody with responsibilities to atend to??/

Mike Modano, now there's a guy who takes his role as caregiver seriously!! He has this fantastic super giant "farrah fawcett hair" style poodle that does out of this world tricks. Now when Mike speaks up for the union cause, I stop and listen. I understand that those fabulous giant poodles require regular grooming, feeding, bathing and toenail clipping. And that ain't cheap. So, Mr. Turner Stevenson, don't look to me for sympathy because you have kids to feed. I already loaned the only 20 dollars I had to Modano for dog food. (note: I don't actually know the doggie's name, but I would guess it's something like Anastasia or Trixie)

BCCHL inactive

Here is the average fan's response to Stevenson's comments...

"I don't know what the owners plan on doing, if it's using (replacement) players, or what," he tells the newspaper. "But players have contracts, and that would end up in so much litigation. . . there would be so many lawyers involved it wouldn't be funny.

So where are the lawyers as NHL players take jobs away from players in European leagues?

"I don't think people will pay $100 to watch minor-league players, when they can watch a minor-league game for $15."

He's right. I wouldn't pay $100 to see minor league hockey. That being said, I wouldn't pay $100 to see NHL hockey either. Not only would I not pay it, I CANNOT pay $100 to see any hockey. I don't make enough money to afford that.

"It's easy for them to say that. When I signed, I got a $120,000 signing bonus, everyone now is getting $750,000 or more. . . If some of these guys left the game tomorrow, no one would miss them, so their opinion is an uneducated one."

Cry me a ****ing river. Once I get my promotion at my current full time job, I will need to work 50 weeks a year for 6 years, without spending a penny, to earn $120,000...and Turner is speaking in US funds to boot, while I am talking Canadian Dollars...of what Turner Stevenson considers a poor signing bonus. When I signed my job contract, my signing bonus was a job.

Speaking of my job, my company has frozen all wage increases for the duration of this lockout. In simpler terms, so you can understand it Turner...in order for my company's employees at the part-time ranks at lower salaries to keep their jobs, NOBODY in the company gets a raise until this bull**** is over with. I make $8.50/hour. If I work 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year, that makes $17,000/year. If there wasn't the currency difference, that would be $113,000 less than what you consider a poor signing bonus for a young, unproven NHL player. Of course, my salary would be more if I could have gotten my scheduled raise and promotion. If I ever get to manage a store in my company, I would start at roughly $25k/year. Have you, or any other NHLPA members considered how many jobs that are being lost in other industries who depend somewhat, if not totally on NHL games being played?

Turner, take a long look in the mirror and see who you are. I live in your hometown, and I work in a sports retail shop where we watch sports all day every day, and reading this article gave me the news that you signed with Philadelphia over the summer. If somebody were to have come to me yesterday and asked me to order a Turner Stevenson jersey, I would have ordered New Jersey Devils. The average hockey fan doesn't know who the hell you are. Nobody would miss you if you left the game tomorrow, so I guess you are just as uneducated as the other players you criticize.

Turner Stevenson, a 4th line winger, earning $4.9M over 3 years ($1.63M / season) is exactly what is wrong with the business of hockey today.

I once respected Turner Stevenson because he was a fringe player who battled day in, day out, game in, game out to keep his job, and he did just that. It culminated in a 2003 Stanley Cup ring with the Devils. These comments today almost made me puke. All the respect I once had for Turner Stevenson is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
I read the full article and this particular hockey player that nobody gives a damn about, also said that using replacement players wouldn't work, cause fans wouldn't cough up US$ 100,- to see a bunch of replacement player. My comment: of course they won't pay up to US$ 100,-, cause the ticket prices will be much lower. These silly ticket prices are only there to pay your overpaid ass. Bettman is actually trying to fix ticket prices by installing a CAP, so teams can lower their ticket prices somewhat.

Oh, and I think Stevenson has a really big mouth for someone who simply can't skate. Believe me, Stevenson will be an AHL player before he's 35

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
kremlin said:
I read the full article and this particular hockey player that nobody gives a damn about, also said that using replacement players wouldn't work, cause fans wouldn't cough up US$ 100,- to see a bunch of replacement player. My comment: of course they won't pay up to US$ 100,-, cause the ticket prices will be much lower. These silly ticket prices are only there to pay your overpaid ass. Bettman is actually trying to fix ticket prices by installing a CAP, so teams can lower their ticket prices somewhat.

Oh, and I think Stevenson has a really big mouth for someone who simply can't skate. Believe me, Stevenson will be an AHL player before he's 35

This arguement just kills me, people who think ticket prices are going to change, cap or not or replacement players or not. Teams like the Pens can't afford 20 million payrolls with thier current ticket prices how are they going to lower them. And as for arenas like Vancouver and Toronto so long as corporations own 3/4 of the seats there is no hope of ticket prices coming down, and that is if they even play with replacement players.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Seachd said:

"Stevenson believes it is the owners goal to make the players suffer financially and that if they attempted to start again using replacement players, there wouldbe trouble."

First of all with a lockout there are no players under contract so I'm not sure I see how there would be a big drawn out legal battle.

Now he's mad cause he was born a few years too early and missed out on the big signing bonuses. He's lucky he was born when he was cause in today's NHL guys with his size actually have to be able to skate to get drafted.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Van said:

So where are the lawyers as NHL players take jobs away from players in European leagues?

He's right. I wouldn't pay $100 to see minor league hockey. That being said, I wouldn't pay $100 to see NHL hockey either. Not only would I not pay it, I CANNOT pay $100 to see any hockey. I don't make enough money to afford that.

Cry me a ****ing river. Once I get my promotion at my current full time job, I will need to work 50 weeks a year for 6 years, without spending a penny, to earn $120,000...and Turner is speaking in US funds to boot, while I am talking Canadian Dollars...of what Turner Stevenson considers a poor signing bonus. When I signed my job contract, my signing bonus was a job.

Speaking of my job, my company has frozen all wage increases for the duration of this lockout. In simpler terms, so you can understand it Turner...in order for my company's employees at the part-time ranks at lower salaries to keep their jobs, NOBODY in the company gets a raise until this bull**** is over with. I make $8.50/hour. If I work 40 hours a week for 50 weeks a year, that makes $17,000/year. If there wasn't the currency difference, that would be $113,000 less than what you consider a poor signing bonus for a young, unproven NHL player. Of course, my salary would be more if I could have gotten my scheduled raise and promotion. If I ever get to manage a store in my company, I would start at roughly $25k/year. Have you, or any other NHLPA members considered how many jobs that are being lost in other industries who depend somewhat, if not totally on NHL games being played?

Turner, take a long look in the mirror and see who you are. I live in your hometown, and I work in a sports retail shop where we watch sports all day every day, and reading this article gave me the news that you signed with Philadelphia over the summer. If somebody were to have come to me yesterday and asked me to order a Turner Stevenson jersey, I would have ordered New Jersey Devils. The average hockey fan doesn't know who the hell you are. Nobody would miss you if you left the game tomorrow, so I guess you are just as uneducated as the other players you criticize.

Turner Stevenson, a 4th line winger, earning $4.9M over 3 years ($1.63M / season) is exactly what is wrong with the business of hockey today.

I once respected Turner Stevenson because he was a fringe player who battled day in, day out, game in, game out to keep his job, and he did just that. It culminated in a 2003 Stanley Cup ring with the Devils. These comments today almost made me puke. All the respect I once had for Turner Stevenson is gone.

You only make 8.50/hour Van? What's going on??? Are you a student? I make twice that much in WINNIPEG. Thats right, the city you bashed so much until you ran out of negative things to say about it. We also have the lowest unemployment rate, and were voted (along with Charlettetown, PEI and Moncton, NB) the most affordable city in Canada.

So what are you waiting for? Get out of Prince George. There is no future for you there. Come to Winnipeg, where the jobs are many, and the manufacturing sector reigns! :yo:

BCCHL inactive

Jets4Life said:
You only make 8.50/hour Van? What's going on??? Are you a student? I make twice that much in WINNIPEG. Thats right, the city you bashed so much until you ran out of negative things to say about it. We also have the lowest unemployment rate, and were voted (along with Charlettetown, PEI and Moncton, NB) the most affordable city in Canada.

So what are you waiting for? Get out of Prince George. There is no future for you there. Come to Winnipeg, where the jobs are many, and the manufacturing sector reigns! :yo:

Considering I'm only 20 years old and all I have is a high school diploma, I'm doing well after only being with my company for roughly a year.

I'll politely ignore your attempted troll about me bashing Winnipeg.

I could probably get a job at a mill here, but I simply have no desire for that kind of work. I'm happy where I am, and with the good future possibility of getting promoted within the company.

Munchausen

Van said:
When I signed my job contract, my signing bonus was a job.

:handclap:

Some of those crybabies are definitelly disconnected from reality, there's no disputing that, Stevenson is just one example among so many.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
whoa, Turner Stevenson isnt on Montreal anymore? ;-)
Van said:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
vanlady said:
This arguement just kills me, people who think ticket prices are going to change, cap or not or replacement players or not. Teams like the Pens can't afford 20 million payrolls with thier current ticket prices how are they going to lower them. And as for arenas like Vancouver and Toronto so long as corporations own 3/4 of the seats there is no hope of ticket prices coming down, and that is if they even play with replacement players.

LOL you are out of your tree if you think the NHL teams would charge full price for replacement players. Double LOL.

Most teams would charge $15-25 for general seating for replacement player games. The whole plan with the replacement players would be to sign them cheap, probably get a whole team for $5m-10m and have plenty of change left over. The whole point is to play hockey with the replacement players not to make massive profits. Just get the games back up and running, charge as little as you must to get the people coming back. Charging $15-25 should start getting the rinks full again.

Once the games start flowing its the players who see the fans at the rinks cheering others wearing their jerseys, who see their teams playing games while they are in the Swiss league being relative nobodies, who see their $1.3+m paycheques wafting away on the breeze. This is the time the players will really have to stop and think is it worth it to hold out, maybe I am prepared to work for less.

I don't expect the players to fold until the replacement player games start.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
me2 said:
LOL you are out of your tree if you think the NHL teams would charge full price for replacement players. Double LOL.

Most teams would charge $15-25 for general seating for replacement player games. The whole plan with the replacement players would be to sign them cheap, probably get a whole team for $5m-10m and have plenty of change left over. The whole point is to play hockey with the replacement players not to make massive profits. Just get the games back up and running, charge as little as you must to get the people coming back. Charging $15-25 should start getting the rinks full again.

Once the games start flowing its the players who see the fans at the rinks cheering others wearing their jerseys, who see their teams playing games while they are in the Swiss league being relative nobodies, who see their $1.3+m paycheques wafting away on the breeze. This is the time the players will really have to stop and think is it worth it to hold out, maybe I am prepared to work for less.

I don't expect the players to fold until the replacement player games start.

Yup... fan's would watch dogs on ice for $15 a game. At least I would. heh. Anyhow, well said.

I.am.ca

Who's Turner Stevenson? i think he pumped my gas today at Esso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->