Turn out the lights, the party's over

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
The funny thing is they probably wouldn't have won the SE or even made the playoffs. It's hard to say for sure because the schedule would have been different but TB has 10 more points, and a Caps playoff spot stolen via points against crappy SE teams MIGHT have helped the Caps squeak into that 8th spot.

Realignment may have been the death knell for GMGM, as predicted.

The trend has been in place since the Prez Trophy. Regular season is about individual stats and survival. Coast as long as possible then try real hard at the end because dynasty/talent. Push the Slack Line farther every year. Eventually fail.

This team has not learned how to turn "would like to but still rich" into "HAVE TO OR I WILL DIE IN FLAMES". A coach and GM who get that are required, unless they're counting on "Puck Luck" to hang on a banner in the rafters one day.

One thing: it predates the Prez Trophy (see Ron Wilson's last few years).

BUT... I do agree 100%: the SouthLEAST div and its easy opponents lead to complacency. Best thing that ever happened to the Caps was the realignment, most just don't know it yet.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
What evidence do I have? Read the 2nd line of your very own post. ;)

Wait...so because Ted has shown he spends money in the past it means that this year he will skimp on the GM?

I'm not sure I follow. Did I take something wrong here? Are you agreeing that he will indeed spend on the GM or are you saying he will penny pinch?

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Wait...so because Ted has shown he spends money in the past it means that this year he will skimp on the GM?

I'm not sure I follow. Did I take something wrong here? Are you agreeing that he will indeed spend on the GM or are you saying he will penny pinch?

You're factually incorrect.

In Ted's very first news conference after buying the team, he told us "the checkbook is open so we can improve."

30 days later, he edited what he said, and told us that upon further study, spending would be done, but in a controlled fashion.

Yes, we saw spending.

BUT... always in reaction, never proaction.

As someone said: lead, follow, or get outta the way. Ted and George followed those in the league.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...apitals-eliminated-from-stanley-cup-playoffs/

Case in point:

Only 4 teams with as many or more consecutive playoff appearances. Hardly a mention from the media when it ends.

We're on an island here. This is not the nations hockey capital no matter what the salesman with the microphone says. The only press this is going to get is from media vultures when the firings start, and even then the anti-Russian brigade is sure to also stir up "Ovechkin is a coach-killer" talk again.

I agree and the fury will be more so with Milbury etc. I fully expect them to start stuff like Ovy doing a Kovalchuk this summer. This team has never been the nation's hockey capital and never will be. I always find it amusing when I hear those comments, especially when I remember the days of all those empty seats. The only way to silence those critics is win.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

In Ted's very first news conference after buying the team, he told us "the checkbook is open so we can improve."

30 days later, he edited what he said, and told us that upon further study, spending would be done, but in a controlled fashion.

Yes, we saw spending.

As someone said: lead, follow, or get outta the way. Ted and George followed those in the league.

Even today when I hear "We're keeping the powder dry", I get sick.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
No chance he penny pinches now.

Get yourself a copy of Jim Bouton's 1969 epic "Ball Four".

In it, Bouton gives us the North Star: sports are a business. And a business is run with a tight belt.

Why change, when the majority of your fans view it as a successful season. Why? Because AO got 50 goals. That's what the novice takes away from this season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
One thing: it predates the Prez Trophy (see Ron Wilson's last few years).

BUT... I do agree 100%: the SouthLEAST div and its easy opponents lead to complacency. Best thing that ever happened to the Caps was the realignment, most just don't know it yet.

this x1 million

and not only complacency, but also the illusion of strength.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Get yourself a copy of Jim Bouton's 1969 epic "Ball Four".

In it, Bouton gives us the North Star: sports are a business. And a business is run with a tight belt.

Why change, when the majority of your fans view it as a successful season. Why? Because AO got 50 goals. That's what the novice takes away from this season.

Uncle Ted just doesn't strike me as an overly frugal person. I am hopeful that he is now looking at how the team has been run in the past and has/is doing a self evaluation. The fact that there was a recent rumor of someone (Nicholson) interviewing for the President job leads my thought process here.

IF he has learned from running the club more like a business, as it has been done in the past, vs. like a hockey club, there could be positive changes made that I think he will spend money on to go in that direction.

Look at the front office of the team as a whole. Business people. Above GMGM it's all business people not hockey people. The issue is he HAS been running it solely as a business and while there has been some success there has also been bitter disappointment year in and year out. Ted wants to win. Now if he structures the organization with the right folks who have the required experience there is a chance to change the outcome of this club. I think he will pay for that.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Suggesting they'll pinch pennies on the top 1 or 2 hockey positions in the organization is frightening, but I see nothing to suggest that's accurate. They've shown they're willing to spend on players. Why try to save a few bucks for arguably the most important guy in your management structure, the guy with the vision of how to build a winner?

If that happens, we should all get used to missing the playoffs.

I can't imagine Leonsis is doing anything other than looking for the best replacement regardless of cost. IF he's looking at all.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Yes, we saw spending.

I thought Ted made the checkbook open comment prior to the offseason where we acquired Jagr??

Thats when GMGM tried to sign Roenick (and then Turgeon) and he had secretly worked something out with the Flyers. GMGM was "indignant" if I recall.

I still don't follow you. You implied that Ted will skimp on the GM and hire them on the cheap. I'm not following your logic there.

For the past 7 years we have spent to the cap maximum and we hired a rookie coach and gave him serious $$$ comparatively speaking.

You think he will go cheap on the GM? Honestly?

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Uncle Ted just doesn't strike me as an overly frugal person. I am hopeful that he is now looking at how the team has been run in the past and has/is doing a self evaluation. The fact that there was a recent rumor of someone (Nicholson) interviewing for the President job leads my thought process here.

IF he has learned from running the club more like a business, as it has been done in the past, vs. like a hockey club, there could be positive changes made that I think he will spend money on to go in that direction.

Look at the front office of the team as a whole. Business people. Above GMGM it's all business people not hockey people. The issue is he HAS been running it solely as a business and while there has been some success there has also been bitter disappointment year in and year out. Ted wants to win. Now if he structures the organization with the right folks who have the required experience there is a chance to change the outcome of this club. I think he will pay for that.

Remember, this is my prediction. I certainly could be wrong, and will admit it if I am.

I hear Bouton's words in my head. He tells us how he grew up "thinking that baseball owners were like boys who just wanted to hang around the locker room, and were willing to shell out the big bucks in order to do it".

He was shocked when the Yankees management fought with him 'tooth and nail' over small amounts when his contract came up.

We saw this same thing here when Chris Simon wanted a raise, and held out (after his career year). McPhee told us that the Simon wanted an outrageous increase in salary, and he and Ted would not agree to such an increase.

After Simon missed camp, GMGM gave in and gave Simon his outrageous raise; it turned out to be a mere $150k separated the teams offer from what Simon wanted.

An out of shape Simon was promptly inserted into the Caps lineup (he missed the entire pre-season and was not given time to train before they put him in the lineup), and promptly injured his shoulder, requiring surgery. He was never the same player again.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Remember, this is my prediction. I certainly could be wrong, and will admit it if I am.

I hear Bouton's words in my head. He tells us how he grew up "thinking that baseball owners were like boys who just wanted to hang around the locker room, and were willing to shell out the big bucks in order to do it".

He was shocked when the Yankees management fought with him 'tooth and nail' over small amounts when his contract came up.

We saw this same thing here when Chris Simon wanted a raise, and held out (after his career year). McPhee told us that the Simon wanted an outrageous increase in salary, and he and Ted would not agree to such an increase.

After Simon missed camp, GMGM gave in and gave Simon his outrageous raise; it turned out to be a mere $150k separated the teams offer from what Simon wanted.

An out of shape Simon was promptly inserted into the Caps lineup (he missed the entire pre-season and was not given time to train before they put him in the lineup), and promptly injured his shoulder, requiring surgery. He was never the same player again.

Well FWIW I hope you are wrong. No offense but they cannot afford to be fugal now. In for a penny, in for a pound.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
I thought Ted made the checkbook open comment prior to the offseason where we acquired Jagr??

Thats when GMGM tried to sign Roenick (and then Turgeon) and he had secretly worked something out with the Flyers. GMGM was "indignant" if I recall.

I still don't follow you. You implied that Ted will skimp on the GM and hire them on the cheap. I'm not following your logic there.

For the past 7 years we have spent to the cap maximum and we hired a rookie coach and gave him serious $$$ comparatively speaking.

Yes, Ted did do that. But the exception does not prove/disprove the rule.

In fact, Ted would probably cite this as one of his reasons he's staying the course and 'keeping the powder dry'.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Well FWIW I hope you are wrong. No offense but they cannot afford to be fugal now. In for a penny, in for a pound.[/

Love that saying, good work sir!

And yes, I'd love to be incorrect on this, but Ted may not see this as being frugal: rather, he'll see it as staying the course.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yes, Ted did do that. But the exception does not prove/disprove the rule.

In fact, Ted would probably cite this as one of his reasons he's staying the course and 'keeping the powder dry'.

We'll see I guess.

I think exactly the opposite. I think he has seen enough and will want both a proven GM and a proven coach and will spend whatever it takes to get them in place.

This is a critical juncture for the franchise and he needs to make a bold statement.

We've sold out a million games in a row and have an insane STH base. We are hosting the Winter Classic. Ovechkin is getting past his prime.

All signs point to doing whatever it will take to make good things happen IMO

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

This is when I turned on GMGM. I actually supported him prior to the 2001 UFA. If he lands the job in Calgary or somewhere else in the NHL, I am curious to see how he does with no limits and ownership meddling.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
This is when I turned on GMGM. I actually supported him prior to the 2001 UFA. If he lands the job in Calgary or somewhere else in the NHL, I am curious to see how he does with no limits and ownership meddling.

GMGM always worked under a code. Under a certain ethical standard. I respect him for that.

For instance:

You don't dress a bunch of goons in a preseason game and have them attack a bunch of young kids trying to show their wares at the NHL level. I liked that GMGM punched that idiot.

The rules are that you aren't supposed to talk to UFAs prior to some period of time. GMGM adhered to them. Stupid and naive? Perhaps. But he followed the rules.

The salary cap is in place and GMGM has always done a good job using it fairly wisely. Its a shame that the new CBA enabled and rewarded foolish teams like the Flyers and Rangers by letting them get rid of mistakes like Bryzgalov and Redden types. In effect it penalized GMGM and the Caps for playing by the rules.

He was a stand up player and he is a stand up guy. Have to respect him for that on some level.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
We'll see I guess.

I think exactly the opposite. I think he has seen enough and will want both a proven GM and a proven coach and will spend whatever it takes to get them in place.

This is a critical juncture for the franchise and he needs to make a bold statement.

We've sold out a million games in a row and have an insane STH base. We are hosting the Winter Classic. Ovechkin is getting past his prime.

All signs point to doing whatever it will take to make good things happen IMO

Yes, time will tell. But I think 2 things that were said here are OUR North Star as to Capdom:

1- the longer this plays out, the less likely we are to see any changes.

2- GMGM's affect on the team will outlive him for many years.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I can't imagine Leonsis is doing anything other than looking for the best replacement regardless of cost. IF he's looking at all.

Uncle Teddy is no dummy. He can't pinch pennies now. All the "Rock the Red" and "America's Hockey Capital" crap will go down the toilets. He needs to do all he can to get the best people from top to bottom to maintain the positives that have been built up with the organization to this point. If not then there are less red wearing Caps fans in the stands and he is stuck with OV and Nicky's salary for forever.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yes, time will tell. But I think 2 things that were said here are OUR North Star as to Capdom:

1- the longer this plays out, the less likely we are to see any changes.

2- GMGM's affect on the team will outlive him for many years.

1- We'll see the changes within a week of seasons end. The die has been cast and its just a matter of days.

2- This can be a good effect tho!!! Burakovsky, Bowey, Barber, Carrick, Grubauer, Kuznetsov, Orlov and pretty much the bulk of the roster that he drafted. We have a lot of promising young players here.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
this x1 million

and not only complacency, but also the illusion of strength.
Tampa and Carolina must not have gotten the memo they were in a weak division when they won it all. I don't think being in that division had anything to do with our golden age ending without postseason success. IMHO it falls squarely on the shoulders of limited coaches (at the time; now whether BB has improved or not time will tell) and a GM who would have served us better as a talent evaluator alone rather than a team architect.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
GMGM always worked under a code. Under a certain ethical standard. I respect him for that.

For instance:

You don't dress a bunch of goons in a preseason game and have them attack a bunch of young kids trying to show their wares at the NHL level. I liked that GMGM punched that idiot.

The rules are that you aren't supposed to talk to UFAs prior to some period of time. GMGM adhered to them. Stupid and naive? Perhaps. But he followed the rules.

The salary cap is in place and GMGM has always done a good job using it fairly wisely. Its a shame that the new CBA enabled and rewarded foolish teams like the Flyers and Rangers by letting them get rid of mistakes like Bryzgalov and Redden types. In effect it penalized GMGM and the Caps for playing by the rules.

He was a stand up player and he is a stand up guy. Have to respect him for that on some level.

Oh I have some good memories and even got email from him once in 2000. The thing that bothered me most is not learning from prior mistakes like with defense. The preseason game with Chicago and the draft a few years ago in Pittsburgh will always stick out to me. I'll say this, he is good with the bargain bin, thrift store players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad