GDT: Tuesday vs. Montreal: Oct 28. Where's Johnny #4!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just heard on the radio this morning that Gaudreau is 2nd or 3rd in the league at take aways, so yeah he can play defense. Johnny was our best forward last night, it was pretty obvious. I really hope Stajan is okay, that looked really bad. They are not sure what is wrong with Colborne, while he got hit in the head, they were saying the trainers were checking out his wrist.

The Flames totally should of won last night, but Price was in beast mode. That guy is just incredible, Habs are a legit contender just because of that guy.

EDIT: To add, competition is a good thing. Jones looked like a guy playing for his job last night. That was probably his best game as a Flame, he was very noticeable on the ice and in a good way. I'd love it if we could get that from him every night, problem is he is always injured.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just heard on the radio this morning that Gaudreau is 2nd or 3rd in the league at take aways, so yeah he can play defense. Johnny was our best forward last night, it was pretty obvious. I really hope Stajan is okay, that looked really bad. They are not sure what is wrong with Colborne, while he got hit in the head, they were saying the trainers were checking out his wrist.

The Flames totally should of won last night, but Price was in beast mode. That guy is just incredible, Habs are a legit contender just because of that guy.

EDIT: To add, competition is a good thing. Jones looked like a guy playing for his job last night. That was probably his best game as a Flame, he was very noticeable on the ice and in a good way. I'd love it if we could get that from him every night, problem is he is always injured.
Jones went after Tinordi for the knee on Stajan too, which I loved seeing. The guy is a good teammate, big body who skates well and plays physical. He has alot of attributes we really need, I think if he can stay healthy fans that can see past the 0s on his pay cheque will be quite pleased with him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Jones went after Tinordi for the knee on Stajan too, which I loved seeing. The guy is a good teammate, big body who skates well and plays physical. He has alot of attributes we really need, I think if he can stay healthy fans that can see past the 0s on his pay cheque will be quite pleased with him.

I will admit that I was very low on Jones and even wanted him bought out in the offseason. However, I loved what I saw last night. If he plays that gritty every game, I won't care how much he is getting paid.

Have you guys noticed that all of our players are sticking up for each other? When Pacioretty put the puck in the net after the play was over, TJ was the first one going at him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I agree, he looked fantastic and had several scoring chances. He obviously knows the Flames love Jooris and he was playing his tail off.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Great game to watch, very entertaining. No shame in losing to a world class goalie like Price.

Loved Gaudreau's game. He's gaining confidence and getting better with every shift.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Great game to watch, very entertaining. No shame in losing to a world class goalie like Price.

Loved Gaudreau's game. He's gaining confidence and getting better with every shift.

The shame is all on the Habs for the way they stunk it up. We didnt desrve the points in the least, but well take them.

I almost feel like we should apologise...:blush:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The shame is all on the Habs for the way they stunk it up. We didnt desrve the points in the least, but well take them.

I almost feel like we should apologise...:blush:

If the same thing happens on Monday, you can apologize then.

Until then, our silver lining is a better draft pick. :)

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
If the same thing happens on Monday, you can apologize then.

Until then, our silver lining is a better draft pick. :)

I dont know....I saw so much more potential with your team than just having to settle for a better draft picks.

I know the Habs had a bad game, but sometime good teams find a way to make just as good teams look bad. Your teams work ethic was just off the charts...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Not gonna scroll back through the thread but for the first two periods Gaudreau was always on the ice with Smid and Engelland. Drove me nuts because the play died every time he passed it back to them

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Gaudreau continues to impress me every time I see him out there - there were a few times he went into the corners with only two large Habs hunting him down and I cringed picturing impending destruction only for him to circle around between them, popping out unscathed to one side and still with the puck in about half the cases. I hope even as he adds strength he still keeps that slippery style and doesn't move towards the more normal absorb and try to push through that most other forwards seem to do in a similar situation.

Hiller was unbelievably calm, was impressed to no end at how he kept that 2 on 0 out of the net by standing his ground and waiting for the Hab to make the mistake when he didn't flinch.

That was probably one of the most exciting Flames games I've seen in awhile, even if it meant there was a lack of breathing for a few offensive stretches where we were circling like mad and when they were doing likewise a few minutes later. It will be interesting to see where the tipping point is for this being not just a high end performance for us, but more of a regular ability to be a top team - I think that comes when we can start minimizing some of those stretches of 2-3 minutes where it looked like the Habs in our zone were on the PP when it was 5 on 5.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gaudreau continues to impress me every time I see him out there - there were a few times he went into the corners with only two large Habs hunting him down and I cringed picturing impending destruction only for him to circle around between them, popping out unscathed to one side and still with the puck in about half the cases. I hope even as he adds strength he still keeps that slippery style and doesn't move towards the more normal absorb and try to push through that most other forwards seem to do in a similar situation.

Hiller was unbelievably calm, was impressed to no end at how he kept that 2 on 0 out of the net by standing his ground and waiting for the Hab to make the mistake when he didn't flinch.

That was probably one of the most exciting Flames games I've seen in awhile, even if it meant there was a lack of breathing for a few offensive stretches where we were circling like mad and when they were doing likewise a few minutes later. It will be interesting to see where the tipping point is for this being not just a high end performance for us, but more of a regular ability to be a top team - I think that comes when we can start minimizing some of those stretches of 2-3 minutes where it looked like the Habs in our zone were on the PP when it was 5 on 5.

Those stretches you are talking about were almost always Subban. That guy is amazing. Honestly, I feel like Subban in the offensive end is essentially able to do what the Sedins do, but single-handedly. You have to defend him, but you can't go after the puck too hard or he'll burn you. You just have to wait and hope that it doesn't end up as a goal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I forgot to mention at all last night how good Backlund is. He's not putting up points, but he makes so many good plays throughout the game. Just smart little manoeuvres in all three zones. If he stays here long enough to get to play with some stud wingers, I think he will end up being a real force.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gaudreau was amazing last night. He had me and my buddies oohing and ahhing all night. Just too bad Price was in god mode.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I forgot to mention at all last night how good Backlund is. He's not putting up points, but he makes so many good plays throughout the game. Just smart little manoeuvres in all three zones. If he stays here long enough to get to play with some stud wingers, I think he will end up being a real force.

I agree, Backlund does so many things that the average will never notice. He is so impressive. I think he will either be an elite 3C, or an excellent 2C depending on what happens with our situation here in Calgary. He is a stud player though points or not.

Also, welcome to our board Vkonroy! :handclap:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Habs will go downhill if Price gets injured. He was literally the only reason why we lost. I sure wished that his skate blade didn't touch the puck, he was totally beat by Johnny.

I may hate shootouts, but I love our top 3 of Colborne, Hudler and Gaudreau. I like Monahan as our #4.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Once Gaudreau gets comfortable, Backlund and him could be a magnificent duo.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames are using Diaz as a forward at practice this morning. Would imagine he's a placeholder for a recall in the next few days.

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg · 3h 3 hours ago
Jonas Hiller will start for the #Flames on Friday.

Looks like the goalie rotation is over, for now anyway.

And as unlikely as it is, I hope they call up Baertschi. He could use the confidence boost.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Stajan is out for 1 month + (which I would imagine he will), I too am fine with Baertschi being called up.

I do however would like to see Ferland or Granlund, they've certainly earned it more than Sven. But, I could see management calling up Baertschi to see if he can get some confidence back in the league that he wants to play in. 3rd line LW minutes in the NHL might do the trick.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
#Flames are using Diaz as a forward at practice this morning. Would imagine he's a placeholder for a recall in the next few days.

And as unlikely as it is, I hope they call up Baertschi. He could use the confidence boost.

Interesting. Would have assumed Setoguchi. Speaks about how the coaches view him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I also forgot to mention that I am a bit puzzled that Engelland isn't being played as the forward. He's done it before, has Diaz?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I also forgot to mention that I am a bit puzzled that Engelland isn't being played as the forward. He's done it before, has Diaz?

Diaz is there as a placeholder. No reason to move Engelland from the spot he's going to be playing in. Also perfectly reasonable that they haven't recalled anyone yet, because Adirondack has a game tonight while the Flames don't play until Friday.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Looks like the goalie rotation principle is over.
That from now on, who plays well, stays in the net.

here you have it in french on a Swiss site. Don't know the Canadian source.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad