Post-Game Talk: Tue., Oct. 8, 2013|Panthers 1 at Flyers 2

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Richards fought a one-man war. So did Bryz. If they present a unified front and back each other up it will be fine.

LOL..what is going on here? Now the Flyers should be engaging in Jihad against the media...:laugh:

Wow this has taken a turn for the worst....

Anyway, I challenge anyone on here to find some legit literature citing Tips for Effectively Dealing With the Media where telling a reporter to essentially screw off is the ideal approach to handling them especially when it is part of your duty to address the media as the professional and classy organization you profess to be....??

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
This is true, but the media is particularly more vindictive, whiny, and spiteful in Philly than it is anywhere else. The media in the TOR or MTL still ultimately want the Leafs and Habs to win.

The media in Philly couldn't care less, and probably wants to see the team implode just for the headlines.

EDIT: They're also more ignorant than any other media in the league. Not really up for debate on that.

The situation isn't really unique to the Philly market.

Media in Canadian markets like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have been known for their idiot reporters, too, and have been accused often of enjoying their team's struggles.

They're there to get a story that attracts readers/viewers so, in this day and age, the more controversial/assinine the story the better.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I disagreed with this before the season started.

The powerplay looks terrible right now, though, and I think swapping Kimmo and Streit would be a good place to start in an attempt to turn things around.

Kimmo's still a great quarterback, but he's no longer trustworthy as the last guy back on the powerplay if the puck's turned over. Three penalties in four games cannot be overlooked... might have to replace 'Knubled' with 'Kimmo'd'...

We were actually lucky he was so far behind the play last night. Last season he gave away two penalty shots by hooking players who were going in on breakaways, and would have conceded a third against the Rangers except Nash managed to score anyway.

And it's a really stupid penalty to take because your goalie is more likely to stop a guy on a breakaway than he is to stop a penalty shot where the shooter can plan his move and take as much as time as he needs with no defensive pressure at all.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The situation isn't really unique to the Philly market.

Media in Canadian markets like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have been known for their idiot reporters, too, and have been accused often of enjoying their team's struggles.

They're there to get a story that attracts readers/viewers so, in this day and age, the more controversial/assinine the story the better.

I agree, and admit I misspoke. Journalists in large markets tend to wish for controversy.

However, Philly does have a special mix of ignorance and spitefulness that makes it particularly difficult to deal with. It's one thing to deal with a horde of spiteful dicks; it's another to deal with a horde of spiteful dicks who know little to nothing about the game of hockey.

I'm not saying journalists in Canada are experts on the game all around, but in Philly, there is certainly a lot more ignorance.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We were actually lucky he was so far behind the play last night. Last season he gave away two penalty shots by hooking players who were going in on breakaways, and would have conceded a third against the Rangers except Nash managed to score anyway.

And it's a really stupid penalty to take because your goalie is more likely to stop a guy on a breakaway than he is to stop a penalty shot where the shooter can plan his move and take as much as time as he needs with no defensive pressure at all.

Unless the shooter is automatic like Giroux. I can't remember him missing on a breakaway.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
LOL..what is going on here? Now the Flyers should be engaging in Jihad against the media...:laugh:

Wow this has taken a turn for the worst....

Anyway, I challenge anyone on here to find some legit literature citing Tips for Effectively Dealing With the Media where telling a reporter to essentially screw off is the ideal approach to handling them especially when it is part of your duty to address the media as the professional and classy organization you profess to be....??

I imagine the manual for effective sports journalism involves not spreading unprovable rumors, presenting them as fact because someone totally told you they know a guy who saw something while he was drunk, and then alienating the players you're supposed to be interviewing so you can do a decent job.

When someone is trashing you in the media, you can stand up for yourself. It's OK.

I don't understand why you think the media, who are generally terrible and incorrect on most topics, got this one topic correct.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't understand why you think the media, who are generally terrible and incorrect on most topics, got this one topic correct.

I didn't say they are ALWAYS correct...but there are some very good investigative journalists out there..not necessarily in the sport world but they exist too.

Again my argument is how to effectively deal with them if you think they are harming you legitimately or not. I don't think engaging them the way Berube did or Hartnell has been doing is very effective at all...but that is my take as I've tried to express.

Seriously what really makes all this media tit for tat especially annoying to me is that the Flyers need to get their own house in order and shouldn't be getting distracted by outside influences like this to this level.

Remember when Bryz was tweeting in the media and sucking on the ice and Reese said he needed to concentrate on hockey? This is kind of the same thing...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I could get behind what the guy is saying if his delivery wasn't of a teenager.

I don't feel like he's leading some crusade against Snider & Co. for the good of the people. He's just trying be that guy know for causing a bunch of **** straight out the Larry Brooks school of journalism. Two days on the job he went in guns blazing.

I'm all for criticism but if this is literally going to be all the guys writes about he's going to lose credibility with me. Metzler is critical of the Flyers at times but does it in a respectable manner, he also gives credit where it's due.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bill Meltzer's reply to the claim that Berube saying "get lost" was unprofessional:

Except for the fact that the guy was standing there smirking at him as Berube made the quip and was making direct eye contact. That's when Berube added the "dumb question... get lost!" The reporter then called additional attention to himself by leaving the room saying "Excuse me, I'm getting lost." in stage whisper tone.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bill Meltzer's reply to the claim that Berube saying "get lost" was unprofessional:

In that case Berube should have charged him....:laugh:

But seriously..still two wrongs don't make a right. I stand by my statements...

What is the rest of the context of Bill's response? Was it an email response?

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I could get behind what the guy is saying if his delivery wasn't of a teenager.

I don't feel like he's leading some crusade against Snider & Co. for the good of the people. He's just trying be that guy know for causing a bunch of **** straight out the Larry Brooks school of journalism. Two days on the job he went in guns blazing.

I'm all for criticism but if this is literally going to be all the guys writes about he's going to lose credibility with me. Metzler is critical of the Flyers at times but does it in a respectable manner, he also gives credit where it's due.

There's a difference between not liking his delivery or character and agreeing with his criticism.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's a difference between not liking his delivery or character and agreeing with his criticism.

Yeah but it's hard to take a guy serious when he clearly has an agenda. His whole twitter feed is *****ing about the same stuff & same people. It's going to get old real quick if this is all he's going to stick to.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Obviously it's extremely early but in the event we make the playoffs I think we have our theme. "Spanking"
Circus theme would be funny since that is what this team has been the last 3 years.
Bryz as a bear trainer
Snider as a clown
Holmgren walking a tight rope

The possibilities are endless.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
I really think most of the philly media does more harm than good. How many reporters actually do a good job and don't try and start **** in the locker room just so they can have a story?

Bill Meltzer is one of the good guys, and I think Sara B isn't bad either, I don't recall her trying to start crap or asking dumb questions.

So I say good on chief for showing that that BS ends with him, he won't put up with it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is a good review by Bill Meltzer regarding a situational moment in the game. It is worthy of a read...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=54691#.UlcvpSTD_IV

REFS GOT IT RIGHT

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of speaking by phone and communicating by email respectively with a pair of longtime NHL referees, Paul Stewart and Kerry Fraser. I asked both about the situation in Tuesday's game in which referees Kelly Sutherland and Darcy Burchell gave Craig Berube the choice between a four-minute five-on-four penalty and a two minute five-on-three.

Both men confirmed that the situation had been handled correctly, according to the rulebook.

In case you didn't see the game, here's what happened: Philadelphia's Jay Rosehill was called for a delayed-penalty roughing minor behind the play. The Flyers touched up for the stoppage and Rosehill started to skate toward the penalty box. As he did, a fracas ensued at centre ice. Rosehill saw it, left the box and jumped into the scrum.

After Sutherland and Burchell conferred with each other, they skated over to Flyers' head coach Craig Berube. According to Berube, he was given a choice between a four-minute 5-on-4 or a two-minute 5-on-3. Rosehill also got a 10-minute misconduct in addition to a pair of separate roughing minors -- one before the whistle and one after the whistle -- and there were offsetting minors to Philly's Zac Rinaldo and Florida's Tomas Kopecky.

Fraser, who was kind enough to respond at length to my email within an hour and then used our correspondence as a rule-teaching topic in his "C'Mon Ref" column at TSN.ca, told me that he had this situation happen more than once in his own refereeing career.

According to the NHL rulebook, when there are multiple but uneven minor penalties assessed to both teams for after-the-whistle infractions following a previous delayed penalty, the coach of the team with the extra penalties gets to decide which penalties he wants to be treated as offsetting penalties.

Since Rosehill took a penalty before the whistle, the Flyers were already going be shorthanded 5-on-4 for two minutes. When the after-the-whistle fracas developed, Berube had the choice of either:

a) having Rinaldo and Kopecky penalties offset (with no additional change in manpower) and Rosehill's second minor penalty being tacked onto the first for four minutes of 5-on-4 shorthanded time, or

b) having the Kopecky and second Rosehill penalties offset and having Rinaldo's minor served as the extra penalty, which would have meant Rinaldo and Rosehill concurrently serving two-minute minors and the Panthers playing 5-on-3 for that span.

Berube, of course, chose the first option. The odds killing off four minutes (or even five minutes, as the Panthers later did) of 5-on-4 time are significantly better than surviving a 5-on-3 unscathed for two minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad