Post-Game Talk: Tue., Oct. 8, 2013|Panthers 1 at Flyers 2

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Um, what? You don't need street cred to be dismissive with stupid questions. You could be the worst coach in the world, and there would be no problem being so blunt with the clowns in the Philly media.

That is fine from your POV and others...it just rubbed me the wrong way. I would have preferred he just been more professional about it and not play into the reporter. I'm just sick of the sparring matches with the press ...it's a big distraction and I hope it doesn't snowball.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
That is fine from your POV and others...it just rubbed me the wrong way. I would have preferred he just been more professional about it and not play into the reporter. I'm just sick of the sparring matches with the press ...it's a big distraction and I hope it doesn't snowball.

I look at it like this. Like the press are obsessed with complaining about players and coaches, people here are obsessed with complaining about the press.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I look at it like this. Like the press are obsessed with complaining about players and coaches, people here are obsessed with complaining about the press.

Agreed. The press is not the reason we're 1-3 and it's not the reason why Bryz was a head case lazy goalie.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

There are no differing POVs here. The press asked a stupid question; Berube responded with an assertive answer. Nothing unprofessional about that except for the idiocy of the reporter. You don't need to have a lengthy career behind the bench to put the media in their place.

There will always be sparring matches with the press for as long as they continue their history of being ignorant and unprofessional morons. You don't deal with that by cowering and letting it slide; you make it clear that a reporter will be opening himself up to humiliation by being an arrogant jackass.

If Berube rolls over, you can bet the next time he'll be asking, "What are you going to do about Giroux? Do you think it's time you send a message to the team's leaders?" or something along those lines. Best to make a fool of the idiot now before it causes an even bigger distraction in the future. Just accept that the media will always be a distraction in Philly by no cause of the Flyers actual organization.

EDIT: You also never want to give the press control in that type of situation. Take Pronger-- he was always 100% in control of the press even if they were still asking the questions. If Berube can assert himself in the press now, he'll have the advantage when things get rough and the reporters think twice about what and how they ask questions.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
There are no differing POVs here. The press asked a stupid question; Berube responded with an assertive answer. Nothing unprofessional about that except for the idiocy of the reporter. You don't need to have a lengthy career behind the bench to put the media in their place.

There will always be sparring matches with the press for as long as they continue their history of being ignorant and unprofessional morons. You don't deal with that by cowering and letting it slide; you make it clear that a reporter open will be opening himself up to humiliation by being an arrogant jackass.

If Berube rolls over, you can bet the next time he'll be asking, "What are you going to do about Giroux? Do you think it's time you send a message to the team's leaders?" or something along those lines. Best to make a fool of the idiot now before it causes an even bigger distraction in the future. Just accept that the media will always be a distraction in Philly by no cause of the Flyers actual organization.

Too much wasted energy complaining about the press.....sorry there is a different POV. I'm stating so categorically.

BTW it is not our job nor that of the Flyers org to say how the press should do their jobs necessarily. This isn't North Korea is it? Let them ask stupid questions..just take the high road..that is all.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Too much wasted energy complaining about the press.....sorry there is a different POV. I'm stating so categorically.

BTW it is not our job nor that of the Flyers org to say how the press should do their jobs necessarily. This isn't North Korea is it? Let them ask stupid questions..just take the high road..that is all.

I don't disagree, but in the same token, let Berube answer the stupid questions the way he did! It's all good, a non-issue really.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't disagree, but in the same token, let Berube answer the stupid questions the way he did! It's all good, a non-issue really.

If it continues then it won't be a non-issue..that is kind of my point. Why even start down that road with them. I just hope the sparring doesn't continue b/c then I'll just have to assume it is deliberate on management's part to play into it and distract from the product if it continues to not do well. This is a one off..I agree and Berube wanted to be cute and funny but I still didn't like it necessarily but mainly b/c of all that Bryz crap I guess..

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would not doubt Kimmo. He always delivers.

At the start of last season he looked iffy as well.

But down the stretch he was our best D man. (with Schenn in a very, very close second place)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Down the stretch Kimmo and Schenn were the only top 6 defensemen left. Coburn, Meszaros and Grossmann were all out injured.

Kimmo shouldn't be on the top PP unit anymore. It's time for Streit to take his place.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Yes, I'm saying we should dictate through the legal system what may or may not be asked in the media. Same thing. :shakehead

It is part of Berube's job to deal with the media effectively. Ensuring that he does what he can to limit disruptive questions is part of doing this job effectively.

The "high road" would invite the vultures in the press to swoop in and attack the team at any chance. You think this will cause distractions? Like I said, imagine what it would be like if the press gave itself the green light to go after Giroux, Voracek, Timonen, or, worse, Mason. Think it would be a distraction then?

This idiot will ask a softball next time. You have to be assertive with the media or it will get a whole lot worse. That would be a distraction.

If it continues then it won't be a non-issue..that is kind of my point. Why even start down that road with them. I just hope the sparring doesn't continue b/c then I'll just have to assume it is deliberate on management's part to play into it and distract from the product if it continues to not do well. This is a one off..I agree and Berube wanted to be cute and funny but I still didn't like it necessarily but mainly b/c of all that Bryz crap I guess..

The Bryzgalov crap was not being assertive. That was being desperate. Telling someone, "Stop, you're hurting my feelings" isn't going to get them to stop. Making someone feel stupid will put an end to them trying to get a certain reaction out of you. This is the opposite of "playing into" the media's trap.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't see how asking if Rosehill gets punished is a stupid question. Phrased wrongly maybe but not a stupid question.

Kind of hypocritical for us all to want Rosehill to be gone and for everyone to know how unbelievably stupid that penalty was last night yet when a reporter asks if he'll be held accountable for it it becomes a stupid question and a stupid reporter. I'm actually appreciative that he asked that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, I'm saying we should dictate through the legal system what may or may not be asked in the media. Same thing. :shakehead

Yeah b/c I said exactly what you just wrote :shakehead

What I meant is that there is such a thing as freedom of the press and sure berube is engaging in freedom of speech but look at the example he is providing for the players? Now we have Hartnell having a tweeting war with a member of the media like a teen. Seriously, people don't get it. Berube needs to be the one that is more professional and "lead" by example. The media is doing what it always does.....

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

What I meant is that there is such a thing as freedom of the press and sure berube is engaging in freedom of speech but look at the example he is providing for the players? Now we have Hartnell having a tweeting war with a member of the media like a teen. Seriously, people don't get it. Berube needs to be the one that is more professional and "lead" by example. The media is doing what it always does.....

Pretty much. If you don't understand that the media are free to say what they want or to write their own opinions, as that's half the purpose of the media, then you're kind of off-base here. The media will always be present and everything the media spins out will always be pointless, useless generic questions or stuff looking for hits (sometimes with truth to it, sometimes not). The onus is on the players to not let their anger get the best of them just like on the ice they have to be in control of themselves.

The media aren't the ones part of the organization and being paid millions (currently to vastly under perform). The players and staff are.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

You compared my point to North Korea, so, yes, it is exactly what you implied. :laugh:

And one tweet from Hartnell is now a tweet war. Give me a break. Good for the players for making it clear that they don't accept losing. What the hell is wrong with that? I'd prefer if Twitter was altogether abolished, but don't act as if Hartnell's tweet is somehow a distraction to the team.

For too long the media has gotten away with its schtick. The only one who was able to control them was Pronger, and he did it through asserting himself by condescending the ignorance and stupidity of the press. That was proactive, and it worked. It worked great.

Berube's (and Hartnell's) comments are not a distraction. A distraction would be the media crucifying the captain and leaders of the team, and the team responding after the fact. Yeah, that would be a distraction. But, wait, haven't we seen that before? How'd that turn out? Richards was reactive, and it totally blew up in his face.

The team needs to be proactive in sticking up for each other before it gets to that point. Call the media out, make them feel stupid. Then if they decide to call players out, they can do it with no credibility, and it will be humorous rather than distractive.

The media is a part of the game here, unfortunately. You can't just close your ears and say, "Let's ignore it all!" You have to adress it before it turns into a bigger issue, otherwise you'll be creating more problems down the road than you're preventing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You compared my point to North Korea, so, yes, it is exactly what you implied. :laugh:

And one tweet from Hartnell is now a tweet war. Give me a break. Good for the players for making it clear that they don't accept losing. What the hell is wrong with that? I'd prefer if Twitter was altogether abolished, but don't act as if Hartnell's tweet is somehow a distraction to the team.

For too long the media has gotten away with its schtick. The only one who was able to control them was Pronger, and he did it through asserting himself by condescending the ignorance and stupidity of the press. That was proactive, and it worked. It worked great.

Berube's (and Hartnell's) comments are not a distraction. A distraction would be the media crucifying the captain and leaders of the team, and the team responding after the fact. Yeah, that would be a distraction. But, wait, haven't we seen that before? How'd that turn out? Richards was reactive, and it totally blew up in his face.

The team needs to be proactive in sticking up for each other before it gets to that point. Call the media out, make them feel stupid. Then if they decide to call players out, they can do it with no credibility, and it will be humorous rather than distractive.

The media is a part of the game here, unfortunately. You can't just close your ears and say, "Let's ignore it all!" You have to adress it before it turns into a bigger issue, otherwise you'll be creating more problems down the road than you're preventing.

Does North Korea have Freedom of the Press? No..

Did I not clarify my point that the media is engaging in just that with the Flyers? I mentioned nothing about legislating or anything else you wrongly inferred.

Let me ask you? Has all the preemptive Pronger attacks stopped the media from continuing to ask questions..stupid or not?

Seriously..this is a futile argument

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Following your logic the whole Richards/Carter fiasco shouldn't have happened then considering Richards was standing up for himself. Instead it came off as unprofessional and worsened matters. Also following your logic we shouldn't have this problem today yet we do despite Richards, Pronger, Berube, Hartnell, etc. continuing to argue with the media.

The media will always be the media. For millions of dollars and guaranteed contracts you would think the players could control a simple urge to partake in a media fight.

There were no truth to the Richards and Carter rumors and the players knew that yet they continued to have a flame war with the media. That's not the smart way to go about it nor does it strengthen their position. If any fan chose to believe it that's on the stupidity of the fans not on the media or anyone else. The Richards/Carter situation was nothing but a distraction that people still cling to today and Richards has just as much a part in that as anyone else for perpetuating a childish argument with the media.

The media is part of every team. The larger the market the more-so that's true. To pretend like Philly is the only one is ignorance.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Kimmo shouldn't be on the top PP unit anymore. It's time for Streit to take his place.

I disagreed with this before the season started.

The powerplay looks terrible right now, though, and I think swapping Kimmo and Streit would be a good place to start in an attempt to turn things around.

Kimmo's still a great quarterback, but he's no longer trustworthy as the last guy back on the powerplay if the puck's turned over. Three penalties in four games cannot be overlooked... might have to replace 'Knubled' with 'Kimmo'd'...

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I disagreed with this before the season started.

The powerplay looks terrible right now, though, and I think swapping Kimmo and Streit would be a good place to start in an attempt to turn things around.

Kimmo's still a great quarterback, but he's no longer trustworthy as the last guy back on the powerplay if the puck's turned over. Three penalties in four games cannot be overlooked... might have to replace 'Knubled' with 'Kimmo'd'...

Yeah, it's one thing to turn it over but he just has nowhere near the foot speed to make up for it.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Following your logic the whole Richards/Carter fiasco shouldn't have happened then considering Richards was standing up for himself. Instead it came off as unprofessional and worsened matters. Also following your logic we shouldn't have this problem today yet we do despite Richards, Pronger, Berube, Hartnell, etc. continuing to argue with the media.
Um, no. Richards was never able to put the media in their place. That opened the door for them to jump all over him, and he was forced to deal with the problem after it became a distraction. Again, reactive, not proactive.

The media will always be the media. For millions of dollars and guaranteed contracts you would think the players could control a simple urge to partake in a media fight.
And let the media become a cloud surrounding the team? Like I said, you need to deal with it. Eating the punches does nothing but give you bruises all over your face. You can't just say, "Ignore it and move on".

There were no truth to the Richards and Carter rumors and the players knew that yet they continued to have a flame war with the media. That's not the smart way to go about it nor does it strengthen their position. If any fan chose to believe it that's on the stupidity of the fans not on the media or anyone else. The Richards/Carter situation was nothing but a distraction that people still cling to today and Richards has just as much a part in that as anyone else for perpetuating a childish argument with the media.
And if Richards had been able to assert himself and put the media down from the get-go, then it would never have been an issue at all. Instead he acted whiny and indifferent with them, the media pounced, and then he had to fight back after it blew up.

The media is part of every team. The larger the market the more-so that's true. To pretend like Philly is the only one is ignorance.
This is true, but the media is particularly more vindictive, whiny, and spiteful in Philly than it is anywhere else. The media in the TOR or MTL still ultimately want the Leafs and Habs to win.

The media in Philly couldn't care less, and probably wants to see the team implode just for the headlines.

EDIT: They're also more ignorant than any other media in the league. Not really up for debate on that.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm done with this. It's kind of impossible to argue with "They should stand up for themselves because that would somehow discredit the media and make it all go away despite all of history telling us otherwise. Also, Mike Richards is an exception because he stood up for himself in the wrong way".

There's literally no reason to argue with that kind of reasoning.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm done with this. It's kind of impossible to argue with "They should stand up for themselves because that would somehow discredit the media and make it all go away despite all of history telling us otherwise. Also, Mike Richards is an exception because he stood up for himself in the wrong way".

There's literally no reason to argue with that kind of reasoning.
Probably because you totally invented that reasoning out of thin air. Well done. 10/10 strawman, for sure. :handclap::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad