Post-Game Talk: Tue. Oct 25th 2016 | Sabres 3 @ Flyers 4 (2-0 shootout)

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Cousins has not much better than VV or Bellemare so far. None of them are good enough offensively at this level and if Cousins doesn't produce he really has no role. He doesn't PK, isn't good on the PP, not great defensively. He hasn't been completely awful or hurting the team or anything, but really the only guys I'd be against removing from the bottom 6 would be Read and Lyubimov. Everyone else is super replaceable. Weise gets a pass so far too, I think he's gonna improve as the year goes on and hopefully his linemates improve. A 3rd line of Read-Raffl-Weise would probably be pretty good. I know Raffl doesn't play a lot of C but he has all the attributes to do so.
Shouldn't forget Gordon, although it's hard not to since he only plays random minutes. His career fo% is good for a bottom 6, heck any C for that matter, and I'm sure the 52%+ from this season will slowly rise closer to his career numbers, cause it's a talent that rarely, if ever, deteriorates with age (VV on the other hand is winning way more than his career numbers suggest). Last night Gordon won just about every face-off he took (ok, so he only had like 10 shifts all night). Yes, lost his guy on the pk that led to Buffalo's second of the night, but won the draw just prior to that, none the less. Anyway, point here is, he's useful if only for this one trait, and if the 4th line keeps playing 5-8 mins + a few on the pk a night, there's no reason he shouldn't have a place on the team, although he's no Read or Lyubs. The rest though, totally replaceable.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Gordon is at 52%, Giroux is at 51%. Decent, but not great. Gordon was at 57% last yera.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The hit was borderline, warranted a penalty, nothing more

I think most of us agree on that. it is just that the DOPeS continues to be inconsistent and mind blowing stupid with their decisions and how they draw up there conclusions on what is and what is not suspension worthy.
That is what I am going to call them from now on DOPeS because that is what they are.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
The Rinaldo hit on Couts checked off all the boxes and was on a good player by one of the biggest POS in hockey, no suspension there raised my eyebrows.

Gudas was a collection of hits so I get that, still shocked it was 6 though.
There are MANY worse hits than Weise's as well that go un punished. The difference between all these hits and Weise s sure as heck shouldnt be 3 games.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't think they're biased. I think they're just lazy. They saw blood on Holzer, so they thought "That looks bad, that's a suspension."
They saw Voracek finishing the game and even score in the shootout, so they thought "He kept playing, it can't be that bad."

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Honestly, at this point it's impossible to discern any rhyme or reason to any of the disciplinary actions. It's hard to believe but it's actually gotten worse from a few years ago.

I'm still completely outraged that Rinaldo got off for what he did last year.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
From what I saw the hit last night was definitely a penalty but not suspension worthy. That said if the league dropped the hammer on him I wouldn't argue with it. It was an incredibly stupid penalty to take and it basically cost us the game. Flyers PP dished out the real (and best) punishment.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hellllooooo?

normal.jpg

Is it me you're looking for?

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Personally I thought the hit was clean as a whistle. I can understand the annoyance at the difference in punishment between Weise and Kulikov though.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
From what I saw the hit last night was definitely a penalty but not suspension worthy. That said if the league dropped the hammer on him I wouldn't argue with it. It was an incredibly stupid penalty to take and it basically cost us the game. Flyers PP dished out the real (and best) punishment.

Thanks for your input. In the not too distant past, we all would have considered it a great check. Times have changed and, as I am sure you have read here, precedents have been set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad