Post-Game Talk: Tue. Oct 25th 2016 | Sabres 3 @ Flyers 4 (2-0 shootout)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Lets not get carried away here and equate Read to McDonald. Any who has a clue knew Read was/is way better than McDonald and didn't have nearly the same contract cost/length.

You're right, it's actually less likely because Read is worth more than MacDonald and Morin is worth more than 2nd + 4th + Hagg.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's not accurate. Gudas did not get suspended for big hits that made head contact multiple times last season, including against Buffalo.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ther-hit-puts-radko-gudas-hot-water/80269992/

I was at that game and it happened right in front of me practically. I'm aware that certain big hits were not suspended, but those hits did not warrant suspension. He was tossed from that game as well as a few others that did not get suspension because they deemed the game misconduct to be enough discipline due to the borderline nature of the hits. The hit on Catenacci he did not leave his feet or project upwards and he made primary contact with shoulder chest and caught head on follow through.

So yes, I do think it's accurate that there is bias against us.

I'm sure Voracek, Giroux, VandeVelde, and Couturier would all agree..especially the latter three who all sustained concussions on head shots that garnered no suspension. Hopefully Jake is feeling alright today.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm sure the DPS position is that Kulikov left his feet after contract and that the main point of contact was the chest, not the head.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Think people get too hung up on who Hasktol is playing at this point of the season - right now they have injuries, suspensions and a killer schedule to start the season, I mean play in Montreal, then fly back to Philly the next night (what time did they get in, 4 AM?) to play a team coming off 4 days rest.

Hakstol probably demands more disciplined play from his bottom six, his top two lines can compensate with speed and skill, but "muckers" have smaller margins of error, so he's more reluctant to give Luby lots of ice time until he's got a couple dozen games under his belt.

Provorov 24 min, Ghost 22, Manning 17.
Provorov, McDonald 3+ on the PK, Gudas, Manning 1, GHost and Streit don't play the PK (can't clear the crease as we saw on the 2nd goal)

Hakstol is trying to keep Couts off the PK, he trusts VdV there, but Luby got 2 shifts, he's working his way into that bottom six role.

VdV, Luby and Gordon played about 6 minutes ES. That's 9 shifts.
Cousins and PEB were the next lowest time at 11 and 13 minutes.
So the 4th line is really chosen to play the PK and maybe 3 shifts a period to provide a breather.

I think the shuffling will occur on the 3rd line, Read has nailed down one spot, the other two are up in the air until Raffl returns. If PEB is pushed down to the 4th line, I think Gordon sits, if Weise, VdV or Luby. Cousins either centers the 3rd line or sits, he doesn't fit a 4th line role.

The Konecnky - Giroux - Voracek combo doesn't work, both K and G can get pushed off the puck too easily, they need space and someone to do the dirty work, though the way V is playing, you could put him on any line and it would work.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm sure the DPS position is that Kulikov left his feet after contract and that the main point of contact was the chest, not the head.

His right skate was off the ice prior to contact and his left skate had a sliver still on, suggesting upwards trajectory as he delivered the hit.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Think people get too hung up on who Hasktol is playing at this point of the season - right now they have injuries, suspensions and a killer schedule to start the season, I mean play in Montreal, then fly back to Philly the next night (what time did they get in, 4 AM?) to play a team coming off 4 days rest.

Hakstol probably demands more disciplined play from his bottom six, his top two lines can compensate with speed and skill, but "muckers" have smaller margins of error, so he's more reluctant to give Luby lots of ice time until he's got a couple dozen games under his belt.

Provorov 24 min, Ghost 22, Manning 17.
Provorov, McDonald 3+ on the PK, Gudas, Manning 1, GHost and Streit don't play the PK (can't clear the crease as we saw on the 2nd goal)

Hakstol is trying to keep Couts off the PK, he trusts VdV there, but Luby got 2 shifts, he's working his way into that bottom six role.

VdV, Luby and Gordon played about 6 minutes ES. That's 9 shifts.
Cousins and PEB were the next lowest time at 11 and 13 minutes.
So the 4th line is really chosen to play the PK and maybe 3 shifts a period to provide a breather.

I think the shuffling will occur on the 3rd line, Read has nailed down one spot, the other two are up in the air until Raffl returns. If PEB is pushed down to the 4th line, I think Gordon sits, if Weise, VdV or Luby. Cousins either centers the 3rd line or sits, he doesn't fit a 4th line role.

The Konecnky - Giroux - Voracek combo doesn't work, both K and G can get pushed off the puck too easily, they need space and someone to do the dirty work, though the way V is playing, you could put him on any line and it would work.

I don't see Gordon sitting. That would leave us with one Center with strong faceoff ability (Giroux) and would take one PKer out of the lineup.

The obvious choice to sit is certainly VandeVelde and then either Cousins or Lyubimov. Hopefully Hak proves us wrong and doesn't just scratch Cousins and Lyubimov and leave VdV in there.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I just hope when everybody is healthy, that the 3rd line is some combination of Cousins, Read, Weise, and Raffl and Bellemare goes to 4th line LW.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Officiating bias vs the Flyers has been evident for a LOT of years. It's amazing I have a hair left on my head after all these years of pulling it out over biased officials. You'd swear their moms are in the stands every time they do a Philly game. It's taxing, I don't miss more than 3 Flyers games a year since I started getting the center ice package. If I don't see a difference in where they sit league wide in minor penalty minutes by the mid point, It'll be the last time I purchase anything NHL related. Couldn't even turn on the Buffalo game after that fiasco(same old, same old) in Montreal.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I didn't think the Kulikov hit was worthy of a suspension in isolation, but it's pretty annoying that Weise was suspended for something similar.

The last I knew of this game before this morning was that it was 3-1 Buffalo in the third. I quickly checked the GDT at the time and it didn't sound good and I didn't get a chance to watch the archive last night.

Should I watch the whole game, or just the third plus OT/SO?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Mikey over @ O&B is furious. He said this hit and the Weise hit are identical, he's like breaking it down frame by frame. lol

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I didn't think the Kulikov hit was worthy of a suspension in isolation, but it's pretty annoying that Weise was suspended for something similar.

The last I knew of this game before this morning was that it was 3-1 Buffalo in the third. I quickly checked the GDT at the time and it didn't sound good and I didn't get a chance to watch the archive last night.

Last 5 min and OT.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Cousins has not much better than VV or Bellemare so far. None of them are good enough offensively at this level and if Cousins doesn't produce he really has no role. He doesn't PK, isn't good on the PP, not great defensively. He hasn't been completely awful or hurting the team or anything, but really the only guys I'd be against removing from the bottom 6 would be Read and Lyubimov. Everyone else is super replaceable. Weise gets a pass so far too, I think he's gonna improve as the year goes on and hopefully his linemates improve. A 3rd line of Read-Raffl-Weise would probably be pretty good. I know Raffl doesn't play a lot of C but he has all the attributes to do so.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Just the third +.

My DVR just got the last SO goal in before the 3 hours expired.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

The Flyers played good in the first but couldn't score. Lots of chances.

The second was pretty even but Neuvirth let in three goals, two were softies.

Third period and OT were domination by the Flyers. I think the shots were 18-3 or something like that.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Cousins has not much better than VV or Bellemare so far. None of them are good enough offensively at this level and if Cousins doesn't produce he really has no role. He doesn't PK, isn't good on the PP, not great defensively. He hasn't been completely awful or hurting the team or anything, but really the only guys I'd be against removing from the bottom 6 would be Read and Lyubimov. Everyone else is super replaceable. Weise gets a pass so far too, I think he's gonna improve as the year goes on and hopefully his linemates improve. A 3rd line of Read-Raffl-Weise would probably be pretty good. I know Raffl doesn't play a lot of C but he has all the attributes to do so.

Cousins is clearly better at center than wing. It's pretty unfair to expect someone to produce in a position that they clearly aren't comfortable playing. He should definitely be given some time at 3rd line center to give him a chance to produce. Peb has shown he can't produce at 3rd line center, Cousins should at least be given that opportunity before giving up on him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Can we put the rest the notion that there is not bias against the Flyers concerning discipline?

It's clear as day now. Four consecutive head shots unpunished, whereas all of ours in that time frame have been punished.
There is no bias, I can't believe how skewed your perception is.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Honestly, I'm surprised that Voracek didn't get suspended for being hit. He clearly put himself in a bad position.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Bias indicates that the dops knows what they're doing. Personally I just think they are inept at their job.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Gudas's hit was not lesser, it was blindsided as opposed to this one and this one wasn't as late. And has it already been decided that Kulikov isn't getting suspended?

lol whatever you say. Yes, no hearing per a Sabres beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad