Post-Game Talk: Tue., Jan. 28, 2014| Red Wings 0 at Flyers 5 (Timonen, LBI, probable for Thursday)

bney7

Jan 4, 2008
Can someone explain why Vandevelde is still on the team? He has to be one of the most useless Flyers I've ever seen. He has no offensive talent, he can't skate well, he doesn't hit, he doesn't play great defensive hockey. He's just a body.

There has to be someone better than him in the system. I get that Rinaldo will be back and probably take his spot. But considering they've scratched Downie for him of late that may not even get him out of the line up.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I just saw the highlights and if the first line and Mason were half as good as they seem to, I think I missed a fun game. Loved Couturier's goal too :)

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Can someone explain why Vandevelde is still on the team? He has to be one of the most useless Flyers I've ever seen. He has no offensive talent, he can't skate well, he doesn't hit, he doesn't play great defensive hockey. He's just a body.

There has to be someone better than him in the system. I get that Rinaldo will be back and probably take his spot. But considering they've scratched Downie for him of late that may not even get him out of the line up.

I don't really think having Vandevelde in the lineup is a problem. He doesn't do anything stupid like Rinaldo usually does. He may not play great defensive hockey but he still does a pretty good job from what I've seen. He is what he is...a 4th liner.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Blocked a shot in the first period. He took 8 more shifts after and then left.I think it 3-0 at the time, so it may have been a precautionary thing.

OK, I know exactly which shot that was. Interesting. He finished his shift without showing any signs of a problem.

Obviously the 2nd and 3rd periods must have been much better than the 1st. The 1st was pretty crappy, especially considering how depleted Detroit's roster is.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
well needless to say the whole team needed this win. had to win this game at home against a team beat up with injuries.
Hopefully they can build on it and get something positive out of the west coast trip.
good job by everyone tonight.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

The fourth line looked solid with the addition of Raffl. Just before Hall scored I was thinking "this line will score" which you would never have thought of with Rinaldo/Rosehill!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What exactly was Gustavsson doing on Couturier's goal? That was some bad goaltending.

It was just ugly all around for Detroit on that play, Couturier had some steam coming in but it looked the defender was barely even trying to keep up with him.

Gustavsson was more concerned with Read & the two Red Wings players (who were totally out of the play by that point) than he was with Couturier.

Couturier made a nice patient play & used his reach to his advantage but it honestly looked like nobody on the Red Wings knew what the **** they were doing out there in that sequence.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It was just ugly all around for Detroit on that play, Couturier had some steam coming in but it looked the defender was barely even trying to keep up with him.

Gustavsson was more concerned with Read & the two Red Wings players (who were totally out of the play by that point) than he was with Couturier.

Couturier made a nice patient play & used his reach to his advantage but it honestly looked like nobody on the Red Wings knew what the **** they were doing out there in that sequence.

It was ugly as hell by the Wings... but I think he surprised everyone massively by how quickly he got round the net, that was one long stick!

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I finally caught a good game. Was pleased with a lot of effort all around. I know special doubt and questions Gus, but jesus, the kid has EXACTLY what the D lacks, skating ability and passing ability. He put a beautiful pass on the stick from the goal line to almost the red line and it turned into a beautiful scoring chance. I'm not sure there is anybody else on the team that could've made that pass.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
nANPCYP.gif

That is funny.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The fourth line looked solid with the addition of Raffl. Just before Hall scored I was thinking "this line will score" which you would never have thought of with Rinaldo/Rosehill!

It was the best the 4th line had looked all season.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
I just saw the highlights and if the first line and Mason were half as good as they seem to, I think I missed a fun game. Loved Couturier's goal too :)

From the highlights, I thought there were a lot of lucky bounces at both ends of the ice.

I am not feeling good about facing the Ducks.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
From the highlights, I thought there were a lot of lucky bounces at both ends of the ice.

I am not feeling good about facing the Ducks.

I don't know if the highlights on hockeystreams and NHL.com are the same, but from what I've seen on hockeystreams, the first line looked like flying out there

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
1st line was very strong. Hartnell looking real good again. Giroux was flying.

And Vinny was disgusting with the puck again. He was stick handling through players left and right. Numerous of opportunities.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
1st line was very strong. Hartnell looking real good again. Giroux was flying.

And Vinny was disgusting with the puck again. He was stick handling through players left and right. Numerous of opportunities.

I still think that save that Gus had on Vinny was pretty ****ing stellar. Vinny got a lot under that puck and he still got a glove on it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I still think that save that Gus had on Vinny was pretty ****ing stellar. Vinny got a lot under that puck and he still got a glove on it.

I rewatched the game & as many weak goals Gustavsson gave up last night he probably equaled in big saves that should have been goals. Vinny's was one, as well as Hartnell's & Giroux's shots on that one odd man rush (an inch or two to the right & Hartnell likely would have squeezed it five hole again).

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
One thing that stood at last night was that a few of the struggling players, Namely Luke Schenn and Grossmann, were playing much more phsyical than they had been especially in their own end. I really think the team is much better when they play with that type of edge, and considering most of their penalties aren't cases of over aggression I hope it continues.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
According to Berube Rinaldo is good to go.

Well at least we had a good 4th line one game this season :(. Going to miss the defensive 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad