Post-Game Talk: Tuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No he wasn't. He was a mediocre 2nd pair guy last year who often trucked people at open ice. And he was just bad the first two. It was far from a minority opinion. That said, he's hit a very new low this year.
I would say most of last year he was already this bad, but yeah, it was still taboo to say it.

He's been serviceable at points with the Rangers but he hasn't really been good since he was on the Jets.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Trouba was really good in 21-22, passable in 20-21, and ranging from bad to total dog shit every other year.

I don't know what we're hoping he'll bounce back to. Being only sorta terrible?

Reactions: mas0764

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Nah it's still super concerning. Trouba is playing completely normal right now and it's weird that Laviolette would notice now and not all the other times.
It's like they're cooking up a story to tell the fans ... "Yes he had a few rough games when he returned from injury (a little early, but you can't hold a leader like Trou Trou back), but he stuck with it (like the hero he is), and the team stuck with him (what a buncha guys), and it's just so heartwarming all around."

And thus create a cloud of impenetrable bullshit that will distract people.

Trouba was really good in 21-22, passable in 20-21, and ranging from bad to total dog shit every other year.

I don't know what we're hoping he'll bounce back to. Being only sorta terrible?
Well, I hold out no hope. This team has a long-time fascination with Trouba-type defensemen.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Dude cost us two points, bottom line. The first 4 shifts from Trouba/Miller were absolutely horrendous, beer league level against a, still, top 10 player. Penguins might have been desperate but we outplayed them.

He's a legit problem. Lavi doesn't see it either, which might be worse. Gallant didn't see it with Nemeth either until game 6 2 years ago when he finally benched him.

Maybe it's PTSD from last year, but he's got 7 games to find some NHL level form again before the margin of errors is zero. I feel bad for Jones, he deserves to stay in the lineup

Shelter Trouba with Jones. Tell him no pinching, let Jones do anything offensively.

Put Cuylle back with Wennberg and Kakko. Vesey and Goodrow with Edstrom I guess. He doesn't trust Rempe, which I get, and I've seen enough of The Brod.

This team is good and we can go far if we don't trip over our own feet with some stubbornness.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Why is Trouba playing? If he isn't healthy enough to throw a hit he should be sitting. First goal completely on him and I laughed later when he got nutmeg'd on the Crosby goal. Miller was also getting his lunch money taken all night and every time the puck got to his stick the offense died. Idk what more Laviolette needs to see to actually switch the pairs.

Edit: Didnt watch the postgame but did see Trouba's comments essentially calling himself out and wanted to at least mention it. He stinks but I appreciate the accountability which we have sometimes not seen from the team when they play poorly.

Other than that I thought they were generally fine. The goalie "interference" calls the last 2 games have been the p***yfication of sports. Goalie barely touched on both. We cruise to a win if that goal counts. And I hate to be a blame the refs guy, but to say theres a pattern of the Pens getting every review to go there way and the Rangers getting none, is an understatement. It's comical at this point.

Last edited:

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Why is Trouba playing? If he isn't healthy enough to throw a hit he should be sitting. First goal completely on him and I laughed later when he got nutmeg'd on the Crosby goal. Miller was also getting his lunch money taken all night and every time the puck got to his stick the offense died. Idk what more Laviolette needs to see to actually switch the pairs.

Other than that I thought they were generally fine. The goalie "interference" calls the last 2 games have been the p***yfication of sports. Goalie barely touched on both. We cruise to a win if that goal counts. And I hate to be a blame the refs guy, but to say theres a pattern of the Pens getting every review to go there way and the Rangers getting none, is an understatement. It's comical at this point.
I wanted to make comments about the refs and the non-goal but the Trouba/Miller pair was so egregious it really didn't matter what the refs had done. They were gonna F something up no matter what
I love how he tinkers with shit for no reason but if it's not good, they're together by blood oath.
THE TEMPLATE rules all

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t understand why Cuylle Wennberg Kakko isn’t in stone. That line was is fantastic. I don’t get it.

If we’d have gotten this kakko all year he’d be flirting with 20 goals and 40 pts again easily while being a premier defensive forward and possession monster. Wennberg is the perfect center for him.

Trouba should Charlie Conway himself into the coaches office and telll him to play Miller and Schneider together. He’s got his money and his letter he doesn’t need that ice time. Take the sheltered 3rd pair mins with jones and first pk mins with lindgren and raise the Cup have your picture taken with the greats

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Another thing I noticed. The Rangers beat Crosby in 2022 when they started to get physical with him. Igor had the Rangers biggest hit on him last night. Enough said.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Lav constantly says when a guy is cleared, he goes back to the same usage as before. Really don't understand that. Guy missed a month, it takes time to build up the body and the mind. It's not an on/off switch. Trouba has been horrendous. He shouldn't be out there vs their only 2 good players being horrendous. Let him build up against their 4th liners.
I don’t understand why they don’t send guys to Hartford on conditioning stints anymore when returning from injury. Seems like something that used to be routine and doesn’t happen anymore. It takes time to come back to speed after being out for an extended period. Should be able to do it at a lower level for a game or two to ramp up and not impact the NHL team.

It’s debatable whether Trouba is a top 6 defenseman on this team when fully healthy, but he’s definitely not in his current state.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's the #8 defenseman on this team.

Our coaching staff plays him like a #2-#3. That's the problem.

MOVE ON. It's time. He can't move. His lack of mobility costs us every game... Miraculously, it has somehow gotten worse. I tuned out the game after the 1st shift. Put him on the 3rd pair or claim a mysterious 're-injury'.

Last edited:

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don’t understand why Cuylle Wennberg Kakko isn’t in stone. That line was is fantastic. I don’t get it.

If we’d have gotten this kakko all year he’d be flirting with 20 goals and 40 pts again easily while being a premier defensive forward and possession monster. Wennberg is the perfect center for him.

Trouba should Charlie Conway himself into the coaches office and telll him to play Miller and Schneider together. He’s got his money and his letter he doesn’t need that ice time. Take the sheltered 3rd pair mins with jones and first pk mins with lindgren and raise the Cup have your picture taken with the greats

i like lav as a coach but his recent lineup decisions have been horrible.

I have no clue what cuylle did to get demoted, or why he is t back in.

I have no clue why miller schneider was broken up.

I get that trouba goes back in when healthy, but just put him with jones.

It is painfully obvious these two moves.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
No he wasn't. He was a mediocre 2nd pair guy last year who often trucked people at open ice. And he was just bad the first two. It was far from a minority opinion. That said, he's hit a very new low this year.

Well, I guess I can't argue that it's not a new low this year, it definitely is.

But he has been subjectively "bad at defense," for years now.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah but the whole postmortem on how bad he was from coach and player is even more frustrating because this wasn't abnormal.

He's had many bad games this year where the narrative was what a warrior he was.
I also don't really want to hear from the coach about if a certain player wasn't on his game. You are the coach, you have identified a problem, what did you do about it? Or what are you going to do about it in the future? I know Lavy isn't going to go Tortorella and sit Trouba, but if he's not up to speed after an injury, then ease him in. Shelter him. Do something about it.

Reactions: duhmetreE

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I also don't really want to hear from the coach about if a certain player wasn't on his game. You are the coach, you have identified a problem, what did you do about it? Or what are you going to do about it in the future? I know Lavy isn't going to go Tortorella and sit Trouba, but if he's not up to speed after an injury, then ease him in. Shelter him. Do something about it.
Crosby was destroying Miller/Trouba and Vinny's line. So Lav did something. He moved Mika's line up and kept Trouba's pair on Crosby. It's hard to justify Lav thinking they are our best shutdown pair especially when it wasn't Miller's night either. Only other thing I can think of is that they don't want Fox concentrating on playing defense on his whole shift which could happen if he's always out against the Crosbys of the world.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad