Speculation: TT

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
Teuvo was so bad that I think there's only one clear course of action:

Sit Panik in favor of Mashinter

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
And I don't want to hear how we're going to have to trade a gritty, play-making guy like Andrew Shaw in order to pay this guy a salary that he doesn't deserve in the hopes that he'll grow a pair in a few years. I would gladly wave good-bye to TT in order to keep Shaw. Shaw makes something happen when we need something to happen. TT can't engage.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
And I don't want to hear how we're going to have to trade a gritty, play-making guy like Andrew Shaw in order to pay this guy a salary that he doesn't deserve in the hopes that he'll grow a pair in a few years. I would gladly wave good-bye to TT in order to keep Shaw. Shaw makes something happen when we need something to happen. TT can't engage.

How about keep both? Stan can make it happen i'm sure.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Won't be shocked if TT is benched next game. Truly awful game for him.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Teuvo was fine in game 1.

He was bad last night. Players have bad games. It happens.

You dont bench skill players with high potential output for one bad performance, and you certainly dont trade them to make cap space for 'grit'.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Teuvo was fine in game 1.

He was bad last night. Players have bad games. It happens.

You dont bench skill players with high potential output for one bad performance, and you certainly dont trade them to make cap space for 'grit'.

When can we get past the fact that Shaw is not just a grit guy. He can move up and down the lineup and he comes up in the biggest playoff moments. He's built for games that matter. TT has a load of skill, but he's soft. The difference between him and Panarin is Panarin is a bull. He's got that in him. TT does not. And unless TT hits the gym, and changes his demeanor a little bit on the ice, I worry about him being nothing more than a 40-45 point winger. Those ARE abundant. Don't get me wrong, TT had some big goals last year. But, this isn't last year. And almost every goal he had were 40-50ft perimeter shots that the goalie should have saved. That won't cut it in the playoffs. If Hossa wasn't a year from LTIR, I'd move TT to keep Shaw knowing Schmaltz is there to replace him.

This team will miss Shaw as much as any other player moved as a cap casualty.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
When can we get past the fact that Shaw is not just a grit guy. He can move up and down the lineup and he comes up in the biggest playoff moments. He's built for games that matter. TT has a load of skill, but he's soft. The difference between him and Panarin is Panarin is a bull. He's got that in him. TT does not. And unless TT hits the gym, and changes his demeanor a little bit on the ice, I worry about him being nothing more than a 40-45 point winger. Those ARE abundant. Don't get me wrong, TT had some big goals last year. But, this isn't last year. And almost every goal he had were 40-50ft perimeter shots that the goalie should have saved. That won't cut it in the playoffs. If Hossa wasn't a year from LTIR, I'd move TT to keep Shaw knowing Schmaltz is there to replace him.

This team will miss Shaw as much as any other player moved as a cap casualty.

He's more skilled than the average bottom 6 guy, but I'd still take the cheaper, higher skill-ceiling over the more expensive, lower skill ceiling.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
He's more skilled than the average bottom 6 guy, but I'd still take the cheaper, higher skill-ceiling over the more expensive, lower skill ceiling.

You can still have TT next season with a Shaw extension. If Teravainen actually pans out like we want him to, won't he end up being more expensive than Shaw?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You can still have TT next season with a Shaw extension. If Teravainen actually pans out like we want him to, won't he end up being more expensive than Shaw?

I guess you could if Shaw didn't get an NTC on his new deal.

Short of a complete explosion, I don't think TT's body of work will earn him more than a bridge deal (thinking JOhansen style). I think he'll improve after this year's sophmore slump though.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
After watching the 2nd game in row,where TT throws the puck away so he won't get hit,it's either time for him to grow a pair or go back to Europe.I don't want to hear that he is22.He is an NHL player for god sake.

He's consistently had the issue of abandoning the play before taking contact. Hopefully he adapts.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He had a bad game but it would be asinine to sit him after a long string of good games. You tell him to get back to playing the game and to stop thinking so much.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
His problem isn't thinking too much. His problem is that he is afraid of contact. You can't be afraid of contact in the NHL playoffs.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
His problem isn't thinking too much. His problem is that he is afraid of contact. You can't be afraid of contact in the NHL playoffs.

This sounds remarkably similar to the narrative spun about Leddy, who is now a first pair defensemen in the NHL.

TT will be just fine.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
I don't buy that he's afraid of contact. Kane does similar stuff - it's just smart, why would we want these guys taking hits? Not everyone is built like Hammer. Once Teuvo's intuition increases, the number of turnovers and bailout plays will decrease and reach closer to Kane's level.

Also, Teuvo has played extremely well in traffic throughout his career. He makes quick plays, that little pass in game 1 of the finals last year which was a deflection of a contested puck comes to mind, but the guy absolutely plays in traffic and congestion just fine.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Because he had a bad game, he should grow a pair or go back to Europe? It blows my mind how some people on this board expect every player to play a perfect game every night.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well not to make excuses for TT but to be fair ...the poster above who says he dies not want to hear about TT only being 22...well in fact TT is only 21 and still does not turn 22 till September. .Basically he is 2 hockey seasons behind Mikka Zibanehad (Ottawa) who turns 23 on April 18th..I live in Ottawa and te fans complain about Zibanehad being a "disappointment" already despite his still relatively young age and his ONLY 51 pts this season (TT with 2 hockey seasons less experience only put up 35 points this season)...so we might temper tge expectations..still very young..still under developed physically. ..Now Zibanehad who is a much bigger man does not need to worry about adding bulk or strength but rather simply getting in proper shape to start the season ..he nerds to work on his conditioning to get faster and have better stamina and athleticism..to that end he has for tge first time in his NHL career decided to stay in Ottawa all off season to work out and condition properly and nutrition properly..It might be wise if TT decided to stay in Chicago after the pkayoffs and nit go back home this summer or not do a Toews Machu Picchu ing around the world on vacation ...BTW an out of condition Zibanehad still managed 51 points to Toews only getting 58 stinking points for tge $10.5 million we pay him..Maybe Toews ought to stay put and work out all summer so he.moght start next season in condition? TT would need a different type of work out and conditioning..he need another full simmer to BULK UP to get stronger to handle the physical play and hitting coming at him in the NHL if he is ever to amount to anything with us or in the league ..My point is TT still very young and not yet developed to what it takes..But even once you do get to elite level ...to maintain it you cannot slack off..nerd your summers to work out Jagr-like with dedication to keep at an elite level ...tge NHL is too competitive to plateau or to regress and still claim you are worth keeping or worth your pay level let alone seek raises ...I am.less angry that TT has not yet exploded as a "star" than that Toews took his stardom for granted..slacked off in the summer and look what happened this year.#19 needs to re-sedicate and young guns like Zibanehad and TT need to Dedicate this summer to correct their deficiencies I'm their respective cases...IF TT does that then he ought to make a great leap forward next season (going from 36 to 51 points for him would be a start and then hit full stardom the season after that ..IF expect that was how the Hawks timetabledbhim anyway...for now he by a young kid undersized who needs a bit more time to develop properly if he can...But the alternative to sitting him now us what ?Rasmussen ? WHAT we might gain physically size wise and defensively is tempered by very little offensive ability ..So I guess we stick with TT and his current flaws and live with it as developing experience...

If after 2 more hockey seasons there bis no growth to TT'S game then the jettison decision could be made ..but given his youth we should try helping him.improve but also we need to see him want to help himself by doing the work to bulk up fully this summer instead of reporting again playing like a 98 pound weakling. AS for Toews...well you know ...if he is "satisfied" with his slacker 82 hame regular season where his "star" faded and summer slacks again..well then let the bashing start early next season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That's why he needs a body like mash on his line of course, solves all the complaints. I don't get some things people think they see sometimes.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Always in the mix, as in he'll pay the price. You must pay the price in playoff hockey. TT has a tendency to not always do that. Shaw ALWAYS does. That's where his value comes in for this team.

To me, it's all about balance, not just building the most skilled team. Example, Anisimov is the perfect number 2 center for Kane/Panarin. Why? He will do the dirty things. I think if you asked the team who is more important come playoff time, we'd be surprised to see the results re Shaw versus TT. Shaw might win in a landslide.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Always in the mix, as in he'll pay the price. You must pay the price in playoff hockey. TT has a tendency to not always do that. Shaw ALWAYS does. That's where his value comes in for this team.

To me, it's all about balance, not just building the most skilled team. Example, Anisimov is the perfect number 2 center for Kane/Panarin. Why? He will do the dirty things. I think if you asked the team who is more important come playoff time, we'd be surprised to see the results re Shaw versus TT. Shaw might win in a landslide.

It wouldn't even be close.

BHFan

Aug 9, 2015
So TT is 22 and the Hawks need to keep him around because there might be some potential there. And Shaw is 24 and he's already reached his potential and can't possibly become any better than he already is? Why aren't we talking about Shaw's potential? I think he's played much better this year than last. He got bounced around in the line-up and was always able to adapt. Though he may not have been effective in some spots, he was never afraid to get in there and work. I think he's the hardest working guy on the ice. Always playing with intensity. There some games in the RS where he seemed to be the only guy on the ice who was interested in playing the game. There aren't many teams out there who wouldn't snap up a guy like Shaw. He's got a highlight reel hours long, led off by his famous head-butt goal. Who does something like that? Someone who is 100% into the game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So TT is 22 and the Hawks need to keep him around because there might be some potential there. And Shaw is 24 and he's already reached his potential and can't possibly become any better than he already is? Why aren't we talking about Shaw's potential? I think he's played much better this year than last. He got bounced around in the line-up and was always able to adapt. Though he may not have been effective in some spots, he was never afraid to get in there and work. I think he's the hardest working guy on the ice. Always playing with intensity. There some games in the RS where he seemed to be the only guy on the ice who was interested in playing the game. There aren't many teams out there who wouldn't snap up a guy like Shaw. He's got a highlight reel hours long, led off by his famous head-butt goal. Who does something like that? Someone who is 100% into the game.

How many times do people need to clarify this? TT is 21 and will not be 22 till next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad