Tsp series: Montreal Canadiens Prospects Scouting Reports and Rankings

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Mete's transitional abilities and smarts alone are enough to make him a dependable #4 down the road. Whether becomes something more will depend on him reaching another step offensively.

Considering hockey Canada wouldn't use him in an offensive role against his peers I'd be really surprised if he ever posts more than 25-30 points in a season

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Considering hockey Canada wouldn't use him in an offensive role against his peers I'd be really surprised if he ever posts more than 25-30 points in a season
They relied on him heavily to shut down the opposing teams and he played the most minutes, playing late in every periods... I don't think bringing WJC to make Mete look bad is smart, like... at all.

Reactions: David Suzuki

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
2 years could REALLY do it. We need the real high end guys.

Hoping we can get a few more 2nds too from Shaw and Byron, etc.
Yes, we need real high end guys. But I showed you the list of 17 first-round forwards drafted or acquired since 2003, and none have been or likely will be better than Pacioretty.

So I'm all for piling up picks, and I have suggested ways to do so, but with Pacioretty, if we are going to trade him, it can't be just for a 1st rounder. We need to replace a scorer of his calibre. Now if whoever takes Pacioretty also takes Alzner, then we are giving ourselves $9M to replace him, and then it could make sense.

Brownies

I'm higher on Mete than you are, but I think your points are valid. There's definitely a possibility that his offence doesn't translate well in the NHL. If you told me a year or two after his draft that Beaulieu would be where he's at right now, I would not have believed you.

Still, I think he did well for a kid of his age getting thrown to the wolves in those circumstances. The skating is definitely there and I liked his swag in junior. My biggest worry is that his offence never improves because he's not allowed to develop more slowly in the AHL. With so little time to make a move in the NHL, he migh settle too much in a 0 risk 0 offence style of play.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It all depends on how you rank pools

If you like depth in a pool, then there is zero chance this team is at 25

For posters who only look at blue chip guys and don't know a lot about that second tier of prospects, then they are not going to rank Montreal high.

Montreal has only 1 real blue chipper in Kotkaniemi.

But the number of B-Level guys is really high IMO. They are like 15 deep with guys who have real NHL potential. I don't see that in a lot of groups.

Yup. I agree. I also think there is a high likelihood that a few of those B prospects step up and solidify themselves this year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, we need real high end guys. But I showed you the list of 17 first-round forwards drafted or acquired since 2003, and none have been or likely will be better than Pacioretty.

So I'm all for piling up picks, and I have suggested ways to do so, but with Pacioretty, if we are going to trade him, it can't be just for a 1st rounder. We need to replace a scorer of his calibre. Now if whoever takes Pacioretty also takes Alzner, then we are giving ourselves $9M to replace him, and then it could make sense.

Oh yeah not just a 1st. No way. I'd like to try to address the top pairing hole as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad