Tsp series: Montreal Canadiens Prospects Scouting Reports and Rankings

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Re: ''Brook’s absence at the summer showcase should not affect his chances of making the December tournament.''
Is he still injured? I know he wasn't on the ice at the Development camp but I thought this was very short term.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Re: ''Brook’s absence at the summer showcase should not affect his chances of making the December tournament.''
Is he still injured? I know he wasn't on the ice at the Development camp but I thought this was very short term.

Still recovering from the injury according to the press release sent by Hockey Canada last week

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Still recovering from the injury according to the press release sent by Hockey Canada last week

He's training with other Habs :

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We improved it this summer but it's still not looking very good for now imo. We were pretty much dead last before this summer.

No question. It's better. A number of higher round picks does that and so does picking players with higher skill and potential. If you are right on Tinordi you have a no. 4 D man, if you are right on Romanov you have a no. 1, 2 or 3.

But now we need TT to have been right on a few guys. If out of these last 2 drafts he has picked at least 3 top 6 forwards or top 3 D, especially at centre, we might be back in business. Given the poor batting average of late TT has some catching up to do, but finally it looks like the type of players we are picking is correct.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Putting Mete ahead of Juulsen will look hilariously dumb in a year from now.

Juulsen has top 4 potential, Mete peaks as a bottom pair guy lol.
Mete's transitional abilities and smarts alone are enough to make him a dependable #4 down the road. Whether becomes something more will depend on him reaching another step offensively.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The main prospect board seems to think the Habs have the 25th best prospect pool in the league :laugh:

Where would you (or other posters rank them)?

Which teams are they definitely ahead of.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Where would you (or other posters rank them)?

Which teams are they definitely ahead of.
I view Kotka as a blue chipper, top ten in the league and had Ylonen as a solid first round option, with Fonstad too, so my rankings may diverge from people who have a lesser opinion of these three but anything after Carolina, Buffalo and Vancouver is fair game for me. And all three of those are going to be fair game once Dahlin, Mitts, Svech, Necas, EP and Hughes graduate.

I can see the argument for NYR, NYI, Dallas, Colorado and Detroit.

Personally, id have them behind Carolina, Buffalo and id need to evaluate long and hard for the others listed above to know which one Id rank ahead, but then again Im lower than most on Heiskanen, Hughes and Ep

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I don't get what people see in Scherbak. Every time i see him play i just end up getting irritated :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Still a pretty weak list of prospects. But the new comers should hopefully climb the list. Hard to fit them in as of now.
Again, you'd be hard pressed to find a team with two top players at every position, as we do.

Fonstad-Kotkaniemi-Sherbak
Mete-Juulsen
Primeau
Gorniak-Poehling-Ylonen
Brooks-Fleury
McNiven

The only position that is lacking is LW. We have absolutely no depth there, the best player being Fonstad(Whom I like very much.) and Gorniak.

Not many teams have better prospects than Kotkaniemi and not many teams have better prospect depth than we do, and it's obvious why; Four of our last five first round picks are not graduated and are all looking good, the Habs just added a top 3 prospect in this draft, the Habs added NINE top 6 players in the last two draft, 18 picks overall in two years.

Guys like Mete, Primeau and Evans also boost the prospect pool by a lot, when you get to have these 7th and 4th rounder be solidly in your top 10, not because your top ten is weak, but because these players are thriving, it's just a fantasti addition.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Again, you'd be hard pressed to find a team with two top players at every position, as we do.

Fonstad-Kotkaniemi-Sherbak
Mete-Juulsen
Primeau
Gorniak-Poehling-Ylonen
Brooks-Fleury
McNiven

The only position that is lacking is LW. We have absolutely no depth there, the best player being Fonstad(Whom I like very much.) and Gorniak.

Not many teams have better prospects than Kotkaniemi and not many teams have better prospect depth than we do, and it's obvious why; Four of our last five first round picks are not graduated and are all looking good, the Habs just added a top 3 prospect in this draft, the Habs added NINE top 6 players in the last two draft, 18 picks overall in two years.

Guys like Mete, Primeau and Evans also boost the prospect pool by a lot, when you get to have these 7th and 4th rounder be solidly in your top 10, not because your top ten is weak, but because these players are thriving, it's just a fantasti addition.

I agree Kohtka was a large addition. And I think we had a good draft. But I want to see more before from the players recently drafted before I really start evaluating how good the pool from June is. As for Mete and Evans, I’m not as high up on them as others are. But I’m also not saying there isn’t potential there either. And it’s honestly time for Scherbak to start delivering something.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
It all depends on how you rank pools

If you like depth in a pool, then there is zero chance this team is at 25

For posters who only look at blue chip guys and don't know a lot about that second tier of prospects, then they are not going to rank Montreal high.

Montreal has only 1 real blue chipper in Kotkaniemi.

But the number of B-Level guys is really high IMO. They are like 15 deep with guys who have real NHL potential. I don't see that in a lot of groups.

Reactions: WinterLion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad