TSN: TSN's Top 50 Trade Board

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If he’d sign a longer deal for something significantly less than his QO why hasn’t it happened already? He’s 24 and has talent. Why wouldn’t the Canucks sign him to an extension if he’d take less?
Because Canucks are waiting to see if there is a potential deal.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Because nobody will sign him to his QO and he gets more long term security?

I can see that perhaps nobody will sign him to the QO, but he can become a free agent and test the waters with every team, which usually means more money and a potential long-term deal. He would really have to like Vancouver and get a strong offer from them. Both could be true....I won't pretend to have any understanding of his situation. What kind of pajamas did he wear?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Because we’re likely trading him…and just because that’s his qualifying offer doesn’t mean he won’t sign for less lmao. He’s getting a long term deal or bridge deal well under his QO.
It Will be the Vancouver GM that has to take that risk, sign him to his next deal or let him walk as a UFA if he doesn’t accept less than his qualifying offer.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I’m skeptical that’s the case. Who says we’d like to sign you long term but we will try to trade you first? They will be better off signing him than trading him most likely. If they trade him it’s probably as a rental at a rental price.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

If he is certain not to get his QO then he can just go and sign that lower cap deal but as a FA with the added benefit of choosing for himself among offers rather than being limited to one

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
No I don’t. Teams like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and Washington all have their first round pick. Not to mention Colorado has stated they’re not against trading away their 2023 1st.

Having Toronto’s draft pick on there is such a TSN thing to do.

Pittsburgh GM has said multiple times he's keeping it. Unless a homeowner happens then maybe he's open to it.

I think Dubas is prepared to trade it and expect it to. Regardless of it being Toronto and TSN I see it.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Arizona has one cap retention slot and yet they are on this list? Huh. Weird.

It’s probably to build on the rumors of Chychrun to Toronto.

Chychrun @50% for Antropov OR Hoglund and a 4th.

No I don’t. Teams like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and Washington all have their first round pick. Not to mention Colorado has stated they’re not against trading away their 2023 1st.

Having Toronto’s draft pick on there is such a TSN thing to do.

Except no team's 1st is as guaranteed to be traded as TO's. No team's fans and media are as desperate for improvement that demands it be moved. TB, Pittsburgh, and Washington all have cups in our lifetime.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Given the, ah, vociferous responses any mention of him will get from Rangers fans here, I'm a little surprised to see Lundkvist on the list at all.

I do appreciate them doing their job and not lazily including Laine, despite how many clicks his name would get.

With the emergence of Schneider, Lundkvist does have a measure of expendability at this point. Schneider stepped in and added a lot of stability to that third pair. In Nils' defense, he was generally being paired with Nemeth, who has had a very rough start to the season.

Nils was (and is) amongst our top 3 prospects, and many Rangers fans do list him as #1 for us at this point. In HF fashion, there are certainly elements of over-valuation, but I think that's normal for any team's top prospects.

He's not getting the PP time where he would ideally thrive, no does it look especially likely with Fox, and, to a lesser extent, Miller and Trouba ahead of him. He could be a valuable piece in helping us to gain additional top-6 scoring. With Schneider looking as good as he has, it has made everyone breathe a bit easier about the prospect of trading Nils.

Reactions: Viqsi

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
All I know is a lot of teams are going to be disappointed with their returns or just no trade will happen in cases.........GM's are just throwing out overpayments as the asking price hoping some GM pays it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Toronto should be all over that, overpay if you have too. He's on a great contract and is a really good D-man. Now that we are LTIRing Muzzin we can actually afford him.

Better win a cup in that 3 year window because there will be a black cloud coming when it comes time to extending all those the guys in 3/4 years, a lot of futures traded turning the pool week, and the timing of it all happening when the cap is expected to rise (after the NHLPA pays off their outstanding balance). You might think a higher cap is a good thing but Agents/players are also thinking it's a good thing too.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Given the, ah, vociferous responses any mention of him will get from Rangers fans here, I'm a little surprised to see Lundkvist on the list at all.

I do appreciate them doing their job and not lazily including Laine, despite how many clicks his name would get.

I think everyone in the org and in Nils' camp realizes the log jam ahead of him and his value is only going to slide backwards from here. Rangers have been hunting hard for a 2C upgrade so I'd hope his name is heavily involved in those talks to maximize his value.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Chara? CHARA?

If he returns anything higher than a 7th lol........
I reluctantly agree as an Isles’ fan.

My bigger complaint is the incompetence of the list regarding the Isles.

Clutterbuck for example is a certainty to be dealt for significantly more value than Chara. That’s assuming Chara has any value.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This isn't behind a paywall, why isn't the list just posted here somewhere?

That said, there are some guys 30 onwards that could really help a contending club, and many of them wouldn't cost much to acquire.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I mean I know TSN does whatever they can to make it all about Toronto, but come on…..

Other teams have and are willing to trade their 1st rounder :laugh:

It is not only that, they know that any mention about Toronto is the perfect clickbait....

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Curious that a prospect like Bowers is on that list, considering that he's far off the radar having not made his NHL debut 5 years out from his draft year. Perhaps someone knows that he's being shopped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad