News Article: (TSN) Tough times in Hockeytown

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This team was going to be bad playing at 100%. When you add in the man games lost from some of the only good players the current result makes sense.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The goal differential is brutal. Goalies haven't bailed the team out at all. Oh well.

The most notable part is the article identified the only 4 building blocks we have on the roster right now: Larkin, Bert, Mantha, and Hronek.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
The goal differential is brutal. Goalies haven't bailed the team out at all. Oh well.

The most notable part is the article identified the only 4 building blocks we have on the roster right now: Larkin, Bert, Mantha, and Hronek.
I feel Fabbri could reasonably be included. He seems like a solid second liner and in all reality makes up for us missing on a first round pick

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think this article is a logical followup to the previous article "Wings choose the streak over their future" The losing season doesn't bother me at all, knew it was coming.

There are a ton of reasons its awesome to be a wings fan right now. Holland is gone, several pieces of the core are here and looking great, Yzerman is here and he is already actively making moves. we are going to have great lottery odds this year.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Serious question. If we had a prime Dominik Hasek, how much better would this team be?

I won't ask how they'd do with a prime Gretzky taking Larkin's place. Too speculative. Let's just focus on the goaltending.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Serious question. If we had a prime Dominik Hasek, how much better would this team be?

I won't ask how they'd do with a prime Gretzky taking Larkin's place. Too speculative. Let's just focus on the goaltending.

I think this team would have about 6 or 7 more wins with prime Hasek. He was so dominant (pun intended?).

There are a lot of games where the team has lost by 3 or more, but I think a large part of that is the team giving up early when the game is "out of reach." Plain and simple, a great goalie would keep them in a lot more games and keep the energy high. There's a lot of variables, but I think he would make a big difference.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I gave hasek a sv% of .930 and figure he'd start 3/4 of the games, or roughly 23/31 games for us. Given the team's current sv%, we have given up 91 goals in those 23 games. With Hasek? We'd have given up 53. That would tie for the second fewest goals allowed per game with Boston at 2.3.

of course, in those other 8 games with our current sv% we still give up 31 goals.Still, that only drags us down to the 6th or 7th best GA/G in the league at 2.7 (versus the 3.97 we're actually at).

So, yeah, Hasek would make a huge difference.

But Hasek is not going to walk through those doors any time soon. Our best hope, with pretty much any goalie in there, is to employ a system that focuses hard on limiting quality scoring chances and being a defensive beast.

Reactions: 14ari13

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
A rebuilding team at the bottom of the standings? You aren't allowed to be that if you're Detroit. Red Wings are still held to a high standard, but I guess that's one point of pride to hold onto in these tough times.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I gave hasek a sv% of .930 and figure he'd start 3/4 of the games, or roughly 23/31 games for us. Given the team's current sv%, we have given up 91 goals in those 23 games. With Hasek? We'd have given up 53. That would tie for the second fewest goals allowed per game with Boston at 2.3.

of course, in those other 8 games with our current sv% we still give up 31 goals.Still, that only drags us down to the 6th or 7th best GA/G in the league at 2.7 (versus the 3.97 we're actually at).

But Hasek is not going to walk through those doors any time soon. Our best hope, with pretty much any goalie in there, is to employ a system that focuses hard on limiting quality scoring chances and being a defensive beast.

There was a time where this would have invited a hilarious @FlashyG gif...

Dark times in Hockeytown indeed.

I think Hasek would have pretended to be hurt at some point behind this defense.

No Kronwall, No DK for most the year, No Jensen is kind of a big deal thus far, it has to be said. Still Bernier and Howard haven't stolen anything either... There are a lot of factors to being this bad.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Wow. How did figure out all this? It is impressive.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
At this point it's gotten so bad that it's just funny. How many categories can we be dead last in? All of them?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I feel Fabbri could reasonably be included. He seems like a solid second liner and in all reality makes up for us missing on a first round pick

Who is the 1st we missed on? Too early to say we missed on Ras or Zadina so I hope that isn't who you mean.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Who is the 1st we missed on? Too early to say we missed on Ras or Zadina so I hope that isn't who you mean.
At this point I don’t have much hope for Svechnikov ever becoming as good as Fabbri was in his short stint here. Granted I don’t think it’s all his fault and still think he MAY become a decent third liner. For a team starved of talent though, that is an underwhelming return for a 19th OA.

I for one think Svechnikov will never play more than 100 games in the Red and White, though I would love to be wrong.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
78912337_3259528784122411_6298359807741001728_n.jpg

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Considering Hasek's prime included his years with the post-Lafontaine Sabres, whose best winger was Miroslav Satan, best center was Stu Barnes/Michael Peca or an over the hill Doug Gilmour, and best D was Alexei Zhitnik, probably a significant difference.

That said, if the Wings did have a prime Hasek right now they're probably better off selling him high like the Sabres did, so they can build into what the Sabres briefly became about 5/6 years later when they had just good goaltending (Miller) but now some legitimate top line/elite talent elsewhere on the ice (Vanek, Drury, Briere, Campbell, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad