News Article: TSN: The Blackhawks will regret this': Hockey world reacts as Senators snag DeBrincat

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
What does age have to do with anything when he has 2 years left on his contract?

Quite a big assumption but I think it was clear they weren’t comfortable with him extending long term or the price he would command.

So considering that, letting an asset continue to depreciate until you are forced to let him go is counter intuitive to your rebuild.
We're definitely wading into murky, hard-to-prove-either-way waters, but these two tidbits I've read recently...

DeBrincat was one of the first players to publicly voice his support of the rebuild and the organizational direction, no matter how long it took. He's a loyal guy at heart and was prepared to play a significant leadership role throughout the process.

"I didn't necessarily see this coming," DeBrincat said. "I saw the rumors and stuff, and I'd had a couple conversations with Kyle, I knew it was a possibility, but I was ready to be in Chicago for a long time. That was just the way I thought about it. I've never been traded before in any league — I kind of stick to the same teams for the most part — so this is a different experience for me."

....make me think it wasn't outside the realm of possibility that he'd have been willing to stick around.

(Source)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
There is a real risk he only plays 1.5 seasons for Ottawa and we are out the 7th overall but idgaf about picks anymore especially after the scouts showed their Colors with Boucher

Reactions: Agent Zub

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The lengths people will go to be try and be debbie downers has to at least match my efforts to be overly excited…. What the f*** am I reading?????

The DeBrincat trade was a home run for us, case closed. Also, f*** that 7OA it was a little bitch anyways.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I still don't understand why Chicago would trade him. Even if you go scorched earth rebuild, he's still a young guy, and you do need to spend a few bucks to get to the cap floor. And you need a few decent players to get the fans to show up (Chicago knows all about half empty arenas during their elder Wirtz years!). And it's not like Alex is the kind of player that could carry a team on his own and prevent them from bottoming out by himself (hell, McJesus could barely do that).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
They got the guy they wanted at 7OA. Korchinski should be good for them. Plus they got Ludwinski and still have a 3rd next yr. It could turn out ok for them.
If they’re tearing it down and don’t plan on contending in the next few yrs then it’s not such a big deal. They’re going to get more 1sts through trades.

Remember when we traded mark stone for brannstrom and a second?
They did better than us here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So what were the Hawk’s options?

They obviously took the best offer. They had to trade Debrincat. The return gets smaller and smaller every day that he is a Blackhawk and keeping him is counter-intuitive to their rebuild.

Should they have gone for a different package like maybe 2023 first round pick + roster player + b prospect? Maybe. But roster player just gets you back to where you started.

Think of what it takes for a team to acquire seventh overall.

What if Debrincat went for
2022 23rd overall
2022 24th overall
(Just estimated what it would take to move up to seventh)
2022 39th overall
2023 3rd round pick

Would you have been happier with that? The Hawks at this point need to add high end talent. And they did just that with seventh overall.

I mean sure maybe 2023 first round pick + Brown + Jarventie and you flip Brown at the deadline, but they are pretty much dead on value wise.

"The Hawks at this point need to add high end talent."

That qoute is correct trading a 24 year old 40 goal scorer for scraps doesn't do That

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
"The Hawks at this point need to add high end talent."

That qoute is correct trading a 24 year old 40 goal scorer for scraps doesn't do That

More accurate - the Hawks need to add high end talent that fits within their next competitive cycle.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I still don't understand why Chicago would trade him. Even if you go scorched earth rebuild, he's still a young guy, and you do need to spend a few bucks to get to the cap floor. And you need a few decent players to get the fans to show up (Chicago knows all about half empty arenas during their elder Wirtz years!). And it's not like Alex is the kind of player that could carry a team on his own and prevent them from bottoming out by himself (hell, McJesus could barely do that).
Scorched earth rebuild = everyone must go.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hawks could be aiming to snag Connor Bedard next year. So really suck for a year and try and get 1st OA.

And the Cap recapture of Keith put them in wedge, the Hawks have made a lot of bad decisions over the years. So many bad trades. Debrincat is another one

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Hawks could be aiming to snag Connor Bedard next year. So really suck for a year and try and get 1st OA.
That's the only reasonable explanation as to why they felt necessary to make this deal now rather than hold on to him. They want in on the Bedard/Michkov sweepstakes, and I don't blame them. Would suck if they or Montreal get him though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
More accurate - the Hawks need to add high end talent that fits within their next competitive cycle.

The thing is Debrincat is 24 even if it took 4 years to rebuild he's still only 28 he would have fit the next competitive window

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

DeBricant is a good player and all, but I don't see him magically pushing the Hawks out of a lotto pick range by himself. The number of players that are capable of doing that in the NHL you can count on one hand.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
DeBricant is a good player and all, but I don't see him magically pushing the Hawks out of a lotto pick range by himself. The number of players that are capable of doing that in the NHL you can count on one hand.
It's not just DeBrincat but also Kirby Dach and who knows who else. I bet Kane is gone soon. They are tearing it completely down.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The thing is Debrincat is 24 even if it took 4 years to rebuild he's still only 28 he would have fit the next competitive window
Why risk him not signing and losing him in 2 years though? You have a top ten pick available for a guy you might lose for nothing or risk downgrading from 7 to 15-30 if he's RFA/UFA.

Plus can use that 6M cap space and get another Marleau 1st round pick or 2nd round pick + prospect and increase your rebuild success chance. Look at Ottawa, were at rebuild years ...?5. Still waiting to not be a bottom 5 team. Selling Stone a year earlier sure would have been nice to haul in am extra pick or prospect.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why risk him not signing and losing him in 2 years though? You have a top ten pick available for a guy you might lose for nothing or risk downgrading from 7 to 15-30 if he's RFA/UFA.

Plus can use that 6M cap space and get another Marleau 1st round pick or 2nd round pick + prospect and increase your rebuild success chance. Look at Ottawa, were at rebuild years ...?5. Still waiting to not be a bottom 5 team. Selling Stone a year earlier sure would have been nice to haul in am extra pick or prospect.
Why is the assumption they'd lose him? He said he was good with going through a rebuild and expected to be in Chicago for the long haul. I don't think there's any reason to assume they couldn't re-sign him.

There's reasons it made sense to move on, a top 10 pick is significant, they want to be terrible next season for a shot at 1oa, the cap space cleared can be used on UFA or other players to mitigate the loss, but losing him doesn't appear to be one of them.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, losing Dach was an odd move, as well. I definitely see Kane and Toews going, along with anyone over age 30. But it's odd to move the kids.
I think the Dach move was because they didn’t love his progression

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Based on that logic shouldn't you be worried about that exact same thing? You said it yourself he's only got 2 years left

CostPerRebuild

Sep 20, 2018
This accelerates the Hawks rebuild in the sense that this will have the effect of getting Kane and Toews to ask out.

No Sundin situation in the windy city.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Based on that logic shouldn't you be worried about that exact same thing? You said it yourself he's only got 2 years left

I think the idea is that Ottawa should be more competitive right away than Chicago and it might be easier for him to stay if the Sens take some big strides.

It’s still a gamble, but if it wasn’t, he wouldn’t have been available for a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad