News Article: TSN: The Blackhawks will regret this': Hockey world reacts as Senators snag DeBrincat

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Off pure value the blackhawks have done fine… they probably suspect they wouldn't have kept him when he hits UFA and better to get two good prospects in the system now to accelerate their rebuild vs taking those prospects in 2024.

There is a good chance 7OA is better than the first round pick of a team acquiring him at the deadline.

This will take a few years for most fans to figure out like the EK, MS, JPG deals here.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chicago Blackhawks are the new Ottawa Senators right now. New GM blowing up the team with questionable trades.

I’d say more accurately the Blackhawk’s fans are the new senators fans … not able to see the value in the trade and panicking. It won’t be as obvious as the fan reversal on EK for Norris/Stutzle but in two years they will be happy with this deal.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don't see how it's that bad for them if they weren't optimistic about signing him. Not to say that's the case, but they're rebuilding, so it could have been a hard sell and they are likely just getting ahead of it.

Reactions: playasRus

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I’d say more accurately the Blackhawk’s fans are the new senators fans … not able to see the value in the trade and panicking. It won’t be as obvious as the fan reversal on EK for Norris/Stutzle but in two years they will be happy with this deal.

Imagine getting that return for Josh Norris right now and thinking, "wow, there's value here!" Chicago could have got more and they are rightfully pissed. That's a bit more accurate

Reactions: guyzeur

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Imagine getting that return for Josh Norris right now and thinking, "wow, there's value here!" Chicago could have got more and they are rightfully pissed. That's a bit more accurate

Josh isn’t a UFA in two years … it’s very different. Fans rarely like these deals … give it half a season for them to know their prospects better. They should see them at the U20 etc.

They better be right on their selection.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
So what? Getting a 40 goal scorer that you're guaranteed to have for 2 years before UFA for a 7th overall pick in a weak draft is highway robbery. No rational observer has looked at this trade and thought it was a good return
I disagree … your sentiment is in line with the 4000 posts that hated the EK deal.

The hawks prob waste AD’s season next year and he’s gone shortly there after. There aren’t many top 7 picks available from contending teams looking to add pieces like him. Let’s judge it in 6 months .

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I disagree … your sentiment is in line with the 4000 posts that hated the EK deal.

The hawks prob waste AD’s season next year and he’s gone shortly there after. There aren’t many top 7 picks available from contending teams looking to add pieces like him. Let’s judge it in 6 months .

Karlsson deal was different and took an epic collapse from San Jose plus a lottery win to make it a great return. And I didn't mind that trade when it happened, especially remember cheering on the Sharks to make the final so that Ottawa would get another first rounder.

Contending teams would give up a good prospect to add DeBrincat AND a late first round pick in 2023 which is a way better draft. Even with that being a late first, it's better than what they got.

They didn't give him away, but the return was lacklustre

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Karlsson deal was different and took an epic collapse from San Jose plus a lottery win to make it a great return. And I didn't mind that trade when it happened, especially remember cheering on the Sharks to make the final so that Ottawa would get another first rounder.

Contending teams would give up a good prospect to add DeBrincat AND a late first round pick in 2023 which is a way better draft. Even with that being a late first, it's better than what they got.

They didn't give him away, but the return was lacklustre

It depends on who KK becomes. It’s really hard to get top 2 DMAN and if Korchisnki becomes one it will be fine. You package above wouldnt secure a top 2D and they think they got one in KK.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
don't remember the last time I was this pumped for the Senators season to start.

So pumped :)
Many people say that every season tbh

Defense is still a big question mark along with the team chemistry (how they actually perform as a one big unit)

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
So what were the Hawk’s options?

They obviously took the best offer. They had to trade Debrincat. The return gets smaller and smaller every day that he is a Blackhawk and keeping him is counter-intuitive to their rebuild.

Should they have gone for a different package like maybe 2023 first round pick + roster player + b prospect? Maybe. But roster player just gets you back to where you started.

Think of what it takes for a team to acquire seventh overall.

What if Debrincat went for
2022 23rd overall
2022 24th overall
(Just estimated what it would take to move up to seventh)
2022 39th overall
2023 3rd round pick

Would you have been happier with that? The Hawks at this point need to add high end talent. And they did just that with seventh overall.

I mean sure maybe 2023 first round pick + Brown + Jarventie and you flip Brown at the deadline, but they are pretty much dead on value wise.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
It depends on who KK becomes. It’s really hard to get top 2 DMAN and if Korchisnki becomes one it will be fine. You package above wouldnt secure a top 2D and they think they got one in KK.
You might be right in saying Chicago got good value for Debrincat given their goals at this point. Even if KK doesn't pan out and Kaspar or a later pick does, you could argue Chicago received good value but selected poorly.

Are you suggesting that Ottawa made a bad deal? Even if KK becomes Bobby Orr I believe the Senators made a good trade given (what I assume is) their immediate goals.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You might be right in saying Chicago got good value for Debrincat given their goals at this point. Even if KK doesn't pan out and Kaspar or a later pick does, you could argue Chicago received good value but selected poorly.

Are you suggesting that Ottawa made a bad deal? Even if KK becomes Bobby Orr I believe the Senators made a good trade given (what I assume is) their immediate goals.

From a purely value and years of control point of view - yes, Ottawa made a bad deal.

We only have two years of control of a small, prolific scoring winger. KK may be a top 2D man for 15 years.

That being said we can flip the player too and we desperately need to play some meaningful games. I hope we get good value out for Formy, Brann, Brann or whoever Else we trade.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
From a purely value and years of control point of view - yes, Ottawa made a bad deal.

We only have two years of control of a small, prolific scoring winger. KK may be a top 2D man for 15 years.

That being said we can flip the player too and we desperately need to play some meaningful games. I hope we get good value out for Formy, Brann, Brann or whoever Else we trade.
I understand your point. My concept of value in this trade includes the concept of timing and goals. I believe the Senators as a business need to show immediate improvement.. From this angle they received good value in this deal. Not unlike trades such as Iginla for Brett hull (If I recall correctly).

And of course you are correct. KK may be a top 2Dman for 15 years. Debrincat might be a 40+ goal scorer for eight years. Etc.

Given Ottawa's stage in the rebuild would you not agree the deal is good? Had you been Dorion would you have declined this trade?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I understand your point. My concept of value in this trade includes the concept of timing and goals. I believe the Senators as a business need to show immediate improvement.. From this angle they received good value in this deal. Not unlike trades such as Iginla for Brett hull (If I recall correctly).

And of course you are correct. KK may be a top 2Dman for 15 years. Debrincat might be a 40+ goal scorer for eight years. Etc.

Given Ottawa's stage in the rebuild would you not agree the deal is good? Had you been Dorion would you have declined this trade?

I agree with you that the Sens needed to accelerate their success on the ice. I would have made the deal.

There should be an excitement and buzz around the team. Another piece or two and we’ll be able to fairly evaluate DJ etc. he’s close to having a good 4 line hockey team and hopefully the fans respond and fill the building.

I’d go a step further and trade Formy or 2023 1RD if it was for a top 1-3 dman.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
They obviously took the best offer. They had to trade Debrincat. The return gets smaller and smaller every day that he is a Blackhawk and keeping him is counter-intuitive to their rebuild.
I'm not sure it would've been, though? DeBrincat is 24, loved Chicago and could've been a great, still-effective vet to lead the young guys out the other side of the rebuild. Chicago beat writers have been suggesting similar, especially Lazerus over on The Athletic. And they projected to be plenty bad with or without DeBrincat... I guess I understand the logic in the grand scheme, but it's always felt like the timeline and the pressure to get a deal done was fairly self-inflicted on their behalf.

Reactions: Cosmix

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I'm not sure it would've been, though? DeBrincat is 24, loved Chicago and could've been a great, still-effective vet to lead the young guys out the other side of the rebuild. Chicago beat writers have been suggesting similar, especially Lazerus over on The Athletic. And they projected to be plenty bad with or without DeBrincat... I guess I understand the logic in the grand scheme, but it's always felt like the timeline and the pressure to get a deal done was fairly self-inflicted on their behalf.
What does age have to do with anything when he has 2 years left on his contract?

Quite a big assumption but I think it was clear they weren’t comfortable with him extending long term or the price he would command.

So considering that, letting an asset continue to depreciate until you are forced to let him go is counter intuitive to your rebuild.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
DeBrincat is a fantastic addition to the team. My fondest hope is that, through watching him play, Trent Mann will come to realize that hockey IQ and compete level are more important attributes than size.

As opposed to drafting Ridly Grieg in the first round?

assennayo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad