TSN: TSN releases offseason trade list. mentions a karlsson for subban rumor and more

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Its the fact they have to clear room to resign Ellis after this coming season, and Josi the season after. Its to save money later on, and Karlsson would only be on contract for next season and they could let him walk to free space for those signings.
They arent trading Subban for Karlsson to clear cap space in a year by not re-signing Karlsson... No matter how good EK is, you dont give up Subban for one year of him, not happening.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Surprised that Zuccarello on that list. Before you reply he isn’t good enough note that Namestnikov in on that list.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Since Subban has a cap hit of $9,000,000 I can't see a team willing take on that whole contract.

Then they won't get him. 9M/year is the norm for a top-5 D. Karlsson and Doughty are looking for 10M+.

I'm not even sure Preds are looking to trade him. If they trade him, in order to sign Josi at 8M and Ellis at 7M, they are really stupid.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Seems more like TSN's just trying to drum up interest in their programming, by spinning all these false narratives.

Are there documented reports that the Preds are even shopping Subban?

The only rumor going around was started by a Montreal radio host and was walked back once it reached bigger outlets. Nashville MAY move on from Subban a few years from now, but it doesn't make sense while our window is wide open.

We certainly aren't moving him for a year of Karlsson so we end up with Ellis, Ekholm, Josi and nothing two years from now.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Weber for Subban then Subban for karlsson.

What world is this?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Dorion's backup plan if no other team steps up with an amazing package, and if Karlsson won't take the old Melnyk approved hometown discount.

NSH gets the better player, OTT gets the cheaper player that is the closest thing to a lateral move they can find. The Senators are apparently on a 5 year plan, Subban is signed for 10/10/8/8 in real money, so it's a pretty good fit from that perspective.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I don't understand why Nashville would trade Subban for Karlsson if the issue is that they to sign Ellis and Josi. Unless Karlsson is a rental for them, wouldn't that be costlier for them?

I would guess that is part where the author's own opinion/speculation got mixed up with the rumour because it makes absolutely no sense.

I can't imagine NSH would be trading Subban for Karlsson without intending to extend Karlsson. If Nashville makes that trade, they do it to upgrade since Karlsson is the better player, or because the inconsistent rumblings about Subban wearing out his welcome are actually true.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Since Subban has a cap hit of $9,000,000 I can't see a team willing take on that whole contract.

9M for a cornerstone RD is fine, especially with the cap at 80M+.

The going rate for a superstar player these days is in the 9M-10.5M range, and that'll likely increase this summer and the next one. Subban is borderline underpaid, and that'll become increasingly evident once Doughty and Karlsson both sign contracts that could exceed 11M.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I'd hope LA is in on Domi, Galchenyuk, Burakovsky, Namestnikov, Reinhart.

Order of trade wish list...

1) Galchenyuk
2) Burakovsky
3) Namestnikov
4) Reinhart
5) Domi

What would they take?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad