TSN Overdrive and other Toronto Sports Media (v3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The media goes out of their way to properly pronounce euro names while happily butchering mangiapane. :laugh:

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Noodles needs to get hit by a TTC bus.

You can hear how painful it is for him to defend his incorrect points as he can't admit Toronto outplayed Boston.

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015

You can hear how painful it is for him to defend his incorrect points as he can't admit Toronto outplayed Boston.
Noodles trying to talk anything besides hockey is the most painful thing I’ve heard in my life on radio.... he adds nothing to the show other than a leafs bias and a goalie is god attitude.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

It felt like he was trying to play devil's advocate to bring some balance to the show but it was difficult. He had no real ground on which to stand.

One thing that did strike me is he seemed to place a lot of weight to about a 10 or 15 minute span in the 2nd. Felt a bit like he watched it as a coach. Freak out about a mistake but more or less overlook a good play. And he used to be a coach.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Dude was backpedaling like no other once Ferraro and Dreger both said the Leafs played a near perfect road game.

To the poster who said Noodles seems like he has anger management issues, just look no further to how his career ended.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
It felt like he was trying to play devil's advocate to bring some balance to the show but it was difficult. He had no real ground on which to stand.

One thing that did strike me is he seemed to place a lot of weight to about a 10 or 15 minute span in the 2nd. Felt a bit like he watched it as a coach. Freak out about a mistake but more or less overlook a good play. And he used to be a coach.

Yappiddy, yappiddy, yap, yap, yap! "Let's open up the pone lines and talk about how great these Leafs are! It's The New and Improved Fergie Olver Leafs Show- How 'bout those Maple Leafs! It's the Fergie Olver Leafs Booster Show" All love all the time with a few calls to fire Dubas because he is bringing too much professionalism to the Leafs front offce resulting in all of this embarrassingly excessive skill on the team - and then all gushing love for Leafs Yappiddy, yappiddy, yap, yap, yap

There needs to be balance, can't just be Leafs Praise on Leafs Lunch! Note- Boosterism is not journalism, but Slagism isn't journalism either! There is problem when objectivity goes out and debate is kind of contrived for radio and perhaps professional broadcasters do it all the time and we do not notice, but phony objectivity simply to have some debate where none is really needed maybe falls on the producers too, and maybe they need to move it on somehow, perhaps find a different way to analyze the game or have a debate- from a different approach!

Do note that the Leafs PR department has the good sense to keep everything boring as can be, with the Bull Durham cliche list fully memorized and rightfully so, and so controversy sort of has to be made up, and why not a designated Leafs hater to do it? Why not? It's an important job, and fans can take sides etc. The trick is to find legitimate criticism : Boston looked scary when they got their cycle game going- that would be a fair point worth talking about, raises concern. On the plus side, Leafs victories do not have the newsworthiness, generally speaking, and maybe stories about victories do not get the creative juices flowing as an exciting opportunity for postmortem , um, soul searching. Perhaps Overdrive and sports radio in general is more about opinion pieces and op-ed type stories than proposing a hypnotists and having a thesis statement and fact based analysis the way perhaps good objective journalism may. But hey, it's happened before - maybe I am full of crap!

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yappiddy, yappiddy, yap, yap, yap! "Let's open up the pone lines and talk about how great these Leafs are! It's The New and Improved Fergie Olver Leafs Show- How 'bout those Maple Leafs! It's the Fergie Olver Leafs Booster Show" All love all the time with a few calls to fire Dubas because he is bringing too much professionalism to the Leafs front offce resulting in all of this embarrassingly excessive skill on the team - and then all gushing love for Leafs Yappiddy, yappiddy, yap, yap, yap

There needs to be balance, can't just be Leafs Praise on Leafs Lunch! Note- Boosterism is not journalism, but Slagism isn't journalism either! There is problem when objectivity goes out and debate is kind of contrived for radio and perhaps professional broadcasters do it all the time and we do not notice, but phony objectivity simply to have some debate where none is really needed maybe falls on the producers too, and maybe they need to move it on somehow, perhaps find a different way to analyze the game or have a debate- from a different approach!

Do note that the Leafs PR department has the good sense to keep everything boring as can be, with the Bull Durham cliche list fully memorized and rightfully so, and so controversy sort of has to be made up, and why not a designated Leafs hater to do it? Why not? It's an important job, and fans can take sides etc. The trick is to find legitimate criticism : Boston looked scary when they got their cycle game going- that would be a fair point worth talking about, raises concern. On the plus side, Leafs victories do not have the newsworthiness, generally speaking, and maybe stories about victories do not get the creative juices flowing as an exciting opportunity for postmortem , um, soul searching. Perhaps Overdrive and sports radio in general is more about opinion pieces and op-ed type stories than proposing a hypnotists and having a thesis statement and fact based analysis the way perhaps good objective journalism may. But hey, it's happened before - maybe I am full of crap!

Why is it always extremes?

To give the entire credit to Andersen like Noodles tried to do is just as stupid. It ignores the 1st line's play against Bergeron. It ignores the feistiness of the 4th line. It ignores the contributions of everybody but the goalie. It's literally a tried and tested tactic of HFBoards trolls to downplay wins but giving all the credit to the goalie.

There is a middle ground where you can give the leafs credit for playing a good game but raise doubts about the play of Dermott and Gardiner. You can also remind fans that one game isn't enough. Those are all fair points to talk about. Dismissing Thursday night's game as an Andersen game is just stupid.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

I will say this. My first gut thoughts after Game 1 and even mentioned as such in my post game post was A. just a solid game all around, as in no one player was terrible to me (which is rare) and B. Freddy was our best player.

He didn't make any 'other-worldy' highlight of the night 10 bell type of stops, but he made a lot of excellent ones and to Noodles' credit the game could have definitely went another way very easily there before the 3rd.

That being said, I still think Noodles was simply ignoring the great efforts up and down the lineup and to my earlier point, while there were a few mistakes and turnovers here and there there weren't a barrage of them which unfortunately is almost something I've come to expect.

So yes, Freddy was easily our best player Game 1 imo, which Hayes wouldn't really give credit for, but Noodles also exaggerated the fact that despite him being our best player, he did NOT steal us the game. That just didn't happen, which was the vibe Noodles was giving off. But lmao at Hayes and O-dogg for calling him out and not having it, I loved that back and forth.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Just catching up on yesterday's show.

-Noodles trying so hard to push his anti-Leafs agenda
-O shutting down any reference to analytics

Never change :biglaugh:

That bit was funny about the analytics - he doesn't even try for a second to be someone he isn't hah. And then the whole "pecker pizza" bit had me dying on my commute. Love these guys.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Hope they smarten up and just fire Noodles. Has no hockey knowledge outside of goaltending. Adds nothing to the show.

Just add an anti leaf radio guy in place of him instead of this fool who claims be a realist, his fakeness to lie about his real feelings about the leafs are annoying. Brings the show down.

Reactions: AreBe

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Hope they smarten up and just fire Noodles. Has no hockey knowledge outside of goaltending. Adds nothing to the show.

Just add an anti leaf radio guy in place of him instead of this fool who claims be a realist, his fakeness to lie about his real feelings about the leafs are annoying. Brings the show down.

Hmm hmm hmm. hmmmmm. Maybe a columnist and not a beat reporter journalist?

A real Stephen Brunt genius type guy who can string paragraphs together and is well reasoned, and not just some yipping Leafs this, Leafs that, slagism, bossterism clown

Someone who is clever and witty and writes poetically, (kidding!) and not just some Andi attack machine etc, doesn't always have to be a former player who says, "Well, as you did not play you do not know!" Someone who is disarming and opinionated, rather than some verbal pugilist

and maybe someone who is both a graduate of journalism and broadcasting, but more of an opinion than fact checker role perhaps that will turn our frowns upside down!

Reactions: phillipmike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad