TSN analysts dub Nathan MacKinnon the best player in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Is that supposed to be impressive? He literally stopped up and picked his spot for 2 seconds lol. McDavid has a mediocre shot, you have to be a huge homer to not see that.
Theres no logic in your argument.

No one argued Mackinnon shoots the puck harder. He has more upper body strenght.

McDavid has ridiculous aim and isnt a slouch too, except McDavid with that "mediocre" shot still outscores Mackinnon every season ..... lol

its a dumb argument to bring up when despite shooting the puck harder .. he is still being outscored ......

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System

No one argued Mackinnon shoots the puck harder. He has more upper body strenght.

McDavid has ridiculous aim and isnt a slouch too, except McDavid with that "mediocre" shot still outscores Mackinnon every season ..... lol

its a dumb argument to bring up when despite shooting the puck harder .. he is still being outscored ......
His assuptions are strange. For instance harder =/= better. Lots of fringe NHLers, even beer league guys can shoot the puck very hard. Accuracy, and knowing when to shoot are more important. McDavid blows Mackinnon away in that regard. Mack is a bit to shot happy, my biggest criticism of his game.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I think and this might just be my opinion but I think people who do these lists just get tired of putting McDavid number one. MAybe it gets people talking (this thread has 19 pages) maybe it gains traction with hits/views,

Mcdavids still number one.

though MacKinnon proved a lot this year. I mean his points per game had a incredible shift when rantanen joined his line, he was always averaging well over a PPG but before that it was just over half a point per game, but then....his performances In the playoffs and his performance when rantanen and Landeskog were injured showed he’s not just taking his game to another level, he is that other level. I can completely see why he’s ranked as high as he is. I think he’s probably second best. Draisaitl I just think is so hard to rate you could say he’s first or third or fifth and might be right. He hasn’t had a large enough sample size awAy from McDavid (not that it’s his fault) to properly Judge, But at the same time his accomplishments can’t be ignored. Mark messier was still mark messier when Gretzky was on his team. But when Gretzky left messier won a cup with Edmonton which spoke a lot. I think
It’s just easier to leave Draisaitl off the list unless he stays at Center. Kind of like Giroux isn’t on these lists as he moved. I’m not entirely sure if Draisaitl is still on the wing or not I didn’t pay much attention to the play ins this year.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This reminds me of when they put Toews ahead of Crosby. It was laughable then and it's laughable now. Hockey media tends to have major recency bias.

You could say the same for HF.

when rantanen leads the league in scoring for two months he’s better then McDavid (on here) same with Matthews every first two weeks of October lol. Also Kucherov goes from being the best player in the league to left off top 5-10 lists the most? As you say recency bias.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
ICYMI, Nathan MacKinnon doesn't have a Cup either. He hasn't even been past the second round, which is... the same as McDavid. That means it's completely valid to look at, well, everything else- and not only McDavid but Draisaitl beats him in every conceivable way.

If you disagree with that, please point out the time MacKinnon a) won a Hart b) won a Lindsay c) won the Art Ross or Richard d) made a post-season First All-Star Team. Should be easy given he's the best player in the world, right?

None of what you've said here is an argument in MacKinnon's favor.
Argue all you want.

I watched them both play. If I could only have one on my team......given the choice I would take Nate.

Sorry if that does not check out with the stats you looked up on your smart phone.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
His assuptions are strange. For instance harder =/= better. Lots of fringe NHLers, even beer league guys can shoot the puck very hard. Accuracy, and knowing when to shoot are more important. McDavid blows Mackinnon away in that regard. Mack is a bit to shot happy, my biggest criticism of his game.

Why would being shot happy be considered a negative? Shots equal scoring chances. Even when shots aren't going in they are creating rebounds, deflection opportunities, and disruption in the offensive zone. It's a reason why MacKinnon is so effective from long range. Hell, a lot of Ovechkin's assists are a result from him just firing everything at the net.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Actually, given that awards and scoring titles are a function of how a player has played, they do in fact reflect that McDavid is the better player.

At this point it's Avs fans plus a few talking heads from TSN who believe MacKinnon is better. That the rest of the hockey world at large disagrees should give you pause. Perhaps ask yourself if maybe just maybe the team you cheer for is coloring your view, and whether there's something your "eye test" is missing.
they are both so good it comes down to who would you prefer.

For a seven game series if I could only pick one for my team........i would take MacKinnon.

Similarly I would take Mario over Wayne

Crosby over Ovechkin.

But I would have no good argument with anyone who took the exact opposite. Cases can be made both ways.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

no logic McCoy

"God dammit Spock Im a doctor not a hockey scout"!

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I would have to agree at this point in time. MacKinnon brings 90-95% of McDavid's offense, but he can incorporate that with actually being a fairly responsible two-way player.

McDavid may have more skill and talent, but until he can bring it to the table while also playing the center position without being a major liability defensively, MacKinnon has earned the title.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
McDavid is the more skilled forward, but MacKinnon is easily the better two way all around forward. His defensive abilities blow McDavids out of the water.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Ah yes, the ultimate authority on all things hockey, and anonymous online poll...
Exactly what a huge homer would say. I guess 75% of people are wrong and you're just smarter than everyone else.

You can argue McDavid is a better player but shot is not even debatable.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Where do people figure Marchand fits in on these rankings? Some stats below that he's been posting are incredible:

Regular Season (2016-2020):
Points - 5th but 3rd in points/game behind only McDavid and Kucherov
Goals - 10th (6 ahead of MacKinnon in 20 less games played)
Assists - 5th behind McDavid, Kucherov, Kane and Wheeler
+/- 2nd among forwards at +83 (first place is Panarin at +91)
Game winning goals - 1st with 30 (Kucherov is 2nd with 28)
Shorthanded points - 1st with 19
ES points - 6th

Playoffs (2016-2020):
Points: 1st with 56 points, Kuznetsov is 2nd, Kucherov 3rd.
PPG: 15th, 1.02ppg (MacKinnon is 1st with 1.33ppg)
Game winning goals: Tied-3rd

In addition to those offensive stats, he's arguably a top 3 penalty killer and has a reputation for being a strong 3 zone players, not just one zone like some of the guys ahead of him (not that being a 1 zone player is a bad thing, if you're putting up 100 points or whatever).

Just curious to see where HF thinks he really should be rated.

Reactions: NyQuil

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid is the more skilled forward, but MacKinnon is easily the better two way all around forward. His defensive abilities blow McDavids out of the water.

Love how blanket statements get thrown around. McDavid is not a defensive liability nor does Mackinnons defensive abilities blow McDavid out. McDavid is usually among league leaders in takeaways and uses his body extremely well to gain possession of pucks when along the boards. He may not be as strong as Nate , but your Statement reeks of simple hockey knowledge.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Where do people figure Marchand fits in on these rankings? Some stats below that he's been posting are incredible:

Regular Season (2016-2020):
Points - 5th but 3rd in points/game behind only McDavid and Kucherov
Goals - 10th (6 ahead of MacKinnon in 20 less games played)
Assists - 5th behind McDavid, Kucherov, Kane and Wheeler
+/- 2nd among forwards at +83 (first place is Panarin at +91)
Game winning goals - 1st with 30 (Kucherov is 2nd with 28)
Shorthanded points - 1st with 19
ES points - 6th

Playoffs (2016-2020):
Points: 1st with 56 points, Kuznetsov is 2nd, Kucherov 3rd.
PPG: 15th, 1.02ppg (MacKinnon is 1st with 1.33ppg)
Game winning goals: Tied-3rd

In addition to those offensive stats, he's arguably a top 3 penalty killer and has a reputation for being a strong 3 zone players, not just one zone like some of the guys ahead of him (not that being a 1 zone player is a bad thing, if you're putting up 100 points or whatever).

Just curious to see where HF thinks he really should be rated.

Marchand is easily in the top 10, but people don't like him so they let their feelings get in the way.

5th in points and tied for 3rd in PPG over the past 4 years and has ranked 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th in Hart voting.

But somehow he's outside the top 10 for half the people.

Reactions: pi314

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Marchand is easily in the top 10, but people don't like him so they let their feelings get in the way.

5th in points and tied for 3rd in PPG over the past 4 years and has ranked 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th in Hart voting.

But somehow he's outside the top 10 for half the people.

He's the complete package. There are so few players out there like him.

His modest draft ranking might also still influence people for some reason.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Mackinnon had 25 points this year through 2 rounds lol hes the consensus best player in the league
So because he had a hot streak at the right time now means hes the best player in the league?

Two Art Ross> Zero
McDavid has never been less than third in the league in PPG since he entered the league IIRC

Hes still the best player until MacKinnon wins a single award

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Exactly what a huge homer would say. I guess 75% of people are wrong and you're just smarter than everyone else.

You can argue McDavid is a better player but shot is not even debatable.
Less goals on hundreds of more shots. Lower shot % above expected which accounts for all sorts of factors like where shots are taken from. Go on thinking Mack has a better shot because he likes to take 40ft shots, and you like the eye test for him scoring goals in stride. That is one type of shot. McDavid is much better at elevating the puck in close. Also has a much better backhander. Those are also a type of shot no?

Being a lower IQ player and making low percentage plays doesn't mean he has a better shot.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
So because he had a hot streak at the right time now means hes the best player in the league?

Two Art Ross> Zero
McDavid has never been less than third in the league in PPG since he entered the league IIRC

Hes still the best player until MacKinnon wins a single award

I honestly hope MacKinnon never wins hardware. His stans are already unbearable with no awards, no 100 point seasons, and no further advancement in the playoffs.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Less goals on hundreds of more shots. Lower shot % above expected which accounts for all sorts of factors like where shots are taken from. Go on thinking Mack has a better shot because he likes to take 40ft shots, and you like the eye test for him scoring goals in stride. That is one type of shot. McDavid is much better at elevating the puck in close. Also has a much better backhander. Those are also a type of shot no?

Being a lower IQ player and making low percentage plays doesn't mean he has a better shot.
Apparently over 75% of people agree with me but feel free to plug your ears and go lalal I can't hear them.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why reply if you have no arguement.
Your only argument is literally shot% and have had like 10 different people tell you that has nothing to do with how good a player's shot it.

Ovechkin has a career % of 12.7% while guys like Thornton has had seasons where he shot over 17%. All shooting percentage shows is they're more selective with their shots.

Ever think McDavid chooses where he shoots more carefully because he knows he can't beat the goalie clean?

Also just because someone can score more goals doesn't mean they have a better shot, Ryan Smyth scored 30 goals and probably had the worst shot in the league.

Don't know why I even bother, if 75% of people telling you something doesn't change your mind then nothing will.

Look at where MacKinnon scores his goals from vs where McDavid scores his goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattySnipes

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Your only argument is literally shot% and have had like 10 different people tell you that has nothing to do with how good a player's shot it.

Ovechkin has a career % of 12.7% while guys like Thornton has had seasons where he shot over 17%. All shooting percentage shows is they're more selective with their shots.

Ever think McDavid chooses where he shoots more carefully because he knows he can't beat the goalie clean?

Also just because someone can score more goals doesn't mean they have a better shot, Ryan Smyth scored 30 goals and probably had the worst shot in the league.

Don't know why I even bother, if 75% of people telling you something doesn't change your mind then nothing will.

Look at where MacKinnon scores his goals from vs where McDavid scores his goals.

My arguements aren't just shot totals. Reread what I've posted. Lots of data. You in the other hand think the eye test and a poll is enough.

I guess if an anonymous poll is enough for you you must agree that Mackinnon has never been a Hart or Lindsay caliber player then. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad