TSN analysts dub Nathan MacKinnon the best player in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
What is the point of 17 pages of discussion for the top 2 players of the NHL that are neck and neck. One is better Monday, then the other guy switches up Tuesday.

I see a common theme from Avs fans always insisting their guy is the best. See: Makar > Dahlin AINEC!!!1

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
What is the point of 17 pages of discussion for the top 2 players of the NHL that are neck and neck. One is better Monday, then the other guy switches up Tuesday.

Because one is clearly better than the other. Its not one is better one day, the other another. McDavid has been better by a fair margin since he entered the league.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It’s not important. That’s the joke. People are complaining about MacKinnon in the playoffs but the Oilers can’t even make a deep enough run to complain about.

Right well they've both gone as far as each other so I didn't get the joke of him not getting to a game 7, unless you just forgot the Oilers 17' run (or that Drai was a part, a BIG part of that) and were referring to last few years then I get what youre saying...

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Okay. I was wrong and went overboard, my mistake. I still don't think a team that's made the playoffs 5 times in 20 years, which includes the decade of darkness, should be lauded for it's success. Especially when comparing to a franchise that has only been around since 96 and has made the postseason in 16 of those 24 years with two championships to boot.

The Avalanche are running on a 66% success rate on making the post season compared to Edmontons 50%. Been an Oilers fan for a long time but I don't think anyone on our side should be throwing stones. Glass houses and all.

IT's funny what you can do with taking a decade out, beleive it or not remove the Sabres decade of darkness, and they have the 7th best winning perentage in NHL History. Without a cup...over a 40 year period. (without the last decade)..I've checked this fact a few teams, it's still hard to believe, even with the decade of darkness, I believe there still in the top half overall. And that 7th best is not factoring in anything past 2010, so what teams have done since then doesen't count.

I don't know what you guys have to argue about at the end of the day, multiple cups, a playoff team, and arguably the best center/s in the league...

Because one is clearly better than the other. Its not one is better one day, the other another. McDavid has been better by a fair margin since he entered the league.

Absolutely right. It's not neck and neck, I can see a same tier argument though...maybe

Last edited:

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Can't wait until the regular season starts and people realize Mcdavid is still king

Yeah. I can't wait for the regular season to start when Mack and his fully stacked Avalanche will be working their way to #1 seed while McDavid and the Oilers battle for another bottom 10 draft pick.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
His assuptions are strange. For instance harder =/= better. Lots of fringe NHLers, even beer league guys can shoot the puck very hard. Accuracy, and knowing when to shoot are more important. McDavid blows Mackinnon away in that regard. Mack is a bit to shot happy, my biggest criticism of his game.

True. William Nylander's wrister is legitimately harder than Matthews' but they're not even in the same ballpark accuracy-wise.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This stat is interesting. When you consider the flow of the game and momentum, of course playing for Colorado is an advantage for MacKinnon over McDavid.

Oilers forward depth was too unreliable - Ferda Oil

"Here are McDavid and Draisaitl’s records when they’re in the line-up but do not have a multi-point game. Nathan MacKinnon is included to provide context, and maybe take a shot at anyone who thinks the Colorado Avalanche centre deserves to win the Hart trophy this season.

McDavid: 7-12-2

Draisaitl: 10-20-8

MacKinnon: 22-15-4

The 30th-placed Ottawa Senators had 62 points in 71 games this season. McDavid and Draisaitl’s records pro-rate to 54 and 52 points over 71 games. Only the Detroit Red Wings were worse.

The Avalanche are a playoff team regardless of whether MacKinnon has a big night and that’s partly why its two stars have a legitimate chance of winning the Stanley Cup this season. The Oilers, on the other hand, were a pig wearing McDavid and Draisaitl shaded lipstick. The two either dominated or they lost the game."

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I see a common theme from Avs fans always insisting their guy is the best. See: Makar > Dahlin AINEC!!!1
No need to say dumb shit to try to get your point across. You and I both know that "Makar > Dahlin AINEC!!!1" has never been said by an Avs fan here. You made a strawman because you wanted to take a shot at Avs fans but you couldn't be assed to write a real post about what you wanted to say, wouldn't be as much of a zinger in that case.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
It’s pretty common knowledge that McDavid typically cheats offensively and gets burned for it on his defensive game. It’s nothing new

Might as well join the brawl since there is no hockey :(

McD cheats defensively, and to balance that, well.. it's common knowledge that Draisatl cheats as well (not canadian, can be officially stated). How do the Oilers fix the lack of roleplayers and responsible players? Yes, you guessed it... They keep on picking more players like McD, Drai & Neal by getting the WORST plusminus players from Nashville in Turris AND Leafs in Bounceback-Barrie :party:.

Reactions: 63 others

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
McDavid is the best player every day of the year.

MacKinnon is the 2nd best player.

Both great players.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
McDavid's defensive game is just pure garbage. He doesn't care about defence or winning games as much as he cares about winning scoring titles and gaining individual glory. Constantly, as the center of his line, he is somewhere behind the blue line when a guy in the slot he's supposed to cover for scores.

How anyone can think that McDavid is the best player in the world is beyond me. Realstically he wouldn't be in my top 20 to win a playoff series.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
They will always find a bug on Mack. First it was he needs to do that again. Then it was Rantanen that made him good because he was terrible before he came in. Then it was him not being able to put up 100 points despite playing with one of the best line and now it's Mack not producing in game 7's when he literally had 25 points in 15 games good for 4th in the leading scorers down by 9 points playing 2 less playoffs rounds. I wonder what's next.
Welcome to the life of a tampa fan where people hate to acknowledge that our players are good until after a few years.

Reactions: Spilot23

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
McDavid's defensive game is just pure garbage. He doesn't care about defence or winning games as much as he cares about winning scoring titles and gaining individual glory. Constantly, as the center of his line, he is somewhere behind the blue line when a guy in the slot he's supposed to cover for scores.

How anyone can think that McDavid is the best player in the world is beyond me. Realstically he wouldn't be in my top 20 to win a playoff series.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking at here.

Reactions: MessierII and Varan

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
upload_2020-10-9_13-53-45-png.371628
I got mocked on here for suggesting that Hedman was not only the best defenseman in the world but a top 3-5 all around player in the world.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I can see that. One poster above said he would not take McDavid top 20 to win a playoff series :laugh::laugh:

Is that so unusual though? He's only ever won one round and that was years ago. This time Chicago was very beatable, yet in the end it wasn't even close.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Am I crazy for not thinking this is all that controversial? Seems like right now there is no undisputed best in the world. Any of MacKinnon, McDavid and Draisaitl are an acceptable choice at this moment and only one of them did much in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->