Trying to get back into WWE

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I watched when I was younger a ton, like never missed a Raw or Smackdown back in the Attitude Era (like 1999-2001 probably, maybe a little longer than that) and watched when I was even younger during the earlier days but not as religiously.

I just subscribed to the WWE Network and I'm watching all the old stuff which is unbelievably amazing (watched the 1993 Royal Rumble last night...one of my favorite events of all time because it was the first PPV we ever got!). I tried watching some of the new stuff from the past few years but can't really find a guy to root for or against. It seems like the days of having gimmicks is over. It used to be everyone had some sort of gimmick back in the Attitude Era. Some were silly or ridiculous, others were pretty in depth. Now it seems like they are almost trying to be more like UFC guys for the most part and just want to be the best athlete instead of the days of Edge and Christian coming out talking about how they "so totally reek of awesomeness" and posing for the cameras, or Kurt Angle's Three I's, or the Right to Censor, or the Godfather, etc.

Are there any guys like that that still exist that I am just missing? It looks like the closest thing to a gimmick from that era I have seen is Bray Wyatt, whom I like and is probably my favorite guy at the moment. Who should I be looking for? Thanks!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's a tough time right now. I think that is probably even an understatement.

Any chance you would give AEW or NXT a shot? Those 2 shows are amazing. They are simple and more for people who enjoyed wrestling for a long time. WWE is more entertainment and there are some good characters, but the writing will drive you nuts.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's a tough time right now. I think that is probably even an understatement.

Any chance you would give AEW or NXT a shot? Those 2 shows are amazing. They are simple and more for people who enjoyed wrestling for a long time. WWE is more entertainment and there are some good characters, but the writing will drive you nuts.

He can also try NWA Power on youtube, which is trying to create a more old school style of TV show

Reactions: ColePens

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
NWA Power is my current favorite promotion show.

I don't know why anyone would want to get back into WWE now when they have the network and an immeasurable amount of old stuff most, including me, have yet to see. With the WWE product the way it's been the past 5 years or so you can see a steady decline. It's very hard to get into these days because there's a lack of storylines outside of professional rivalry. When they do try storylines, fans will crap on it as soon as it starts unless their collective favorite guy or girl is involved and things get abandoned. Gimmicks can't survive because heels can't get heat. If they do something the fans don't like, the fans turn their ire on Vince and the writers instead. The only way to get heat is to be a straight up bad wrestler now, with the odd exception here and there.

1992 WCW Saturday Night is a great show to binge. They also have the hidden gems collection and I will never tire of anything from 1997 WWF. Just do some research into the past and pick whatever sounds interesting, because today's product will just disappoint you while also having at least around 8 hours a week of inconsequential content.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I watched when I was younger a ton, like never missed a Raw or Smackdown back in the Attitude Era (like 1999-2001 probably, maybe a little longer than that) and watched when I was even younger during the earlier days but not as religiously.

I just subscribed to the WWE Network and I'm watching all the old stuff which is unbelievably amazing (watched the 1993 Royal Rumble last night...one of my favorite events of all time because it was the first PPV we ever got!). I tried watching some of the new stuff from the past few years but can't really find a guy to root for or against. It seems like the days of having gimmicks is over. It used to be everyone had some sort of gimmick back in the Attitude Era. Some were silly or ridiculous, others were pretty in depth. Now it seems like they are almost trying to be more like UFC guys for the most part and just want to be the best athlete instead of the days of Edge and Christian coming out talking about how they "so totally reek of awesomeness" and posing for the cameras, or Kurt Angle's Three I's, or the Right to Censor, or the Godfather, etc.

Are there any guys like that that still exist that I am just missing? It looks like the closest thing to a gimmick from that era I have seen is Bray Wyatt, whom I like and is probably my favorite guy at the moment. Who should I be looking for? Thanks!

Good luck. It's tough to find something that will match the stuff you presumably liked from around 2000. You're right that in recent times it mostly comes down to who is the best athlete and endless feuds over respect.

WWE is extremely dry. Bad storylines and most wrestlers seem to have no idea how to do decent gimmick work, or at the very least no motivation. You might want to check out some stuff from The New Daniel Bryan in 2018 into 2019. He's the best talent in wrestling recently and that was a fun, creative run. AEW has some people who do good gimmick work and there is at least an effort to pursue some sort of WCW tendencies but it's very inconsistent in terms of storylines. Jericho has been doing great gimmick work in AEW though. As mentioned, you might enjoy NWA Power on youtube. The in-ring wrestling isn't great but the episodes are usually fun (especially the early episodes of the "second season") and some of the wrestlers have clearly put a lot of effort into their gimmick work. NXT has high workrate wrestling but the storytelling is mostly poor. Gimmicks are more consistent than in regular WWE though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If you’re going to watch, just watch and see who you like. Of course it’s harder right now with empty arenas.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m watching 2002 WWE right now and I’m in the middle of Deacon Batista/Cena/Lesnar/Mysterio/Orton joining the fold. Eddie Guerrero (I think he was briefly let go?) and Benoit (injury) are back too

They’ll never have a wave like that ever again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad