Try, or not try? (Playoffs)

What should GMBM do for the rest of the season?

• Add some help. Try and pick up some inexpensive pieces to bolster the team

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Stand completely pat. Allow the current group to decide their own fate.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Try some “hockey trades” (players in, players out). Change the mix.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Sell off small pieces. Nothing that will cripple the team, but get some small futures along way

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Total sell off. Screw this season, sell as much as you can for the future!

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
But trading a couple of depth players isn't exactly burning it to the ground. It's exactly the way to finish 9-12 in the conference: becoming slightly worse in the illusion of building a better future, but neither really improving prospects and draft capital nor being as bad as tanking or aggressively selling teams. I think that limbo is the very worst position the club can find itself in.

Are you implying we need to sell what is left of our core?
I'd sell anyone whose name isn't Ovechkin if they return assets, sure.

Look the team checked the box for being loyal to the core. They kept them together for 5 years post-Cup, including giving them raises and limited movement clauses. There's no further obligation at this point, except to Ovie.

Even then, how far are they supposed to go in pursuit of 895? If it takes another three years are they supposed to put off the future of the franchise to make it happen?

The team needs high end C and D prospects, or a plan to acquire high end players at those positions. Until they do that they won't be a serious team.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I want to win first. And today, that seems like with whomever is next man up. To me the biggest influencers are outcome of next 4 games and how severe the injuries to Fever and Oshie are. It will be hard to make a run with them down more than a couple of weeks.

Don’t trade Chucky and Dowd… nothing to do with this year, but we’ll need them next year as I think we’ll be better and will Carberry will have had a year to implement his system.

I also think we upgrade the lineup and get picks by moving Patches and Edmundson while picking up some expiring contracts (with acquiring picks). This also helps solve the Hershey roster issues. And yes, this means keeping Mantha and extending him hopefully on a one or two year deal.

It’s a lot of movement and very hard to pull off.

Reactions: Kolzilla

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
somewhere in the last 2 options. no matter what a rebuild take 3-5 years minimum so even if they traded for a young up and coming player (23-26) the odds are that he wont be part of the core of the team when they start to be good again. So as others have said they are in no mans land until ovi retires. No one that is available is going to push this team over the top unless cinderella miraceles happen. At the same time, im sure Ovi doesnt want to lose every single game the rest of his career. Id be interested in cashing in players that can upgrade draft picks in 2-3 years. So If team x would give up their first a few years down the road for Mantha(example) plus some lesser picks prospects the caps should be in. IMO none of the propects before this past draft are relevant to the future of the organization as they were late first rounders at best. Cash those in for what you can get. Really only wouldnt trade Ovi out of Loyalty and thanks. EVERYONE else (not including last draft class) is available for the right deal

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
One thing that could aid their chase for a spot: Philadelphia could conceivably sell. I'm skeptical they'll weaken their chances considerably but they're still rebuilding and may bite the bullet a bit to adhere to the bigger picture. Pittsburgh seems poised to sell so that's one less team you'd think.

However Tampa has a lot of cap space to utilize now. New Jersey should be motivated to be aggressive and try to work their way in. Those two seem like the most motivated to be aggressive buyers among the East's bubble teams. But it is thinning to the point where perhaps Washington could pull off a legit forward-focused hockey trade and perhaps ride a wave in. No idea if it's feasible or realistic to expect something of that magnitude to align so conveniently. But that's what it would take IMO.

Flyers might sell, sure. But they seem content on staying as is and while they are listening, it sounds like they aren't going to sell unless someone blows them out of water with an offer. Latest we've heard on both Walker and Seeler is that they are trying to find a way to keep them. But for Flyers, that decision is much tougher than it is for the Capitals.

I don't buy a scenario where the Capitals wouldn't sell and the Penguins would, as of right now. Penguins sit 1pt behind us, with the exact same point %. Why would they sell? It's a bridge they haven't crossed yet. MacLellan crossed that bridge half-way year ago. I think it's a massive week for both us and the Penguins. But as of now, i'd put us selling at 70% and Penguins selling at 30%. We were here year ago. Capitals sold and re-tooled, Penguins bought. Penguins bought again in the summer, big time.

I put Tampa out of reach for us, already. They sit where they are because they missed Vasilevsky dearly. Their D sucks right now so it's going to be a short Playoff run for them but i don't think we can catch them. They seem eager to add, too, as you mentioned.

New Jersey are apparently working hard to make an early deal. They seem set on buying right now. It doesn't look great for them but they do play both Sharks and Ducks this week, so they are right there in it.

We were right there in it year ago too. When we traded Orlov and Hathaway year ago, we were 2 points away from the Playoffs. Right now we are 6 points back. 8 points away from WC spot. Last season we were on a losing streak when we sold, but still like i said, much closer to a spot. Right now we are further back, and while our last 4 games have been great, our record in the last 10 is still only 4-3-3.

This week likely sorts out this quest:

Capitals: Sens at home. Then Red Wings (rest advantage: DET). Flyers and Coyotes too at home. Massive week, regulation loss against the Red Wings kind of puts that chase to bed. Flyers is their game of the season, but they need to take care of Sens and Coyotes too. Sens are rolling so that's tough. 3 home games this week, just 1 away. They'll only have 10 home games left after this week, and those include some very tough opponents. Also notable that they don't play until thursday next week. They play the Penguins there, day before the deadline day.

Red Wings: vs. Capitals (rest advantage: DET). vs. Isles, massive game. Panthers too at home.

Lightning: @ Flyers, massive game. Then they can put the Sabres to bed at home with a win. Also Habs at home.

Flyers: vs. TBL, massive game. @ Capitals, massive game. Then Sens at home.

Devils: California road trip. First Sharks, Ducks and finally Kings. No back-to-backs.

Penguins: 4 games on the road, geez. @ Canucks, Kraken, Flames and Oilers. That's a brutal week for them, given it's 2 very tough teams and Flames who are rolling.

Isles: @ Stars, @ Red Wings, which is a massive game. Then Bruins at home. Really tough week.

Sabres: Tough week ahead, they are basically out if they don't beat atleast 3 of FLA, TBL, VGK and WPG.

Got to hand it to the team though. I thought we were going to be much further away from the chase, but here we are. This close to the deadline and they still are right there in it. They are going to need a really huge week here to make up some ground though, as the rest of the schedule is going to be a really tough one.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
At this point if they try to make a playoff push it would be for no other reason than to just be able to say that that they did. Management has failed this team from the start. They were old last year and stayed old this year. Instead of recognizing the issues they traded for Edmundson instead of younger D or giving their young guys a shot. Two centers are missing. Not many viable center options available via trade. Short of Kuzy coming back in 2018 form this season is toast. They should sell everything they can and replace with expiring contracts so that Hershey is not gutted (as another poster wisely pointed out). Another thing they should do is replace management and let the new GM decide where to take the team from here. Last 2 years have been an abomination, last year may have been a disappointment but this year was predictable. Only surprise here is that they still have a fighting chance at this point. Tear it down, buy out whoever is necessary to buy out. Use the cap space and picks to put a team together for the next 2-3 years and then rebuild away in time for new shiny arena.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
We were right there in it year ago too. When we traded Orlov and Hathaway year ago, we were 2 points away from the Playoffs. Right now we are 6 points back. 8 points away from WC spot. Last season we were on a losing streak when we sold, but still like i said, much closer to a spot. Right now we are further back, and while our last 4 games have been great, our record in the last 10 is still only 4-3-3.
The Caps were 2 points behind Detroit (the 8 seed by points on 2/23/23, the day when Orlov and Hathaway were traded), but Detroit was holding 3 games in hand. We were actually 'closer' to NYI, who was 5 points up but with the Caps holding a game in hand.

This is why I strongly prefer to measure playoff races by points percentage rather than points. Caps currently hold 3 games in hand over 8th place (by points percentage) Philadelphia. If we win those 3, the two teams are tied in points with 67 points each.

Caps points percentage today - .545 (4-1-2 in the last 7)
Caps points percentage on 2/23/23 - .517 (1-6-0 in the last 7)

For me, I would small sell regardless. Trade Mantha, Edmundson, Patches, and NAK for a decent return (or hold them if no one offers anything of substance). If we fall apart, I'd prefer a bigger sell (Lindgren, Dowd). I would not add under any circumstances. If opportunities arise, I would definitely look to weaponize cap space as others have stated.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Some combo of the hockey trades and small sell-off with a lean towards small sell-offs, unless the team plummets approaching the deadline.

Trade the pending UFAs. I wouldn't be upset if one was moved in a Sandin-type deal, rather than picks/prospects.

If they're reasonably valued in the trade market, move any of: TVR/Jensen (but just one unless the standings get ugly), Dowd, Bear (doubtful), Kuemper, Milano.

I don't think that combination of moves notably hurts the team this year or next. That might be too much faith in the call-ups that would replace the outgoing players, but it's also banking on the likes of McMichael, Protas, NAK, and Beck improving their contributions with more ice time.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I agree with posters who have expressed aversion or at least concern with filling too many NHL slots with Hershey guys. The AHL squad has a chance for a repeat and I'd try to avoid any moves that would significantly mess with the chemistry there. Sure, any call-ups could be back in Chocolatetown for their playoffs, but having most of the same guys dressed for the last month or so of their RS would better prepare them for the postseason. That said, a couple of outgoing players like Edmondson and Mantha could allow guys like AA who is routinely scratched to get ice time in the NHL.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
One or two Bears joining the big club for 4-5 weeks won't gut Hershey. Especially if someone like Mantha with his $5.7m is going the other way, the Caps can even take a so-so NHL'er off the hands of their trading partner like Smith last year which could leave the Bears squad unaffected.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One or two Bears joining the big club for 4-5 weeks won't gut Hershey. Especially if someone like Mantha with his $5.7m is going the other way, the Caps can even take a so-so NHL'er off the hands of their trading partner like Smith last year which could leave the Bears squad unaffected.

We already have 4 right? Open 3 more spots…where do we think reinforcements are coming from? Hershey’s arguably 6-7 best players (skaters) isn’t gutting them?

You’re right about a possible Smith type pickup though, if those are available for free.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
You’re right about a possible Smith type pickup though, if those are available for free.
Given how cap space will likely be an issue for almost any trading partner (CapFriendly shows Edm at ~$2.37m in deadline cap space; Det is much better off), the Caps can take a surplus player/contract in lieu of some/all of the retention.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Id imagine we can take an expiring contract back, like Craig Smith last year, and Hershey would be fine.

And yeah it probably will only be 1 or 2 guys. Right now it’s bad because of injuries but that can happen anytime. And frankly if it means hurting Hershey for their playoff run, so be it. If there’s spots to see what Miroshnichenko or Frank or Lapierre or Dube can do down the stretch with NHL time, I would want to evaluate that going into next season.

Not to downplay Hershey needs, but they will probably be fine.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
While im on the ’cautious seller’ camp, i want to also disagree that youd have to suck into bottom3 and completely burn it down to have success through catching a generational talent from draft.

Vegas isnt the perfect example, id use Hurricanes as a model franchise. I mean, sure they had couple bad years and got Svechnnikov as 2nd overall, but its not like they have McDavid or Crosby or Bedard. They got couple quality players with their high picks, but their current success with half a decade of contending isnt based on that. They got their star player from 2nd round, but its not based on that either. You can find quality from later picks aswell, as you can by trades and free agency too. Draft isnt the ”golden ticket” to build. You are more likely to get your Slafkovskys, Kakkos and Kotkaniemis before you get your hands on Bedard.

And, so the Canes current success is based on their identity. The face of their team is their coach, who runs the team with passion, loyalty and working hard. And they’ve done some good signings and trades to build around it, but overally it comes from the culture they have achieved there. Their identity is easy to buy in for newcomers and it helps them to succeed.

Obviously its far from easy to copy, but one thing thats sure is not part of that is losing a lot, and throwing seasons off to lose more.

Carbery actually has a little same vibe as RBA as a coach, and we are already propably overachieving because of it. We already have couple guys in system (Lenny, Cristall, Miro) who could give us high quality level of play in the close future, and who knows if we can luck into finding a ”sebastian aho” in this draft or the next one. Or maybe we can find an ”Eichel trade” to fill that hole. Its not like we are for sure ”doomed for mediocricity forever” if we dont go scorched earth right away.

Not saying its the only way, just saying ”full blown rebuild” isnt the only option to catch success.

Sure, Canes dont have cups with this core yet, but with todays parity that definately shouldnt be the only measuring stick. Get in there, stay in there, and if you catch the momentum your day will come. McDavid, Bedard and Matthews still have combined of zero cups aswell.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If we sell, we should also be replacing by taking on expiring contracts that can play in Washington. This will allow us to send players down and fill out Hershey roster. They need to be on the roster March 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad