Try, or not try? (Playoffs)

What should GMBM do for the rest of the season?

• Add some help. Try and pick up some inexpensive pieces to bolster the team

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Stand completely pat. Allow the current group to decide their own fate.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Try some “hockey trades” (players in, players out). Change the mix.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Sell off small pieces. Nothing that will cripple the team, but get some small futures along way

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Total sell off. Screw this season, sell as much as you can for the future!

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So we have a very mixed board. Some are hopeful and think the team is close enough to actually fight for a playoff spot — while others are cheeky and want to sell no matter what.

And everything in between.

So let’s do a poll? Simple questions.

What do you all think??

State your case—

Mine:
I’m of the mind that IF they can get 7/10 pts or more from the next 5 games (OTT, @DET, PHI, AZ, @PITT) going into the deadline, they should add a little bit (using low rung assets — thin the heard a little bit, and/or later rd draft picks, like 5th or higher). Whatever that can get them. They may need some capable NHL bodies, AND they can take on salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's been a nice story. A pulse. But they know the math. While the East is not formidable top to bottom, coming out of the deadline they play 12 games in 22 days to close out March. We reference games in hand...well, that's how they make those up. Brutal. Hard to expect them to grind every period to the extent needed to scrap their way through March and have a shot. The pace of the schedule in Apriil isn't much better. They need to add to have a good shot. Could there be some straight cap dumps they could take on? Say, from broke ass Arizona?

If they're waffling the responsible course is selling the rentals at least. I'd explore a one-year deal with Mantha since he's so productive 5v5 but chances are he'll bet on himself and there aren't a ton of top six rental forwards. Maybe they won't trade Dowd or Lindgren but Pacioretty, Edmundson and Mantha ought to be moved. Add picks, maybe open a roster spot for either Lapierre or an acquired younger player ala Sandin and give it a shot. But they know what they're up against. Games against DET/PHI before the deadline will be huge but, either way, it's such a narrow path. This run has been heartening but this is the end of month five of the season.

MacLellan won't undercut them prematurely but they know the math. It's disappointing that even in a year where NJD/PIT are underwhelming and OTT/BUF still haven't figured it out they still couldn't carve out a niche. Philadelphia has done it all year and it doesn't take greatness. But the mix remains too slow, both physically and mentally, and their general recipe too thin.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm for what makes the team better in the long run. I like the Sandin move last year and want to see some vets not committed to staying shipped out for futures. What I don't want is trading with metro teams, especially the NYR unless it's super overpayment. The team is playing well, however there is a short timeline before the TDL and a lot ground to gain and hoping Tampa, Philly, and Detroit fall off. I do want to see if any of the Hershey guys are going to be part of the long term plan which requires more NHL play time. Of course I'm always hoping we'll find a St Louis type find :). This is a business and we don't want to be the Flames with no direction.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd sell whatever we can aquire value for and try to bring in tweener NHL level players to fill their spots so we don't gut the Bears playoff run. Kind of like the Craig Smith throw in last year being a side note of a bigger deal. Probably not worth selling guys off for late round picks if it takes a body from Hershey to fill their spot. The Bears have a legitimate chance at repeating and I think it did wonders for the likes of Mikey, Protas and Beck. Couldn't hurt for Lappy, Vinny and some of the former black aces now playing to repeat or first year guys like Miro and Stevenson to win. Need to get Sgarbossa, Dube and Lappy back to Hershey.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'd sell whatever we can aquire value for and try to bring in tweener NHL level players to fill their spots so we don't gut the Bears playoff run. Kind of like the Craig Smith throw in last year being a side note of a bigger deal. Probably not worth selling guys off for late round picks if it takes a body from Hershey to fill their spot. The Bears have a legitimate chance at repeating and I think it did wonders for the likes of Mikey, Protas and Beck. Couldn't hurt for Lappy, Vinny and some of the former black aces now playing to repeat or first year guys like Miro and Stevenson to win. Need to get Sgarbossa, Dube and Lappy back to Hershey.
The Bears angle is a really good point. I hadn’t been thinking that way, but B2B would be epic. They are clearly the best team in the AHL — record wise — right now. Lappy and Co getting another title would be important.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sell, to a degree.

I like watching competitive hockey but our window isn't open. Fill up the board by selling the expiring contracts. I actually think we are in a pretty good spot in a way that while we are very slim on top-end talent, we do have plenty of options to try in the middle-6. Several players in Hershey are having good seasons. I wouldn’t mind giving another shot to HHA and Alexeyev, so for me, it makes sense to sell Edmundson. If it were up to me, i'd move Jensen too since he's already on the decline and it’s likely only going to get worse because he relies on his skating a lot. He also should return something decent at the deadline from team that miss out on Tanev.

They should listen on anyone else too but the prices should be at premium for guys with term left. If someone gives up 1st for Dowd, you move him any day off the week.

I don't think goalies return much at the deadline, so i'd keep the Playoffs hopes alive and keep Lindgren (unless someone pays 1st) and rather focus on exploring if there is a team willing to take Kuemper instead. Lindgren is by far the biggest reason this team is even this close to Playoffs spot right now and even if we did sell, we would still hold that small chance to make a run at WC spot.

That said, i'd keep eyes open in the buying side too. It'd be shrewd move if they managed to sell and flip some of those assets for some young, offensive talent like Mittelstadt.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
tl;dr:

If they hit the point before the TDL that they don't believe they can keep pace with the WC teams they should sell some guys.

If they're in it, stand pat.

Simple as that.

Details:

If out of it, we know the "core" of the team and prospects they're likely to keep. The other guys may or may not get moved, depending on return. Patches and Mantha are the only ones you'd have to say "get what you can". Anyone else needs to be a "hockey trade" of some kind.

If in it, then it's a miracle and you have to assume there's something "in the room" that's responsible. So don't disrupt the chemistry. In general, selling off key pieces while still not realistically out of it sends a very bad signal through the ranks and around the league. If the players are still fighting, don't sell anyone. The worst thing to do in this case is shuffle the pieces and think it will somehow flip the team from gritty underdogs overperforming for a first year coach to Cup Contenders. More likely they'll become a deflated hodge-podge headed for a mid-round draft position, carrying a bad taste into the offseason and beyond. This is not a "one guy away" squad/year. See how far they can go and then adjust for next year in the summer.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda
-twabby

I can't answer this question because it depends on if they are rebuilding or retooling. If they are rebuilding then sell Mantha pretty much no matter what. If they are retooling then I'd try to re-sign him. No one is going to be more effective for his likely next salary than Mantha.

Similarly with Lindgren: if they are retooling then you probably just keep him unless you get a premium for him, because who is replacing him that we be a better value. If they are rebuilding then maybe just sell him now while his value is at a peak because he won't be around when they are done rebuilding.

Last edited:

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I say sell pieces that are UFA. Mantha must go, but everyone else stays for now.

Except if we can move a defenseman too. I’m ready for AA to play every night.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
If the team can keep their position (equal with Tampa and 1 fewer than Philly in 'points lost') during the next couple if games, I'd prefer GM doing nothing at all than trying to sell what he can for whatever return.

It's not a given at all that Dowd, Mantha and the goalies can return 1st rounders or impact prospects (especially with recent injuries). And they definitely won't return top 10 picks that are needed for a true rebuild. So, trading our depth guys likely just won't make the team or the prospect pool that much better, at best we will add some fringe NHL players that we have in abundance.

And if there are no good calls, just have the guys show what they're worth. We have many players who were champions on the NHL, AHL or junior level, they know the benefit of clenching their teeth and grinding it out when the wins don't come easily. Selling when the playoffs seem realistic and we don't really have some top notch coveted rentals sends a bad message for the current group, potential free agents and even future players (do we want Leonard to go from a well-played together line that has won everything on their level to a team where losing is the norm or even the goal?). Yes, we are unlikely to do much damage in playoffs, but at least getting there is far better than just going through motions the last 25 games. Having a 7-month break without meaningful games contributed to a poor first half of the season, definitely not ideal to repeat that with even more players we want to see on our roster for many more seasons.

Of course, it doesn't mean we should avoid great offers for our players. But stay away from trading away everyone possible just for the sakes of doing so.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Try. Always.
If we don't make it in it looks very possible to slide down 8 or more spots in League rankings for better draft spot

TDL:
- prefer not to deal Dowd, goalies, TVR/Jensen (barring King's Ransom)
- no problem dealing Martha/MaxPower/Edmundson

Offseason:
- hope to make 1 big FWD signing/trade for goal scorer

Reactions: um

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Reluctantly, the only conclusion that I can come to is to sell. I love the recent effort, am mad that it wasn't around earlier in the season, and the Caps have held on a lot longer than I thought they would.

Losing five guys in as many games? That's an absolute bastard to overcome, and they have a self-made deficit to overcome in the points race.

That's a lot of overcoming to do. I think it's a big ask for an elite team, much less whatever the Caps have been this season.

I think selling is the smartest move for the organization in the next three years.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Guys who are traded almost invariably say afterwards some variation of, "I know this is a business," but that public stance may not match their or their teammates' true feelings. OTOH, UFAs rarely give their most recent club a home town discount, so they are well aware that it's a business at the pro levels. We don't know how any of the prospective trade pieces fit into the locker room. If anyone who ends up being moved a) is clearly not in the cards for next season, or b) is someone who turned down a reasonable offer from BMac (thinking of Mantha in particular but there could be others), then a move before the deadline is more easily understood even if it isn't liked. Of course, any move requires an appropriate return in the form of player(s) or pick(s) (which always provides more fuel for disagreements on these boards).

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Always try. Always look for hockey trades.

Right now, I’d be auditioning as many young guys as I felt were near ready, injuries are forcing that already to some extent. Trade away Mantha and anyone else that makes sense if the value is high, but without gutting them during the fight….if you can.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If for some reason the Caps are able to get a first rounder for Mantha, Dowd, or someone like that, you gotta do it.

Otherwise I say go for it.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Sell everything of value.

I grew up with the 80s and 90s Caps. They were decent-to-good-teams who couldn't compete with the Islanders, Penguins and Oilers of the time when it counted. They didn't have the star power you need to compete for Cups.

I don't want to go through a couple more decades like that or worse, getting stuck in a rut where they finish 9th to 12th in the conference, never getting a chance to draft top talent.

So, I'd rather see them burn it to the ground and start over.

I don't think there's a single player on the roster that will be on this team the next time they advance to the third round. Maybe CMM in a 3rd line role.

So, what are we doing here? Trying to squeak into 8th to get blown out by Boston? No thanks.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The East is dogshit, which is the only hesitancy I have against selling. It's not unrealistic to think that a wild card team could represent the East in the SCF this year. Parity is one way to put it... mediocrity is another. A combination of injuries and regression have really leveled the playing field this season. Washington is a team lacking top end talent but strong in depth which normally wouldn't be a recipe for success but this year who knows, especially if they have strong goaltending.

On the other hand, while this recent stretch has been great I think the rash of injuries have made it harder to believe they should go for it. This is just a different team with and without Oshie and if he's out for a while that's tough, plus being down Mantha, Fehervary, and Dowd for any extended periods of time is real tough. That, and their terrible stretch when they went 2-6-2 in late Jan/early Feb probably makes this probably too big a hill to climb.

Their next four are: vs Ottawa, @ Detroit, vs Philly, and vs Arizona. The Arizona game is on 3/3 which should give them a clearer picture of where they are. If they can take 7 or maybe 6 points of the possible 8 and the out-of-town scoreboard is kind to them then things could get interesting. Ultimately, I think they'll come up a bit short and should sell and then use those assets to try and compete next year. You don't want to buy a stock on a "dead cat bounce" and this recent surge could very well be that.

We knew they'd be going through a transition period for the next season or two with a lot of money tied up to mediocre (or bad) players but the young guys are showing promise, Carberry has them playing like a team, and some of those bad contracts may be irrelevant. Trust the process and continue the retool.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Put it this way: they need a 98 point pace from here on out to reach the 92 points needed to qualify last season. That may or may not be enough. It's a very tall order for this group even when more fully healthy.

If they really want to give them a chance they need more firepower and there's not a wealth of it available. They shouldn't be in the Guentzel market. Zegras & Mittelstadt may be more of a draft week trade. Taking a shot on Kaliyev could be wise but it's not obvious he moves the needle immediately. Sandin's recent play has been much needed but they could still use more skill and production from the back-end to facilitate.

Structurally they have some okay pieces but they need to re-tailor the roster further, up the standard and be a bit more selective. Up front it's such a hodge-podge that it's hard to figure how their offensive woes won't continue. Adding Leonard can help from an enthusiasm and team spirit standpoint. All things considered I'd rather they concentrate on finishing with a top ~13 pick and keep the bigger picture front of mind than feel obliged to ride it out with Mantha & Pacioretty for the sake of it. They desperately need high-end breakthrough talent and it's not assured that a healthy amount of cap space will solve that issue.

Reactions: RedRocking

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't want to go through a couple more decades like that or worse, getting stuck in a rut where they finish 9th to 12th in the conference, never getting a chance to draft top talent.

So, I'd rather see them burn it to the ground and start over.
But trading a couple of depth players isn't exactly burning it to the ground. It's exactly the way to finish 9-12 in the conference: becoming slightly worse in the illusion of building a better future, but neither really improving prospects and draft capital nor being as bad as tanking or aggressively selling teams. I think that limbo is the very worst position the club can find itself in.

Are you implying we need to sell what is left of our core?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
One thing that could aid their chase for a spot: Philadelphia could conceivably sell. I'm skeptical they'll weaken their chances considerably but they're still rebuilding and may bite the bullet a bit to adhere to the bigger picture. Pittsburgh seems poised to sell so that's one less team you'd think.

However Tampa has a lot of cap space to utilize now. New Jersey should be motivated to be aggressive and try to work their way in. Those two seem like the most motivated to be aggressive buyers among the East's bubble teams. But it is thinning to the point where perhaps Washington could pull off a legit forward-focused hockey trade and perhaps ride a wave in. No idea if it's feasible or realistic to expect something of that magnitude to align so conveniently. But that's what it would take IMO.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Burning it down is pretty much a giant middle finger to Ovechkin/Carlson/Willie/Oshie
esp when MGMT said they'd support OV's remainder of career to stay competitive

IMO the next 2 years all we can do is try small retooling and if/when OV hits 895 then > burn it down/full tank/sell off starts at that point

Who knows, perhaps the young bucks will develop and we'll have some sort of Wilson/Strome/McMic/Protas/Miro/Leonard/Cristall that can score and full burn it down won't be necessary

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm fine with just staying the course. Sell pieces for good value if you can, maybe another Sandin-esque move for a Center using some picks regained from Dowd/Mantha.

Outside of Cellebrini is the draft really worth tanking for? I think building a culture and letting young guys like CMC, Protas, Malenstyn, etc. develop while waiting for some elite offensive talent to join them like Leonard/Cristall/Miro is a fine path to take. If they make the playoffs, even better. That's invaluable experience for the new core that's growing. Pure tanking just makes little sense in my mind with how the draft lottery works.

On paper it'd be nice to just get a few high draft picks, sure. But there are countless examples of teams that have been at the bottom for what feels like forever, not being able to fully utilize the high skill players because there's no culture or system in place. I like the building going on even if it means drafting a few picks later.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
Depends what happens here, but we lost ground yesterday and it was already an uphill battle. If we're going to have a legit chance at some playoff action, maybe do some hockey trades, try to get a little younger if we can. Otherwise everything must go.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Sell.

Sell the obvious UFA candidates. Mantha, Edmundson, Pacioretty for sure.

Listen on Lindgren, Dowd, NAK, Jensen and/or TVR. Make deals if you can get good assets back, with good being loosely defined as 'highly likely to be a regular contributor in the NHL'. (Be willing to, and or try to, trade the assets you get for a guy 'already a regular contributor in the NHL', ala Orlov/Hathway/Sandin.)

Ask TJ if there is somewhere he'd want to go. But don't trade him unless that team overpays.

When I look at who they will be battling in the Metro and for a wild card spot, I see a lot of teams that aren't going to be content missing the playoffs.
For the Lightning and Devils, it would be a massive letdown to miss. They'll buy.
The Wings might not feel ready yet to go "all in", but after missing the playoffs the last 7+ (i lost count) years, I'll bet that they feel this is a year worth pushing, and buy carefully.
Flyers, basically same as the Wings, but they have the "we were supposed to suck, but we're good instead, lets push to the finish life and make everyone look dumb" mentality.
The Penguins might buy, still trying to salvage hopes with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Karlsson.
(Carolina and Rangers are effectively in already .. but would likely add some pieces too.)

Prices will be high. I'd rather not spend much trying to keep pace with those teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad